Live From the Golden Princess April 3-6, 2015

Woobstr112G

Good evening everyone. DW and I are embarking tomorrow for our first ever short (less than 7 days) cruise on the Golden Princess. This "Live From" will obviously be short but I decided to do it to hopefully be able to answer any questions from fellow CC members considering a similar cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Enjoy the Golden. She is one of my favorite ships. Is your CC representative still Tiago? Say hello for me. Several other great staff people, but I won't weigh you done with that task.

Have a great time on your short cruise. It's a ship, on the water, how much better can it get? Smooth sailing.

Enjoy your cruise! I did a 4-nighter on the Golden last fall. My advice is to try to relax, and not attempt to cram 7 or more nights' worth of activity into a 3 night cruise, which I saw some doing.

I did just the opposite. Went to activities that I didn't have time for on a longer cruise. Watched the vegetable and ice carvings, listened to the pianist at Crooners, even watched the silly pool games. There is a totally different breed of passengers who take the 3-4 day cruises.

I see that the Golden was sold out a long time ago. (I would have been on her if I had planned it better.) You are one of the lucky ones that get to do one of her last two cruises out of LA.

Watch the fruit dog (golden lab) in Ensenada. It didn't do much work after my Hawaii cruise, but does seems to "catch" many more passengers on these short cruises. He/She goes right after those blue Princess bags! That is my most favorite thing to do in Ensenada.

There will not be enough time to enjoy the International Cafe nor use up your coffee card. But there is so much pleasure in trying to do so.

Hi Bob

The Golden Princess was the first Princess ship we had ever seen,

being on a little cruise ship looking up at Skywalkers she had a wow

factor missing from todays ships,

year later we had taken our first second and third Princess cruises on her,

have a great cruise, and let us know how she is fairing all these years later.

yours Shogun

15855852926_8273a6a1ab.jpg

Good morning all. Well I just returned from dropping Misha off his weekend getaway from his Mom & Dad. Bags all packed. We'll be leaving in about an hour or so. I have to make a quick stop at my sister's house in Torrance before we shoot down to San Pedro to board. We are going to use the park and ride out front of the terminal since we're only going to be gone till Monday. This way as soon as we clear customs, load up the suitcases and head home.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Have fun! Will you have TD? Let us know who your waiters are. A couple of my favorites were recently on the Golden.

Since it's a short cruise, we are going to try ATD for the first time. We might end up eating in the MDR once or maybe twice as DW wants to dine in the CG at least one night with her sister who will be sailing with us. If we do eat in the ATD MDR, I'll gladly ask about your favorite waiters f you'd like.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Hi Bob

The Golden Princess was the first Princess ship we had ever seen,

being on a little cruise ship looking up at Skywalkers she had a wow

factor missing from todays ships,

year later we had taken our first second and third Princess cruises on her,

have a great cruise, and let us know how she is fairing all these years later.

yours Shogun

Thanks Shogun. We've sailed on the Golden in 2011. I'm also looking forward to seeing how she is getting along in her "Golden" years.....:):D:)

Bob

How fun! I will be sailing on the Golden to Alaska with my family in July on my very first cruise. I've been reading about past experiences on the Golden Princess with many items in the "pro" list and a few in the "con" list. I'm really looking forward to hearing live reports from an experienced cruiser.

Good afternoon from the Golden Princess. Finally made it here after a brutal drive on the Southern California freeway system. We just finished the muster drill and I just bought my all inclusive drink package. Time to relax with several adult beverages. Finally got to try the "Seawitch" IPA. This stuff is real tasty. I can see this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.....:):):)

Hope all are well.....

Bob

Good afternoon from the Golden Princess.............Time to relax with several adult beverages. Finally got to try the "Seawitch" IPA. This stuff is real tasty. I can see this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.....:):):)............

Bob

You have that right. Enjoy the shorty cruise. Despite the negative comments we really enjoyed the Golden last fall. Much more to like than not like. :cool:

YMMV

Good evening all. Spillway from San Pedro was very nice. It was delayed about an hour. Right now we just passed Catalina. The Golden Princess seems to be holding up nicely since we last sailed on her in 2011. We are in an aft view Suite (C751). Nice cabin with the all important wake view balcony. Our cabin steward from India (first name escapes me for the moment is not very personable.

This is my first experience with not only a short coastal cruise but also with a spring break “booze cruise.” There are tons of kids onboard with the usual running up and down the hallways. The bars are also jammed with thirsty customers. It does not bother me because I knew going in, even though I’ve never done this itinerary, there would be lots of kids onboard.

In case anyone is interested, the Ship’s officers are as follows:

Captain: Vicenzo Lubrano

Staff Captain: Damiano De Pinto

Chief Engineer: Antonio Di Biase

Hotel General Manager: Martin May

Cruise Director: Marahscalh Stanton

Senior Doctor: Don Van Wyk

Customer Services Director: Malcolm Petersen

Food & Beverage Director: Christopher Nothdurft

Staff Engineer Officer: Vincenzo Giovinazzo

Staff Electro Tech Officer: Ivan Bibby

Environmental Officer: Rumen Geogiev

Executive Housekeeper: Russell Cuaresma

Executive Chef: Andrea Baiardo

Maitre d’ Hotel: Joachim Horst Rothe

Take Care All…..

Bob

Just FYI - the parking has gone up to $16 per night at the Port of LA. They finally raised it from the $12 that it was for years. :(...

OT: :eek: A 33% increase is a big jump, especially for those on longer cruises. I suppose it is less costly for the port to do it this way than, say, raising it $1 per year.

Edited by Ryndam2002

...This is my first experience with not only a short coastal cruise but also with a spring break “booze cruise.” There are tons of kids onboard with the usual running up and down the hallways. The bars are also jammed with thirsty customers. It does not bother me because I knew going in, even though I’ve never done this itinerary, there would be lots of kids onboard...

Bob

At least you are in a far aft cabin, so there should be a minimal amount of traffic near your cabin door. Is probably a good thing that my elderly mother isn't on that cruise, or the offending parents would get her "if you don't want to properly supervise your kids, then don't travel with them" lecture :).

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity