Solstice on Smithsonian channel tonight

misspuss

Hi guys, You might be interested to know that the Solstice is the featured ship on Mighty Cruise Ships on Smithsonian channel tonight. 0600 pacific time,0900 east coast time.

Appreciate this great tip. Lots of good TV shows on tonight so I just set my DVR to record this program. As detailed below in the two live/blogs, we have sailed twice on this nice ship. Very impressed by the design, construction, etc., for all of these Solstice-class ships. The Smithsonian Channel does a nice job with these kind of programs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 104,470 views for this posting.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 196,493 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Unless there is a second episode that features the Solstice, it's probably a repeat showing, which is already available to view from the Smithsonian website for free.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Unless there is a second episode that features the Solstice, it's probably a repeat showing, which is already available to view from the Smithsonian website for free.

The full episode does not appear to be on their website currently.

Yes, it's a repeat showing and full episode is available to view on YouTube.

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbCoHsUpBY

or you can just type Mighty cruise ships Celebrity Solstice - You Tube.

Enjoy!

IMHO, this documentary didn't show Celebrity in a promotional light. The program highlighted what happens when the ship is in extremely warm waters (water temps over 89 degrees), and how the engines perform, etc. Also, some interesting aspects of how the Executive Chef "tweeks" his menus, by going ashore and personally purchasing local fish, etc. for a change in daily menus.

There are so many things we usually aren't aware of, on any particular cruise.

does anybody know when this was filmed. I'm assuming some time prior to its original air date of11-30-14.:D

They mentioned that the Captain had been on the ship for only four months. He was my Captain late August in Alaska, ship then worked its way through Hawaii and then on to Australia. I would guess Sept. or Oct.

I believe this is the first showing of this episode in the US. It was shown in the UK and Canada.

I had a nice conversation in August with Tom Brady, the Hotel manager, nice guy, has to put up with his name being the same as the football player, I have the same problem with my name as it is the same as a somewhat famous actor.

Edited by dkjretired

They mentioned that the Captain had been on the ship for only four months. He was my Captain late August in Alaska, ship then worked its way through Hawaii and then on to Australia. I would guess Sept. or Oct.

I believe this is the first showing of this episode in the US. It was shown in the UK and Canada.

I had a nice conversation in August with Tom Brady, the Hotel manager, nice guy, has to put up with his name being the same as the football player, I have the same problem with my name as it is the same as a somewhat famous actor.

They mentioned that it was her second season in Australia. EM

I watched the episode on my dvr last night and thoroughly enjoyed the epsiode. I hope when I sail on the Solstice in Feb 2017 the head chef is the same as on the Smithsonian episode. He really went out of his was to make the voyage memorable.

Edited by CHUCKIE50

Last week, I did have an opportunity to view the full one-hour program that I had recorded on our home cable DVR system. Very interesting program with some great video and insights. Parts of it were, as often happens, a little "hyped up" to provide some "drama" as the ship staff were dealing with the outside water temperature affecting air conditioning performance, food/dining options, etc. That's TV, especially in today's world of "reality television"!!

This video is not, yet, on their

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com

website. BUT, here are some upcoming airdates for this Solstice program:

Saturday, April 18, 3:00 pm; Sunday, May 17, 10 pm.; Monday, May 18, 1 am.

My educated guess is that this program will be available from their website at a future date after it has "played out" enough on their cable channel.

Much was featured on this program about the Captain (Zisis Taramas), Hotel Director (Thomas Brady) and Executive Chef (Geoffrey Haviland). All three of these officials were on our early 2014 cruise. Mr. Brady was also on our June 2011 Solstice cruise as the Assistant Hotel Director. During our Australia-NZ cruising last year, I had the opportunity to talk several times with the Hotel Director and was impressed with his savvy, smarts and responsiveness. Very nice and solid guy. We also got to meet and talk with the Captain when we were departing for our port stop in Napier along the NZ coast. Very friendly and open Captain who posed for a nice picture with my wife and two other ladies in our group.

One of the excellent "learning experience" from this show was about the Azipod. That is the marine propulsion unit consisting of a fixed pitch propeller mounted on a steerable gondola or "pod". It contains the electric motor that drives the propeller. It's a big, BIG item and they showed a crew member going down into it for a close-up checking of its systems.

There were many other details shown and background provided for the kitchen, maintaining the lawn, fixing a tender boat, providing more variety with the buffet/Oceanview Cafe, working with a local pilot to the Great Barrier Reef, a croc tour in Darwin, etc. Especially since we had been on this same ship with many of the same staff, this program really worked well for my personal interests. As a guy who likes to know "how things work", this program was fascinating!!

If you go to this specific part of their website, you can check-out some of their past "Great Ships" programs that they have done. Plus, many other interesting programs. This includes a short preview on this Solstice program. See more at:

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/mighty-cruise-ships/celebrity-solstice/1003687/3417367

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 105,229 views for this posting.

Here are a few visual highlights that I captured off of the Smithsonian Channel program about the Celebrity Solstice. Pictures two, three and four show the Captain (Zisis Taramas), Hotel Director (Thomas Brady) and Executive Chef (Geoffrey Haviland). The fifth picture shows the route around the northern part of Australia that the Solstice did during the production of this program. Finally is a cut-away shot of the Azipod that powers this ship.:

Spring2015A7_zpsqv1krvwb.jpg

Spring2015A8_zpswsuztpry.jpg

Spring2015A11_zpspmu5atga.jpg

Spring2015A10_zpsmbpeufwc.jpg

Spring2015A9_zpsnxlawa4p.jpg

Spring2015A12_zpswefhb33y.jpg