Whos gets the bar tips?

Just back from a cruise, and was asked by some friends we cruised with 'who gets the tips at the bar'. Never thought about it, but now I am curious.

Who gets the tips under these scenarios?

1 The 18% automatic tip. Does it go to the server that prepared the drink, or is it pooled?

2 Adding additional tip to receipt. Again the server or pooled.

3 Additional cash tip. I assume the server would get this.

Thanks

Craig

Don't know about prepaids but I've noticed on many trips that cash tips made at the bar go in a jar. What the bar waiters do is unclear.

Our experience is that bartenders pool tips and bar servers keep the tips themselves.

Our experience is that bartenders pool tips and bar servers keep the tips themselves.

Interesting differentiation. If you give the bar server cash instead of adding it to the receipt -- they simply can keep it. Why not the same if you do that for a bartender, if you are going to the bar for drinks?

Interesting differentiation. If you give the bar server cash instead of adding it to the receipt -- they simply can keep it. Why not the same if you do that for a bartender, if you are going to the bar for drinks?

I have found it to be this way at most of the bars that I frequented or worked at in my youth. The bartenders tend to work as a team, helping each other out where the servers are working independently. Servers would actually provide a % of their tips (tipping out) to the bartenders.

I have found it to be this way at most of the bars that I frequented or worked at in my youth. The bartenders tend to work as a team, helping each other out where the servers are working independently. Servers would actually provide a % of their tips (tipping out) to the bartenders.

I never worked as a server (even in college), but know that waiters/waitresses/servers in restaurants do share some of their tips with the kitchen help....so that they can be assured that their orders are done promptly....the faster they can serve their diners, the more they can turn over their tables and serve more customers and make more tips (for everyone).

I can see how it could work for a bar situation as well, although I would not have thought on a cruise ship.

Edited by Paulette3028

I never worked as a server (even in college), but know that waiters/waitresses/servers in restaurants do share some of their tips with the kitchen help....so that they can be assured that their orders are done promptly....the faster they can serve their diners, the more they can turn over their tables and serve more customers and make more tips (for everyone).

I can see how it could work for a bar situation as well, although I would not have thought on a cruise ship.

For servers tipping out the bartenders it mostly has to do with how the bar is set up. If the servers rely on the bartender to get and make the drinks for them then they usually tip them, if the bar is set up with a service bar where the servers can get and make their own drinks then they usually do not tip the bartenders.

The added tips are pooled....cash tips go in the pocket of whomever you hand it to...

The pooled tips are, at 15-18%, quite good, even if pooled! You may write in additional amounts, but we generally wait until the last evening and tip the server that we use the most in cash.