Lido Buffet etiquette question

knippsel

Some thoughts... if you see the line long on one side of the ship... check the other side. Often I find the port side has a shorter line.

If you see the port side closed... check the starboard side... I think it opens earlier.

I also noticed its easier to find seating on the port side than the starboard side. Likely because the starboard side opens up first.

Thank you for being sensitive to others and wanting to follow a code of etiquette. It is an often forgotten practice when a couple of thousand people are trying to do and see the same things.

We are definitely "find a table first" type folks for the reasons others have explained very well. We have been surprised several times at a four top when my wife and I are waiting on her parents to get their plates with folks that will just sit down at our table without asking.....seriously.

This is usually when the Lido is packed, but still. As friendly as the table hoarder that posted earlier sounds, I do not like that practice. On our last Alaskan cruise in 2012, the lido was constantly packed as we started to see land structures. There was no shortage of friendly people who anchored the window seats for hours as others wandered in frustration looking for a place to sit and eat.

Just look at the debates over anchoring poolside lounge chairs with a towel bag and you'll see how bitterly clean cut, productive and otherwise friendly people can disagree. We are not opposed to lido sightseers during off peak hours....but please get up after your meal when the lido is slammed. We should be more social, but it is still awkward for us to eat with strangers.....especially non invited strangers at "our' table.

It seems like most of us agree that etiquette should be observed, the problem is defining what the kindest practice is. I do love the poster that that observed that no matter what the problems, we all gain weight on the cruise. Happy sailing to all.

And there you have it, the reason we don't really like the Lido. So hard to find a place to sit most of the time, and the reason I dread it on embarkation day. And that's not directed toward you in regards to needing that four top. It's more about you not being able to reasonably use a four top after you were lucky enough to find it. At times it's just a free for all. Ugh.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

Lorie:

I think there are some folks that would like to strangle us when the only thing open is a four top and there are two of us.....so point well taken. Fortunately for the lido folks (and unfortunately for me because she is going), my mother in law really prefers the sit down and order service in the restaurants. So problem solved, at least for one cruise!

Brett

We avoid the buffet like the plague.

Too crowded. Food is too cold by the time it gets to the table and then we find ourselves popping up to get something that we forgot. Not our idea of a vacation. Nor do we want to spend time looking for a table...and a clean one at that.

But the number one reason is cruisers handling food with their hands, sneezing etc. All too often we see people reaching in with their hands to get things like bread, fruit, cookies, whatever. Yuk. No wonder there is so much Noro around the cruise ships.

On one of our last cruises we saw someone drop a serving utensil on the floor, pick it up (by the opposite end) and place it back in the buffet. Could not believe our eyes. Fortunately a staff member was watching and immediately removed the utensil.

So we do not care if people find a table, get the food first, or sit all day long playing cards. You are welcome to the table that we would otherwise occupy.

Edited by iancal

We grab a table first and then take turns getting our food.

I have no problem if others want to join our table. In fact I am delighted if I know the people. If I don't know them they are still welcome to use the table but I hate it when they want to become my new best friend and talk my ear off.

We are in the "Table First" group.. We normally travel with Friends.. My Friend & I find a table for four while our DH's are getting their food.. Then My Friend & I take turns getting Drinks..

Since HAL no longer has tray's, it's very difficult to look for a table while you have hot food in your hands.. Our DH's many times get hot soup before they go for their main course..

When one of the Husbands come to the table with his plate of food, my Friend & I will get ours.. It's also very important for me to get DH settled first, before I get my meal.. :)

When I'm with my little ones, 11 and 13 now, I would grab the table, making sure they know where it is, and let them get their food first. Usually the three of us don't want the same food station so if we got the food first we would probably all wander around in circles looking for each other and never catching up. ;)

This way I know they won't get lost and they get their food and come back to the table we found when we got there.

When I'm by myself it's definitely food first then table.

I sail solo and am in the "table first" category. I usually get beverages first, find a table, tilt one of the chairs against the table to signal that the table is occupied, and then I go back for my hot (or supposed to be hot) items.

If I'm by myself, it's food first then table, because I usually only carry my room key and a book around the ship. I have nothing to "save" the table with. And it's just me, so location isn't as important.

My family tends to hang out in the Lido near the windows and one of our party is an early riser. He grabs a table early in the Lido and we all meet him for breakfast as we get up and about. He knows it is usually a coupe of hours before the rest of us will join him, so if the table is needed in the morning rush, he is more than happy to share with others. And because the table is "saved" in that case, we'll drop our stuff, get food and come back.

For lunch, if the party is all on board, one of us will find a table in the preferred area and wait for everyone to join them. When someone else arrives and gets food, the table holder gets their food.

You have one person who saves a table for your family for "a couple of hours"

However if someone else need a table he will share

What happens if a member or members of your family arrive and the "saved" table is occupied? Are they evicted

I don't think it is reasonable to "save a table for a few hours when it is not needed

Apparently you do the same at lunch

PS I get the table first then the food

My DH and I usually get our food and head back to our cabin to enjoy on the Veranda. Thereby saving a table for others to use while we get to eat in relaxing quiet. We also eat totally different foods so would be difficult to find each other if we got our food and then searched for a table. If the weather is not pleasant for outdoor eating we will watch a movie or DVD that we have brought from home.

Lorie:

I think there are some folks that would like to strangle us when the only thing open is a four top and there are two of us.....so point well taken. Fortunately for the lido folks (and unfortunately for me because she is going), my mother in law really prefers the sit down and order service in the restaurants. So problem solved, at least for one cruise!

Brett

You are right Brett. And as my husband and I are only two, we have sat at four tops when nothing else was available so it does go both ways. When we are at a four top and another couple comes by, we do point our there are two seats available at the table. If we see two seats empty at a four top, we always ask before we sit. We don't mind sharing at all, so that's not an issue with us. Sometimes sitting and dining in the Lido is smooth and comfortable, and sometimes it's just awkward. We really do try to go to the Lido during the more quiet times in order to avoid the seating "showdown" lol. But I guess on HAL there are other areas to find places to sit and eat, so we will be in the food first category. And we have never gone hungry on a cruise LOL :D

Lorie

And there you have it, the reason we don't really like the Lido. So hard to find a place to sit most of the time, and the reason I dread it on embarkation day. And that's not directed toward you in regards to needing that four top. It's more about you not being able to reasonably use a four top after you were lucky enough to find it. At times it's just a free for all. Ugh.

Lorie

What is a couple supposed to do if not use a four top? :confused: There are not many two tops and on the Vista ships, the ones along the buffet line are awful. If a couple shouldn't be using a four top, what is a solo to do? Not eat in Lido? They (we) are not as entitled to a seat as everyone else?

Edited by sail7seas

We grab a table first and then take turns getting our food.

I have no problem if others want to join our table. In fact I am delighted if I know the people. If I don't know them they are still welcome to use the table but I hate it when they want to become my new best friend and talk my ear off.

Exactly how we feel about it.:)

Gary uses a walker and can only walk short distances with that; I am somewhat mobility challenged as well. When we go to the Lido Gary grabs the first table he finds then I go get his breakfast (or lunch), deliver it to him, then return and get my own food.

Don't ever asume that he is alone just sitting and resting. If you want to sit at the table with him just ask. He will be happy to meet you unless that wouldn't leave a seat for me.:eek: Jane

Edited by lazey1

Interesting Lido event on our recent NA Caribbean cruise.

Very crowded breakfast time with lots of people looking for an empty chair or table. We (DH and I) sat at a six top and were asked to move to the other side of the barrier to a small two top by the serving line. We refused. The attendant then asked an elderly couple at another six-top table to move and they did. The attendant then put six water glasses around the six top.

In waltzed a group of six young ladies who sat themselves down at the large table, chatting and thanking the attendant for saving "their" table.

So bad! I lodged a complaint,

After years of sailing HAL and the last few dining mainly in the Lido, we opt for securing a table after picking up our drinks, silverware and an appetizer or soup or salad, etc. to indicate the table is taken. Then we head to the main line. I do not like one of us waiting for the other, because our food can get cold and you spend needless time waiting.

On sea days, we usually eat in the Tamarind for lunch (Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam) or eat the Mariner's Brunch or Indonesian Lunch when it's offered. On embarkation day, we eat lunch in the MDR and it's much quieter.

Happy Sailing!

Go to the dining room. You will be shown to a table, and SERVED! You need not search for syrup or jam...you don't have to juggle plate and OJ..as everything you need will be brought to you! And guess what? You do NOT need to be "dressed up" for breakfast or lunch in the dining room...very casual! Shorts/tees are fine!

Ever so much easier, nicer and more relaxing!

Not reading through all of the responses, this is what I have learned to do.

I obtain my table first. I take with me a book or my journal and place it on the table, maybe along with a small food item, i.e. a glass of juice at breakfast. I then obtain a cup of coffee or whatever beverage I want. I then obtain whatever food I wish to consume.

I have found having some personal items left on the table, as a solo cruiser, discourages Lido Restaurant Stewards from totally taking everything, utensels, cups, glasses, etc. from the table if I leave to obtain something else. Several times, I even made a small sign from the cards left on our beds at night that said: "I'll return."

<snip>

Several times, I even made a small sign from the cards left on our beds at night that said: "I'll return."

I like this. I wonder if we brought regular card stock with "Reserved" or "This Table Is Taken" on it if that would work also?

Go to the dining room. You will be shown to a table, and SERVED! You need not search for syrup or jam...you don't have to juggle plate and OJ..as everything you need will be brought to you! And guess what? You do NOT need to be "dressed up" for breakfast or lunch in the dining room...very casual! Shorts/tees are fine!

And it takes a year and a day!

NO THANKS!!!

Have to agree with cb at sea.

We are not about to pay a pile of money for a cruise only to stand in line at a cafeteria and then hunt for a clean table.

Agreed.... I go to main dining for stress free table service... then go to the Lido to reload.

What is a couple supposed to do if not use a four top? :confused: There are not many two tops and on the Vista ships, the ones along the buffet line are awful. If a couple shouldn't be using a four top, what is a solo to do? Not eat in Lido? They (we) are not as entitled to a seat as everyone else?

You're right. There are so few two tops that I often could only find four tops available during lunch on my last cruuse. As a solo, I often ate at the Lido bar to leave those four tops for others. Especially on sea days, with everyone on board, I just didn't feel right taking a four top just for myself. And I got to enjoy the company of the bar staff.