Riviera Trans-Atlantic April 2015

Hambagahle

Red Ginger last night was lovely again. We did just what we had done the first time - ordered mostly starters and shared them. The Duck and Watermelon salad was wonderful and the Caramelised Tiger Prawns so good I could have made a meal of them alone. And the presentation was so beautiful it was a shame to eat them. But we sacrificed ourselves!

Sounds fantastic! I also love to have many smaller plates and can make a meal of starters, looking forward to our upcoming meal at Red Ginger - has the menu changed recently?

Such a shame there was no sunshine in Bermuda, when the light hits that turquoise water, it's just so beautiful :)

Thanks for taking us all along!

Sounds fantastic! I also love to have many smaller plates and can make a meal of starters, looking forward to our upcoming meal at Red Ginger - has the menu changed recently?

Such a shame there was no sunshine in Bermuda, when the light hits that turquoise water, it's just so beautiful :)

Thanks for taking us all along!

We actually had a very nice day in Bermuda on Saturday with sunshine (and the water colors that go with that). Sunday was a different story altogether.

The menu in RG has changed slightly - not as much as the one in Jacques.

We actually had a very nice day in Bermuda on Saturday with sunshine (and the water colors that go with that). Sunday was a different story altogether.

The menu in RG has changed slightly - not as much as the one in Jacques.

I remember someone saying no more mussels in Jacques (my husband will be disappointed), what else has changed?

How are the internet speeds? Are you able to stream video? We have free wifi on our sailing in May, I wonder if they are going to be upgrading the service when in drydock? Such a new ship, I wonder what they are doing? No matter, I can't wait to get onboard, take good care of her while you cross, ok? lol ;) Thanks!

Edited by TheDarkestBlue

As far as I can tell, these are the new items at Jacques:

Chilean Sea Bas salad (appetizer)

Jumbo Bay Scallop & watercress carpaccio (app)

Escalope de Foie Gras (hot app)

Poached scallop gnocchi with lobster

Green Pea Vichyssoise

Sea Bass filet in puff pastry (entree)

maybe also prime rib?

Others may correct me

However, mussels are definitely no longer on the m3enu

Edited by Paulchili

I"m not sure...but there is what I would call a "wiggle" at the aft of the ship...especially as you go higher up...as in the Terrace Grill...it really moves side to side most of the time...we are in 7112 and don't feel it...but really feel it most of the time in the Grill...we have been on Marina 3 times and have not felt this in the past...I don't know if this has anything to do with the dry-dock...I doubt it...but it is really rather pronounced and not what I would call "normal"...BTW...we have done many T/As on this southern route and this has been the one with the most wind and coolest temps...I know it is the "luck of the draw"...but we have "won the lottery" on this one...not rough seas...but cold and so windy!!! Tomorrow is Funchal and it is going to be only 61 degrees...so still rather "cool"...Had dinner in Red Ginger tonight...took Gerry's advice and did a lot of the appetizers ....worked out well....but I do like the White Pear Tea...to each his own, right?? Did the "lemoncello" tasting tonight in Horizons...only 4 of us...but fun and an entire new experience...never really tasted it before...especially in so many flavors!!

Bermuda on Saturday was "picture postcard" Bermuda. we spent summers there for years and the water was the lovely turquoise blue... Sunday was something else! And that is when we had scheduled our golf game.

Nationalities of the chefs in RG? Don't know but they all look Asian and mostly (to me anyway on the other side of the glass) South East Asian. If you like tea with dinner then the tea menu is great. We don't - but I am not suggesting they get rid of it!!

Dinner last night with the GM, Damien Lacroix and Head Housekeeper Beata was loads of fun. we have sailed twice with Damien on Regent and it was really super to have a chance to chat with him again. We ate in Toscana and the food was lovely but still - for me anyway - too much! Conversation was lively and we discovered we had something of a common "past" in Hanoi. We also talked about the NCL "deal" and what that bodes for the future. He is very happy about it. He feels (and I think he is right) that NCL wants to have three distinct brands and is happy to keep them that way. He pointed out that the acquisition of the R ship - to be called Sirena - came almost immediately after the "take over". And that pooling of resources for tours, stage shows etc could not be but a good thing. As far as the quality of the food on Oceania (which I happen to think is sensational...) he sees no changes in sight except for improvement. Certainly not down-grading. It was a lovely evening and conversation (and wine, aside from Damien who under NCL policy as an executive of a public company is no longer permitted to drink on board, flowed freely.) PS - I think that latter is a bit silly. But that is corporate policy apparently and TravelCat2 reports from the Mariner that it is the same over there...

Today - Madeira. We docked on time and made our way onshore to walk through the town, visit the market and go to the Botanical Garden. The market is outstanding and well worth the visit. I love the town of Funchal and have since my first visit there some 63 years ago. (It was a lot smaller then!) Clean, lovely buildings, tropical flowers and even this early in the spring some Jacaranda in bloom. Not many, but enough for me! We took the cable car up to Monte and then on to the Botanical Gardens. We have been there before but not this way and I would not do this again. You arrive at the top and the path down is very steep and difficult. (And this is a Swiss talking...) IMO best way to get there is either by bus or taxi to the lower gate where you can zigzag across the hillside more easily. Anyway we gave up and went back by cable car.

This evening our butler treated us to a special dinner in the suite. Leaving Funchal we had a lovely sunset and so far anyway the sea is calm. However the internet kept bleeping off and on and it made keeping a signal for the Masters difficult... hopefully things will be better tomorrow!

Sea day tomorrow and the LAST time change tonight. Tomorrow morning we are on "home time" and I shall be delighted. Changing time night after night is OK west bound and a drag eastbound. But certainly better than on a flight.

Nationalities of the chefs in RG? Don't know but they all look Asian and mostly (to me anyway on the other side of the glass) South East Asian. .

Thanks Gerry

I only asked because last cruise they were from India ...they did not know how to pull off the Asian dishes very well ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Gerry, I have been enjoying reading about your voyage since we have considered booking on one of Oceania's newer ships. We have sailed on Regent and thought it was okay and have been on 2 Seabourn cruises and loved them. We are always open to trying something new if the itinerary is right. I have a question for you re: cabins. I seem to remember that on your first O cruise you were in an Oceania suite whereas this time you are in the much larger Owners' suite. I think you commented that the balcony of the latter is quite narrow. Do you find that the interior space makes up for the narrower veranda. We are the kind of cruisers who spend a great deal of time out on the veranda so we had been looking at an Oceania suite. We like lots of space in our cabin too but thought perhaps the Owners might be much more than we need. I would be interested to read your impressions. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your voyage.

Ann,

If you like a large veranda I suggest you look at one of the two aft Oceania Suites on Deck 11. Based on our stay in one of them and visit to a Deck 12 OC, our veranda was much larger. Since the Owners Suites are also aft, I don't understand why the veranda there would be smaller than our OC's was, and I didn't feel it was particularly narrow. It had room for a jacuzzi and recliners plus a table for four ...

(The veranda does wrap around the back of the ship)

Mura

Ann -

The actual m2 of the balcony here in the Owners Suite is very high but I do not know exactly what it comes to! The balcony is about 2m deep in most places - narrows to about 1,70 when the bow windows take some of it. And it wraps around on each side. BUT I think there is too much furniture on it - couple of chaises longues, several easy chairs and on the sitting room side (it is cut in two by the floor to ceiling windows in the foyer) there is a dining table and 4 chairs for that as well. Take some furniture away and it would seem more spacious. But no where near as spacious as the balcony we had on the Mariner in the Seven Seas Aft suite. Nonetheless this suite is designed for two people and possibly a couple of dinner guests etc. And there is plenty of room for that. Yesterday we had guests as we sailed out of Funchal... We were not cramped at all.

As for the menu changes at Jacques - I do not remember exactly what was on the menu before BUT I can say that the food at Jacques is superbe. Remember I live 40 mins from the French border and we don't eat too badly in Switzerland either (well, in the Suisse Romande anyway!) Their "Melted Goat's Cheese soufflé" is divine. We plan on ordering that tonight - again! But I think the moules are gone. There are a lot of fish dishes to choose from though and we have had two of them - Sole Grenobloise and the St Pierre (John Dory) with Fennel. Both were excellent. My only complaint concerned the two sauces - Grain Mustard not being "grainy" at all and the Poivre lacking oomph AND peppercorns.

There is another remark I wish to make about this cruise. There has been some discussion on CC about peoples' bad manners towards staff and indeed to other passengers. Being pushy (I almost got run over by a lady with a walker on our last crossing on Regent for example - twice (same lady!)). Failing to say please and thank you. On THIS cruise we have both remarked on the high level of courtesy and friendliness among the passengers. Only twice have I heard someone be really rude to a staff member and only a few times have I had the urge to say "Did I hear you say please"!! It is amazing. And people are so nice to each other AND to the staff. A huge change from our last TA cruise on the Mariner where I was biting my tongue all the time... I don't know if the staff have noticed this as well but I hope they have.

We are steaming slowly up the African coast and arrive at Gibraltar tomorrow morning. Captain says we will go through the straits at about 0530 which is too early for me (!) but I have been through them many times. We still have a lot of wind and the top sports decks are closed because of it. But here "at the back of the bus" we are sheltered from the wind and the sun is now on the terrace. We'll probably spend time there later on with a glass (or two) in hand.

Agree with LuAnn -- the white pear tea is wonderful and pairs so well with the food in Red Ginger. I am not a tea drinker -- perhaps only have 4-5 cups per year but would not miss the white pear tea on Oceania.

In terms of Gerry's post regarding rudeness on Regent, we have noticed rudeness by a few passengers. This cruise has over 500 return guests and I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Or, perhaps, since Oceania has many guests from other cruise lines (Princess, HAL and Celebrity in particular), they may find Oceania's service so impeccable that there is nothing to complain about. It seems that Regent guests are comparing Regent with Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea and have extremely high expectations. No matter how good the service is, some people will find fault with it. As for us, we find service by the crew on Oceania close to perfection (as is the service on Regent). Officers, on the other hand, are much friendlier on Regent. There are reasons for this that I have learned about but do not want to get off topic on this wonderful thread!

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you Mura and Gerry for the information about the verandas. We like aft cabins so I'll have to look at the aft Oceania suites if we decide to book an Oceania cruise.

Gerry, we sailed in a Seven Seas aft suite on the Voyager on our only Regent cruise. We enjoyed the cabin despite many warnings on CC that the vibration would be awful. We didn't notice a problem.

Thank you again for allowing us to follow along on your cruise.

One other comment about the aft OCs that didn't bother me but DID bother my husband ... the noise and vibration was pretty horrendous when pulling out of port. I would assume that it's the same with the OS but Gerry would need to chime in on that score!

Mura

Jackie -

I do not think your remark about the scads of passengers from HAL and other lines holds water! On this cruise we have over 700 REPEAT Oceania guests. The ship is not full and I think we must be around 900 in total (someone else might have the correct number...) so if 700 are Oceania Club members saying that we have so many first timers from other (and I suppose "inferior" lines!) makes no sense.

However wherever our fellow passengers come from they are a very very nice and polite lot. Far more so - as I said - than on our last TA on the Mariner. RallyDave was on that sailing and I think he would bear me out!

Sunviking - we do not get any particular vibration in the suite (and we are on 8, so low down) when moving away from the pier BUT we do get vibration, felt mostly when lying down because the bed tends to shake, when at high speed. When we had the medical emergency it was really noticeably. I think the higher up one goes the less one would feel it. LuAnn is aft on 7 and she might have something to say about this topic??

Yesterday afternoon we had the famous "Grand Tea" - in Horizons and when we entered the entire dance floor was curtained off. With great flourish the curtains were removed and the "spread" revealed. And what a spread! It occupied all the dance floor and was beautifully displayed. Sandwiches and savouries to strudel etc with cakes in between and little macaroons around the display (we ate some!) I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like it.

Last night's dinner we "bailed out" and decided to eat in, but to order from Jacques since that is where we should have been. We had a fabulous meal. Starter was the Molten goat cheese fondue which is exceptional. Then Tornedos Rossini with shoestring potatoes and green beans. I ended with a cheese cake (not French but yummy!) and Ken had the apple tarte with frangipane.

Today we are in Gibraltar. We lazed around and then decided to walk into town. After about 1+km we gave up. The smell of diesel was everywhere and the noise from the traffic awful. After Funchal which is so lovely this was a real let-down. Why the UK doesn't just turn it over to Spain is beyond me. (The Spanish would keep it a lot cleaner and tidier I think!) I really wish that we had stopped in Malaga instead. We sail at 1800 for Barcelona. One more sea day to come and then we are off the ship... time to think of home!

I have been enjoying your very interesting posts during your trip. We were booked on the same crossing in a Vista on Deck 12, but had to cancel due to work commitments. We are pleased to hear that everything is as good as ever, especially in Jaques.

We leave Port Everglades on the Silver Spirit today for her Eastbound Transatlantic, it just won't be the same even if we have an equivalent suite

As for Gibraltar, I'm not sure personal opinion will go down well with my Llanito friends! :eek:

Enjoy the remaing days of your trip.

Iain

Gerry is absolutely 100% correct regarding the people on our last Mariner TA with her and her DH Ken. We had a wonderful time with Gerry and Ken but, the "elitists" similar to a prolific poster were the pits with their demands and lack of manners.

The "wiggle" in the aft of the ship...is what I call it!! And it seems to get worse as you get higher up...have noticed it all the time in the Terrace Cafe and last night as well in Toscana. We don't feel it in our deck 7 cabin at all...we are in one of the cabins with the larger balconies ...7112. Re the number of current passengers on board Gerry is correct re the number of returning passengers...the ship had to hold 2 nights for the O Club members..the first night for the bronze and above members and the second night for those who are Blue members. I heard a staff member say we had about 100 less passengers than a full ship.

Gerry, it is quite a few years since I have been to Gibraltar and I am disappointed to hear that it is not clean and particularly the diesel fumes. Gibraltar is self governing and only has a relationship with the UK on defense and foreign policy. The UK government has agreed not to have discussions with Spain about any change in relationships UNLESS the Gibraltarian people agree to have a change of relationship.

"Gibraltarians overwhelmingly rejected proposals for Spanish sovereignty in a 1967 referendum and again in 2002. Under the Gibraltar constitution of 2006, Gibraltar governs its own affairs, though some powers, such as defense and foreign relations, remain the responsibility of the UK Government"

Gibraltar...it is a very industrial port when you first exit the terminal and start to walk towards "town"...there was a huge "electrical generating plant" with mobile CAT trailers generating power at a very loud rate..and it IS a very busy area. Once you get into "town" the main "drag" is full of shops...tourists as well as locals everywhere...with many stores featuring "duty free" items. We have been here about 4 times now...and have enjoyed the tour to the tunnels/cave/views and the apes...but yes...they are pretty aggressive and you don't want to get to close!! I agree that there are other ports along the way on a T/A that I would rather go to...especially ones in Spain...even though we have been lucky enough to stop in many of them several times as well.

We enjoy Gibraltar more now that we know a couple who live there (loyal Oceania fans who are on board Marina right now) ... the first trip we did a ship's tour to the apes and such. On the second trip we met our friends for the day, did a little touring and more sitting over beer in the main town square ... on our third trip we just stayed on board because we couldn't reach our friends.

But I prefer Gibraltar to Casablanca! Both of these ports seem to be frequent visitors to Med itineraries.

Mura

I do realise that the locals in Gibraltar want to stay as they are! (Even if I think they belong with Spain...) But when on compares Gibraltar to, say, Malaga, the latter wins hands down for cleanliness and attractiveness. Both of course are cleaner than Casa - but from Casa you can go to Rabat which is beautiful. I just do not understand why we stopped in Gibraltar and next year's TA is doing the same. and if one has to stop in Gibraltar there should be a complimentary shuttle bus from port to town centre...

No Trivia yesterday - we were really "Trivia deprived"!! There was an entertainer/magician instead who we didn't see but people who did said he was very good. Today is the grand finale of Trivia which should be fun. (It is always fun!!)

Last night we had dinner at Red Ginger. Same procedure - we chose lots of appetisers and all were delicious. What a great restaurant! I think they must have about 100 covers there and turn the tables at least twice so its capacity is pretty big. But in spite of being really busy food arrives quickly when ordered and is so amazing! I have decided that my favourite dessert is the Japanese soft ice with chili and salt. Great flavours.

The "crew show" was yesterday too. Some wonderful voices among the crew and we were royally entertained. Leslie (CD) sang "If I were a Rich Man" and brought the house to its feet. Then the crew marched in by departments, to great applause. Auld Lang Syne was sung by all (well, except by me because I cannot sing!!) and they marched out. AS we left we walked through the two lines they made for us. Everyone, crew and guests, were clapping. There was a lot of hugging going on too. What a family this Oceania is!!

Today the sea is a bit bumpy - we have high winds. We have had too much wind on this cruise and it is a shame. But the weather hasn't spoilt it for us - we have enjoyed every single minute and have met some extremely lovely people. It will be sad to get off tomorrow but nonetheless really nice to be home again which we should be on Thursday IF the French Air Traffic Controllers don't ruin all the flights over their country...I am keeping fingers crossed.

It sounds like you've had a wonderful time despite less-than-perfect weather. Fingers crossed for your flights home. It's been great to read this thread each day, so thanks again for taking the time to check in.

The "crew show" was yesterday too. Some wonderful voices among the crew and we were royally entertained. Leslie (CD) sang "If I were a Rich Man" and brought the house to its feet.

I think that is the only song he knows :D:D

Every cruise he sings the same song

I think I will try the same thing as you did for Red Ginger our last time there was a disaster but DH has agreed to give them one more try

Hope the crew on Marina do not disappoint ;)

Enjoyed your postings have a safe trip home

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Enjoyed your postings Gerry. So very sorry we did not get to meet as planned on the trip. Perhaps we will meet on another sailing.

Jim is doing much better and we hope he will be in tip top shape for our Regatta Alaska in June. Safe and pleasant (if that can be done these days) travel home. Deb