For those who do not like the fact that DSC is 100% Discretionary...

LoveyHowell

So it is not really part of the cost of cruising?

It is an opt out program as opposed to an opt in program. You retain the right to decide if you stay opted in, or, at your own discretion, choose to opt out.

The DSC is $12.95 per day and includes services for 3 meals a day and your room steward. How much of the $12.95 would you estimate is allocable to one meal?

It includes more than that if you are to believe people on this forum who claim that it includes workers that guests never see and were never in the tip allocation suggestions before the invention of DSC.

How much someone believes can or should be allocated to their meal is at their sole discretion and there is no established, agreed upon formula so there is no one and only correct answer.

How long is a piece of rope?

It is an opt out program as opposed to an opt in program. You retain the right to decide if you stay opted in, or, at your own discretion, choose to opt out.

And I assume that NCL hopes the most will either not question the DSC and thus opt in without questions or will like was said

I probably couldn't be bothered to screw with it
thus still opting in.

So is this taking an advantage over those who don't know better?

I for one will stick with the DSC amount and extra for the room steward if they do a really good job (which they normally do). I would feel bad for the people you dont see like the laundry department, the kitchen help, etc.. I am in the service industry myself so it does make a big difference to employees. When I go on vacation I already know money will be spent, be happy and enjoy your time off!! Life is too short.

I for one will stick with the DSC amount and extra for the room steward if they do a really good job (which they normally do). I would feel bad for the people you dont see like the laundry department, the kitchen help, etc.. I am in the service industry myself so it does make a big difference to employees. When I go on vacation I already know money will be spent, be happy and enjoy your time off!! Life is too short.

Well good for you. :cool:

we agree if the REDUCED/REMOVED DSC for bad service, someone else suffers too. so that means everyone's tip is tied together, or it appears to be

most advocates on this thread are for leaving the DSC regardless of the circumstance because of the "poor crew works so hard", etc... "you are hurting, punishing all these people if you don't..etc"... (which i do agree)

if that is the case, then when you tip UP, meaning passing out cash tips (in addition to DSC) for excellent service to your room steward, server and etc are you not excluding all those people you are concerned about being hurt in the DSC?

Wouldn't be better for you (extra tippers) to have GS add that extra monies onto the total DSC that way you can make sure everyone gets tipped equally and you are not bypassing those "other" crew that you speak of with regard to DSC?

that way its a fair to everyone around.

ive never heard of anyone doing it, not sure if GS could do it, but just sounds like a better option to make it more inclusive.

My guess (even though it was hard to understand) is that the poster disagrees with the newly instituted fees (room service charge, 18 percent specialty restaurant charge, etc.) and is wondering if a reduction in the DSC is in order if they disagree with them, because they feel implementing them is poor service.

Then they are mistaken in that belief is they truly believe that. Personally, I just believe it's just another rationalization to justify doing the wrong thing.

Then they are mistaken in that belief is they truly believe that. Personally, I just believe it's just another rationalization to justify doing the wrong thing.
That is the question they asked, I just relayed it to the person it was directed to, because they didn't understand what the poster was saying. I made no judgment call on it one way or another.

So,

if I oppose the fee for room service and remove it from the DSC its no good,

But

If say the food was cold, or took forever, or the deliver was a smuck, or got the wrong order, then those would be poor service.

Do what a normal person would do and check what you are receiving prior to accepting the order. If the order is unacceptable (for whatever reason), do not accept it and do not sign the slip of paper. No fees will be charged then. IMO, once you sign the receipt, you are stating the order is acceptable but then again, many people do not believe in personal responsibility anymore either. Take responsibility for your part of the transaction and ensure the order is up to specs and pay the fee or tell them what was wrong and don't accept the order. No need for the DSC to even be involved.

I am an accountant, so here is my response, although not well founded in logic):

I you are on a 7 day cruise, you and your wife are on the ship for 168 hours (24x 7days). at $250 per hour, the value of the cruise would be $42,000. If you paid $42,000 for a one week cruise, then you are correct:)

Though in reality, if a person pays $1,000 for a 7 night cruise, the valuation of their time is $1,000/1440 (minutes in a day/7 (number of nights) which means each minute of their time = 9.92 cents per minute. So if someone did waste 30 minutes of their cruise time standing in line to fix a problem then I could reasonably see that person deducting $2.98 from their DSC to compensate for cruise time lost (relative to what they paid). :)

So I can walk up to GS and say remove them, and that's that.

In all honesty, yes you can.

That being said, if you decide to do that and then create 10 threads on Cruise Critic trying to tell others that you gleefully do it all the time and everyone else is a fool if they don't do it (such as a person who really likes butlers does), that's when you'll get a mouthful from most everyone here. Just because you have a right to do it doesn't make it right and just because you can post it here that you did it doesn't mean we all have to pat you on the back and say "way to be frugal".

I've been doing some research, to take info from hearsay to fact. Folks who think info on the DSC has changed substantially might want to check out the various permutations over the years. The info on the NCL pages can be found at archive.org. Enter NCL's URL and choose from the various snapshots of the website taken year after year.

I looked at Feb 2014, March 2014, and March 2015, and interestingly I didn't find a great deal of difference in how info about the DSC was communicated.

I've been doing some research, to take info from hearsay to fact. Folks who think info on the DSC has changed substantially might want to check out the various permutations over the years. The info on the NCL pages can be found at archive.org. Enter NCL's URL and choose from the various snapshots of the website taken year after year.

I looked at Feb 2014, March 2014, and March 2015, and interestingly I didn't find a great deal of difference in how info about the DSC was communicated.

How about 2012? or 2010? or 2008 or 2004 0r...

It seems some posters have a real issue with DSC on NCL being discretionary and the fact that it can be removed by the guest just for asking without the need to provide any reason whatsover. If it bothers you so much...why continue to patronize a company with policies you do not like?

There are other lines that have all inclusive charges. Or, for example, you can sail with Royal Caribbean which will make you pre-pay gratuities to use their version of Freestyle dining and it is non-refundable no matter the quality of service.

I ask this because whenever NCL changes a policy and people voice concerns or complaints, the standard answer by many is if you don't like the policy, don't pay NCL for a vacation. Well, the question is back to those same people - If you want a company that does not allows DSC to be a discretionary fee, why are you still with NCL?

The problem isn't with the policy. It is even understanding how the funds are used and who they compensate or reward you've determined they are unworthy, before they've had a chance to do their jobs. I absolutely have an issue with that stance. There is no substitute tipping behavior by passengers that reach all employees in the plan.

Now if you experience the service and feel based on that experience a downward adjustment is due, well I can see that sometimes things happen. But to devalue the impact the laundry technician has on your suite experience before seeing a towel or sleeping on a sheet is just not right in my book. I won't boast of being a big tipper, but I think I'm fair and yes there are times when I leave less or more based on experience.

So please don't cloud the issue by implying there is something wrong with the masses (that's what your title does) because you've decided to short change people who will only do their jobs well in hopes that you enjoy your vacation. At least if you're going to engage in this behavior own it, no need for crutch like the policy allows this.

Edited by Nola26

In all honesty, yes you can.

That being said, if you decide to do that and then create 10 threads on Cruise Critic trying to tell others that you gleefully do it all the time and everyone else is a fool if they don't do it (such as a person who really likes butlers does), that's when you'll get a mouthful from most everyone here. Just because you have a right to do it doesn't make it right and just because you can post it here that you did it doesn't mean we all have to pat you on the back and say "way to be frugal".

Please. It's more of a charity. Just because their employer won't pay their laundry people or pay for their parties don't mean that I should.

There are plenty of other charities out there to donate to. They usually tell you what the administrative costs are too so you can tell if the money is actually going to those in need and not the company.

This is nothing but, a big money gram by NCL!!

You all should understand that a Service Charge is just extra profit making by NCL: it is not necessary a gratuity, thus NCL is free to keep as much of the money, it wants. :eek:

Edited by gkbiiii

No, the Cruise Fare Pays the Crew!!!!!:eek::rolleyes:

Traditionally on cruise ships the traditionally tipped(and tipped out) crew was NOT paid through the cruise fare. In any case whether its in the fare or in the tip/service charge its YOU who paid the crew and for everything else for that matter. On NCL its been the DSC that was the vast majority of the tipped crews remuneration(80% or more). The pay for the non-tipped crew was in the fare. What almost all cruise lines do is have a draw against the expected DSC/tips....but it you who still pay it. With the DSC being more of less required its become a base wage as opposed to a draw. Those who get it removed(mostly the cabin crew) as a matter of course will be considered as providing poor service and be treated accordingly(poor assignments non-renewed or canned if there are specific complaints)

I think the policy is fine as is. As a consumer I should always be able to reserve the right to adjust a service charge. I do so based on quality of services, which is how I believe it is intended to be used. But it is true, it can be adjusted at guest discretion and you don't need an unresolved issue in order to do it. I wouldn't remove it "just because", and I'd try to resolve service issues, but I would not sail on a line that gave me NO choice in the matter.

Seems like those that have a problem, the "it's not the policy, it's the other people" just can't handle others not doing things their way. If someone wants to just remove it for the sake of removing it, there is nothing I can do about that. The company allows it. I also spend about 0.001% of my vacation time at guest services, less if I can help it, and I don't eavesdrop or stalk people to find out what they are doing, mainly because I don't care what strangers do with their money.

Understandable, but it's irritating and disappointing to see people make the decision ahead of time that the crew members are going to be undeserving of the gratuity. When Lovey herself asks for feedback on a cruise that I just took that had the best crew I have ever had the pleasure of sailing with, and she's already asking if she should take off the DSC before or at the end of the trip, that pisses me off. Yeah, I said it.

Understandable, but it's irritating and disappointing to see people make the decision ahead of time that the crew members are going to be undeserving of the gratuity. When Lovey herself asks for feedback on a cruise that I just took that had the best crew I have ever had the pleasure of sailing with, and she's already asking if she should take off the DSC before or at the end of the trip, that pisses me off. Yeah, I said it.

If you are pissed off at anyone it should be the cruise line. They are the ones not paying the crew so little and trying to dictate where the passengers tips go.

I am removing mine too and tipping directly to the people who serve me. What they do with it is their business. As far as the behind the scenes crew, laundry, entertainment etc, that's between them and their employer, and none of my business.

This is nothing but, a big money gram by NCL!!

You all should understand that a Service Charge is just extra profit making by NCL: it is not necessary a gratuity, thus NCL is free to keep as much of the money, it wants. :eek:

Just which facts do you base this crap on?

If you are pissed off at anyone it should be the cruise line. They are the ones not paying the crew so little and trying to dictate where the passengers tips go.

I am removing mine too and tipping directly to the people who serve me. What they do with it is their business. As far as the behind the scenes crew, laundry, entertainment etc, that's between them and their employer, and none of my business.

NCL has a long way to go in transparency for their fees, service charges, gratuities, and so on. Most of us can agree with that. My commentary is only directed at those who make a show out of removing their DSC, and then feigning amazement that people disagree with it.

First let me say that in 30 years of cruising we always tipped at least the recommended amounts and/or left the DSC alone except one time, which is not the purpose of my post. We are forgetiing where this charge came from. Initially tipping was done on recommended amounts for cabin stewards and restaurent servers based on a daily amount.

Then for "our convenience" those same amounts were added to our bills so we didn't have to bother with cash tipping. No where ever was all this nosense about tipping the laundry staff, restaurent galley workers and so on. I'm sick of hearing how adjusting the charge screws those people.

NCL is screwing with your emotions. Evertytime you check into a land based hotel you tip the maid. Do you really worry about the towel service? Why is the cruise industry different.

Wake up people

Edited by bjlaac