Riviera Trans-Atlantic April 2015

Hambagahle

Had a great flight SFO to MIA on American this afternoon. Got thru MIA smoothly, picked up luggage quickly and a cab to Intercontinental Hotel. The girl at the front desk informed us that there were literally a 'boatload' of guests here that were sailing for Spain tomorrow. So just us and a 'few close friends' all in a wad so it seems.

Oh, Gerry, Clos is right across the street so a wine foraging outing is on tomorrow morning before heading for the ship. All liquor stores were closed today so we were informed. We can see the place from our 32nd floor windows.

So it's tally ho in many ways in the morning!

JMBobB

I'm seriously jealous. We were on this cruise last year and it was the best cruise I have ever done. Plan to book NY to Lisbon next year, hooked on transatlantics now, so relaxing.

Lots of my favourite posters are on board so should be a great thread

Have a great cruise everyone, I will be reading updates daily, and reliving our cruise.

We are now on board and waiting for our luggage to arrive so I can unpack.

We arrived at the Cruise Port at about 1040 and sat down and waited for 1100 boarding to be announced. Xavier, the Concierge, spoke to the waiting passengers to say that we would be boarding in order of suite and that boarding would start at 1100. Promptly at 1100 he asked people in the suites to come forward. We had a slight "hiccup" at registration because my passport had not been stamped on arrival in Miami - they have a new "kiosk" system for Immigration there and apparently passports are not stamped. (Ken, who travels in and out of the US on an American passport, did not have his passport stamped either...) I was asked for a copy of my ESTA (which happily, I had) so they could tell the US government that I had left the country!! I found that very efficient and reassuring. (Don't want to be "interviewed" by Immigration next time I come here!)

Our suite - Owners Suite on Deck 8 - was ready AND beautiful. The piano was playing softly as we walked in, champagne on ice etc. We had a salad at the Terrace Café, sitting outside under an umbrella so no problem with sunburn for Ken. Nice light lunch of Caesar salad for me (with wonderful fresh anchovies, not the salty kind) and some pasta for Ken. Glass of champagne, then double espresso to finish. We came back to the suite and the bags arrived along with Julia, our Stewardess, shortly after. So now I am off to unpack and sort things out... you know how that is!

Initial impression of the ship is that she still looks as new as ever. And of the crew - delightful (but then we have only met a few!!)

Enjoy the hunt. Local liquor store here opens at 1100 - was open yesterday but that is a bit late for you!

Hi Gerry,

We're on board as well. In Waves puttin' lipstick on our piggy selves. Clos right across from the hotel but it was more a bistro. Tried CVS but ended up at Whole Foods and bought almost a case of good California wines that we know and enjoy. Tough part was totin' thet sucker back to the hotel!

Now back to the stateroom to see if our luggage and grape juice made it as well.

JMBobB

Hambagahle

Have a wonderful crossing! :)

I wonder if it's the same Xavier we had as a butler - a very tall, handsome Indian chap? Just wondering as it's quite an unusual name.

Just watch out for that JMBobB - !!! LOL! ;).

I remember executive concierge Javier from Spain. He was wonderful in arranging some things for us...and very easy to look at too! Wonder if he is still with Oceania?

We left the hotel at Noon to head to the port, and it seemed a large number of others did as well.

Boarding went smoothly, had some very nice salmon and roast beef for lunch topped off with an ice cream for dessert.

While in the Terrace cafe, one of the waiters was walking around asking if anybody would like to dine in the specialty restaurants this evening.

Score! Various and differing slots were open at all of the restaurants.

We booked 4 for Red Ginger at 6:30. So right after sail away it is off for dinner and Sea Bass, Sea Bass, Sea Bass... Yum!!!

:) Official Sea Bass video from the Roll Call thread.

Muster Drill is at 5:15 so it'll get a little hectic, with that, Sail away Meet Up, then dinner, but hey, We're on cruise!

Edited by RubberCityRebel

Hambagahle

Have a wonderful crossing! :)

I wonder if it's the same Xavier we had as a butler - a very tall, handsome Indian chap? Just wondering as it's quite an unusual name.

Just watch out for that JMBobB - !!! LOL! ;).

Mah Second will be talkin' to yore man shortly suh...

'Sides, ah resemble thet remark!

JMBobB

A warm welcome to all those boarding today.

We are on a B2B and decided to spend the day off the ship with a HOHO bus tour.

Also had lunch in town - stone crabs (YUM!!!!)

Jacques tonight.

Looking forward to meeting some old as well as some new friends.

We booked 4 for Red Ginger at 6:30. So right after sail away it is off for dinner and Sea Bass, Sea Bass, Sea Bass... Yum!!!

:) Official Sea Bass video from the Roll Call thread.

Muster Drill is at 5:15 so it'll get a little hectic, with that, Sail away Meet Up, then dinner, but hey, We're on cruise!

Thanks for sharing that link- it's a hoot! Love Thin Man movies!

We are now on board and waiting for our luggage to arrive so I can unpack.

We arrived at the Cruise Port at about 1040 and sat down and waited for 1100 boarding to be announced. Xavier, the Concierge, spoke to the waiting passengers to say that we would be boarding in order of suite and that boarding would start at 1100. Promptly at 1100 he asked people in the suites to come forward. We had a slight "hiccup" at registration because my passport had not been stamped on arrival in Miami - they have a new "kiosk" system for Immigration there and apparently passports are not stamped. (Ken, who travels in and out of the US on an American passport, did not have his passport stamped either...) I was asked for a copy of my ESTA (which happily, I had) so they could tell the US government that I had left the country!! I found that very efficient and reassuring. (Don't want to be "interviewed" by Immigration next time I come here!)

Our suite - Owners Suite on Deck 8 - was ready AND beautiful. The piano was playing softly as we walked in, champagne on ice etc. We had a salad at the Terrace Café, sitting outside under an umbrella so no problem with sunburn for Ken. Nice light lunch of Caesar salad for me (with wonderful fresh anchovies, not the salty kind) and some pasta for Ken. Glass of champagne, then double espresso to finish. We came back to the suite and the bags arrived along with Julia, our Stewardess, shortly after. So now I am off to unpack and sort things out... you know how that is!

Initial impression of the ship is that she still looks as new as ever. And of the crew - delightful (but then we have only met a few!!)

Hi Jerry, Could you tell me who the culinary Chef is on your cruise. We will be boarding May 11th. Today I received an email from my TA announcing that the culinary tours are now open for booking. We have had Nicole in the past and really enjoyed her. Enjoy your cruise. I always enjoy reading your reviews. Thanks, Sue

Hope all have a great trip. We are on this next year. Excited that we cleared the Wait List to GTY for an Oceania Suite.

All posts on sea conditions will be appreciated.

Edited by wrl001

Wishing all of you the best of trips. As you know, we're so disappointed to have had to cancel this trip, but I am enjoying reading this thread. My husband had his op earlier this week, and all is good so we will be a cruising again in May. Paulchili - I am so envious of the stone crabs. Love, love, love stone crab claws. :)

Hi Jerry, Could you tell me who the culinary Chef is on your cruise. We will be boarding May 11th. Today I received an email from my TA announcing that the culinary tours are now open for booking. We have had Nicole in the past and really enjoyed her. Enjoy your cruise. I always enjoy reading your reviews. Thanks, Sue

Sue - it is Noëlle Barille (I think that is the last name...Noëlle anyway!) I have my first class tomorrow.

DaisyUK - great news! But we miss you.

We have now been on board 24hrs+ So far, so more than good! Although we don't have Churchill as our Butler we have Sandeep who is extremely nice and efficient. He told me that He, Churchill and Pritham all came from Regent. Pritham - for someone who asked earlier - is on the Marina and is about to go on holiday. Churchill is on board with us.

the suite is very nice - spacious as one would expect and quiet. Although we are in the stern there is no real vibration except that caused by the swell that we have at present. Couple of issues though - temperature control not easy and for a while we were freezing. Sandeep seems to have fixed that now. The veranda/terrace or whatever you call it is very narrow. And there is way too much in the way of furniture on it which makes it seem narrower. We must have outside seating for at least a dozen people and we are only two! And I suppose we are also spoiled by our last TA which was in a Seven Seas Aft suite on Regent's Mariner with a 27m2 terrace! Still the furniture here is nicer and the overall suite is infinitely better both in design and decoration . We are spoiled!

This morning we had our M&G and I "guestimate" that 70+ CCers showed up. What a nice bunch of people. The CD welcomed us and the GM - Damien Lacroix (also ex Regent) did as well. The Staff Captain was there too. Tonight is the Captain's welcome party in Horizons.

On the "food scene" - we had dinner in Polo last night. Started with a salad and then had the Prime Rib. All I can say about that was that it was the best, most tasty and most tender piece of meat I have ever eaten. And perfectly cooked just as we requested. Both of us were amazed and delighted. All that was missing was a good Yorkshire pud!! Breakfast today was in the GDR and lunch at the Terrace Café. In the latter we had deep fried calamari which were crisp and slightly spicy and very yummy. Plus of course a salad. Really nice salad bar at the Terrace and I really appreciate being served and not having to use utensils that others have handled. Tonight we eat at Jacques. This was not planned but the very efficient Sandeep filled our calendar with speciality restaurant reservations and also told us that if we wanted to change or whatever he would handle it.

Weather - fresh breeze and nice temperatures (I think around 23° or so). BIG rainstorm this morning but now it is nice and sunny. very windy though. Forecast for Bermuda is not great - rain on Sunday when we should be playing golf. So we'll see...

Hi Jerry, Thank you for the information on Noëlle, when you see her tomorrow could you ask her if she will be on for the May 11th sailing? She is fun, we really enjoyed her on our last cruise. Is Leslie Jon your cruise director? I'll be curious which TA your prefer, Regent or Oceania. Glad to hear your dinner in Polo was was the best. Sandeep sounds great. Have a wonderful cruise! Sue

Hi Jerry, Thank you for the information on Noëlle, when you see her tomorrow could you ask her if she will be on for the May 11th sailing? She is fun, we really enjoyed her on our last cruise. Is Leslie Jon your cruise director? I'll be curious which TA your prefer, Regent or Oceania. Glad to hear your dinner in Polo was was the best. Sandeep sounds great. Have a wonderful cruise! Sue

We're on the same cruise I think (May 11th)... just booked it. Some of the cookery classes are already closed (fully booked) so maybe jump on to it if you have not already done so.

Hi Gerry - enjoying most of this thread. When I was in Miami last November, it was really steamy. Glad to hear that it has cooled off. Actually, I really dislike hot weather (which is why we moved from California to Washington). However, I understand people that like the "hot stuff".

As you know, I am posting from the Mariner -- trying to compare food on Oceania to food on Regent. So far there is nothing to compare as the food we had today does not have an equivalent on Oceania. Will keep trying.

Continue to enjoy your cruise.

The real surprise for me was the appearance, however brief, by Leslie and Damien (as well as some other staff) as this usually does not happen. The area in Horizons was well marked and cordoned off for us. There were too many people to meet everyone but I will try to meet more CC members during the cruise as we have some other activities scheduled together (luncheon, frequent flyer miles discussions, iPad lessons, etc)

There were 18 trivia teams of 8 people each this afternoon but only 3 at night.

The real surprise for me was the appearance, however brief, by Leslie and Damien (as well as some other staff) as this usually does not happen.

That would be a shock :eek:

Maybe they finally get it

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

That would be a shock :eek:

Maybe they finally get it

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

I think they do "get it" - Damien was very specific - he thanked us for being there and then also for our contributions on CC. He said he knew they were generally positive and wanted the feedback - both positive and negative. I have sailed with him before (on Regent) and find him to be an excellent GM.

Sandeep our Butler brought Churchill by to say hello this morning. How nice to see him again!

Ken and I played Trivia for the first time on Oceania yesterday. We thoroughly enjoyed Leslie Don's manner of running it and found the questions harder than those we are used to on Regent. (I am not sure if this is good or bad! Good for the brain anyway...) We have a nice group in our team which was put together by Penny and Dave from Ontario...

Dinner was at Jacques. We wanted to eat reasonably lightly because our reservation was at 8pm which is later than we normally eat dinner. Starter was a Carpaccio of Noix de St Jacques (Scallops) which was beautiful to look at AND to eat. Arranged like a flower in fact. Ken had the Sole Grenobloise (sole with croûtons and a caper/butter sauce) and I had a John Dory filet on bed of fennel. Both were superb. delicate, fresh and great tastes. Ken had dessert - crèpes Suzettes - and I had some rather nice cheese. We then went to the show which was Jamie Michael Stewart of "Love Boat" song fame. We had seen him on Regent, and enjoyed his act. We enjoyed it just as much last night.

That was it for yesterday. Time change last night so we slept a bit late. Today I have my cooking class, our group of Golfers will get together for a drink, Ken plays Trivia and tonight - whoopee! - we eat at Red Ginger. I am really looking forward to that.