Anyone went to Capri on their own from Naples? Please share info

gam888

We will dock in Naples from 8-5:30. Have seen Naples and the ruins before so would like to do a DIY to Capri. The ship charges $200 per person for a whole day Capri tour including lunch. It's a little expensive for us. Thinking about taking the hydrofoil to Capri from Naples and book some tour with a private vendor. But since there are only 2 of us, we are not really reducing the cost that much since we are going to have a private tour. Also worry about the hydrofoil schedule not being convenient to the time we are travelling. Has anyone hired a private tour company that offers a tour from Naples to Capri at a reasonable rate?

The private boat tours I have seen on the internet, seems like they mostly just go around the island for a couple of hours. I am more interested in doing sightseeing inland once we are in Capri, not so much going on a boat tour around the island. They also want you to join up once you have made your way to Capri from Naples on your own. Please share any DIY tour info from Naples. Or if you have done anything outside of Naples that are interesting, I would love to hear about the too. Thank you in advance.

It is super easy!! The hydrofoil dock is right next to the ship dock (at least on our several stops there) and you just walk over, buy a ticket, and get on the next boat. They have very very cool taxis there, all lined up at the port, just pick one and negotiate for a tour. We had great luck with a wonderful driver. He took us all over the island, took us to a wonderful seafood resto for lunch, and got us back to the dock in plenty of time to catch our return ferry. Just be sure to book either round trip or book your return as soon as you arrive on Capri.

It was one of our best port days ever!

As far as I know there are no tour operators that take you from Naples to Capri, and then around Capri, other than the cruise lines themselves.

It is very easy to get yourself over to Capri on your own as the ferry port, Molo Beverello, is adjacent to the cruise port, Molo Angioino.

Once on Capri you can look at the tours offered on http://www.capri.net.

Yes, as others have already posted, it is very easy to DIY. You can use google maps to see exactly where the cruise ships dock & the location of Molo Beverello, adjacent to where your ship will dock. We spent a lovely day in Capri & also took the boat out to the Blue Grotto.

Edited by dogs4fun

Yes it is very easy to do yourself but there can be complications. If there are major crowds, be sure you leave Capri in plenty of time to get back to Naples. Even crowds back up getting down the funicular on Capri to get to the docks.

Also the hydrofoils don't run if the seas gets bad so stay alert as to the weather!

We had no weather issues but the crowds were terrible!

Hi, we did this on our own, very easy, post #87 in my photo review below gives a few directions on how to get there, one important tip is to buy your return ticket as soon as you get to Capri, they can sell out.

The fastest boats are indoor seating only, which I did not realize until we boarded for the return trip, if you're claustrophobic around water ( I am, pretty bad) try to book a slower one so you can sit outside or at least stand near the open deck...

I loved Capri, & would like to go back when it's not raining :)

P.S.: CornishPastyMan & Virtual Rain are members who have great videos/photo instructions

Edited by cruise kitty

As everyone has said Capri is a very easy port to DIY. Cash is required to pay for ferry tickets. Try to get the first boat out and purchase your return tickets when you arrive. I did a post along with pictures about 5 Things to do in Capri for the day to help people DIY the island of Capri, which you can see at

winenchocolate dot com.

Capri is one of my favorite islands to visit.

There really are no true "private" tours from Naples that include "private" transportation. Everyone (including cruise line excursions) uses the jetboat/hydrofoils. There are many threads and posts (more then a few by moi) on this board so simply search. You will find all the detailed info.

Hank

Thank you everyone for replying my post. My major concern is making sure we don't miss taking the hydrofoil back, but otherwise, it seems like once you get yourself on the island, the rest is easy. Thanks again for all the replies.

Our port time in Naples is 8.am-2p.m, please advise whether if it is enough time for Capri tour (DIY) ? Thanks in advance !

What cruise line does this? That's an absurdly short port day.

Best case would be if you make the 8:35 ferry to Capri, arriving between 9:15 - 9:30.

In order to be safely back to the ship before your all-aboard time of 1:30 PM you'd need to be on the 12:15 return ferry, at the latest (arrives at about 1 PM).

It's up to you if three hours (or slightly less) on Capri is worth it.

If one has limited port time (7:30-1 pm) would you just recommend paying for the ship excursion vs DIY?

With that short of a port day (really, what cruise lines are setting up such silly itineraries?) the best case is about two and a half hours on Capri, regardless of whether you go with the ship excursion or on your own.

8:05 ferry to Capri, arrives shortly before 9 AM.

11:35 return, arrives by 12:30 PM.

Our port time in Naples is 8.am-2p.m, please advise whether if it is enough time for Capri tour (DIY) ? Thanks in advance !

Personally, we would never recommend going to Capri in that situation. You will likely need to be back to your ship by 1:30 and keep in mind that its about a 50 min ride between Naples and Capri and then you need additional time to get anywhere on the island (including up to Capri Town). The latest return ferry you could take would be the 12:15 and the 11:35 would be the wiser option. And remember you need to allow sufficient time to get down tot he ferry port on Capri (Marina Grande). This will probably leave you with less than 2 hours to see Capri (not nearly enough time) and you will pay over 40 Euros a person just to get to and from Capri.

Hank

P.S. We have often suggested that cruisers pay close attention to the port times (and days of the week in various ports) BEFORE choosing a cruise. When we see these kind of short port days we quickly move-on and look at other cruiser options.

I'm guessing those short port stops are on MSC or Costa. They really do not provide enough time in port to see much....

That is an understatement :). We have often laughed (truly) when we look at some of the Costa schedules. We have long wondered why anyone would take a cruise with their port times. But I guess each to their own decision making.

Hank

I've already done the Amalfi coast, so in reality, I don't care much about what I do. But our port times changed due to having to substitute Tunisia. I'm fine with that. In reality- you don't have much time anywhere if you're on a cruise. It's just a small piece to entice you to do a land vacation (which we are doing but in other parts of Italy). I'll likely just head back to Pompeii now with limited time.