Will we have to go through US Customs Border Services every time we disembark??

hokiefans

Hi all,

I asked this question on the roll call but no one has responded so I thought I would try with a larger audience. I have looked through the threads but have not been able to find one with my question but am confident you will help me!

We are booked on the Mardi Gras & Caribbean Cruise on the Celebrity Equinox leaving FLL on February 20th, 2017. We will be sailing to George Town, Grand Cayman > Costa Maya, Mexico > Cozumel, Mexico > New Orleans, Louisiana (2 overnights) > Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I have looked up the Passenger Vessel Services Act on the Internet and found that the PVSA prohibits non-U.S. flag vessels from providing transportation for passengers in the domestic coastwise trade, i.e. between U.S. ports. That is, a passenger may not travel round trip from a U.S. port without also travelling to a foreign port during the voyage, and may not join the ship in one U.S. port and depart the ship in a different U.S. port unless the vessel travels to a distant foreign port during the voyage.

So, my question is this: Will we have to clear customs and immigration on arrival in New Orleans? What about every time we get off the ship over our 2and ½ days in NOLA? If yes, will we have to do it again when we return to Fort Lauderdale??

thanks!

I believe everyone will have to go through Immigration when you first arrive in NO. You will go through both when you get back to Ft. Lauderdale. You will not have to go through Immigration every time you get off the ship in NO.

Edited by hancock

If the same procedure as we did in Key West you go to the Immigration officials before you get off in NOLA they punch your card so they know at the gangway you have been cleared

you can come & go as you please

Then in Ft Lauderdale you go though them after you pick up your luggage

Edited by LHT28

Because they are leaving and returning to the same port (FLL), it's permissible for the ship to travel to two or more US ports in a row as long as they stop in a foreign port. That's why on the Hawaiian RTs that are from LA, the four or five Hawaiian ports in a row are okay because the ship will stop in Ensenada. The same for the RT Alaskan ones that start/end in SF or Seattle. The ship will go to at least three Alaskan ports, but then stop in Victoria, BC before heading back to its starting port.

:D

Thanks Hancock and LHT28 for your quick and informative responses! I knew the answer was out there!

Would you know how they are able to go to two US ports in a row??

The PVSA says that a foreign flagged ship cannot transport passengers FROM one US port TO a different US port. As in, an open-jaw cruise that begins and ends in two different US ports. Just stopping a 2 (or more) US ports as part of a closed loop itinerary (one that begins and ends in the same US port) doesn't violate the PVSA.

You are also stopping in a foreign port during the cruise

You would not be able to go from FLL > Charleston> Boston > FLL on a non American flagged ship but you could do it on an American flagged ship

You are also stopping in a foreign port during the cruise

You would not be able to go from FLL > Charleston> Boston > FLL on a non American flagged ship but you could do it on an American flagged ship

It doesn't matter that it is a foreign port it has to be a distant foreign port.

Hi all,

I asked this question on the roll call but no one has responded so I thought I would try with a larger audience. I have looked through the threads but have not been able to find one with my question but am confident you will help me!

We are booked on the Mardi Gras & Caribbean Cruise on the Celebrity Equinox leaving FLL on February 20th, 2017.

That looks like a neat cruise. We love NOLA. Do they do any special local chief dinners the nights in NOLA like getting someone in from Emeril's?

Edited by DirtyDawg

That looks like a neat cruise. We love NOLA. Do they do any special local chief dinners the nights in NOLA like getting someone in from Emeril's?

I highly doubt it, although considering the ship ports overnight, you could always book a table at Emeril's in advance and dine there if it's something that interests you.

That aside, you'll get a much better meal at Herbsaint.

I highly doubt it, although considering the ship ports overnight, you could always book a table at Emeril's in advance and dine there if it's something that interests you.

That aside, you'll get a much better meal at Herbsaint.

Thanks for the Herbsaint recommendation. Did you try Buffa's for their Sunday Jazz brunch?

Sorry, no.

Next time go. We had a blast. Great Jazz!! :D It's just outside the quarter and defiantly more of a place for locals vs. tourists the morning we were there but they let us Northerners join their party. :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Yes, it will be fun! They still have verandahs but the price on the X website is almost twice what we reserved at. Someone on our thread is looking to see if someone wants a cabin at the original price though....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46200321#post46200321

So far, they only have an "excursion" for reserved seating for a Lundi Gras (Monday evening) parade. I think I would make my own reservations for dinner on my schedule, rather than trying to do it with 45 of my closest friends.:rolleyes:

Many thanks to everyone for your feedback!

Warm regards and let the good times roll!

Yes, it will be fun! They still have verandahs but the price on the X website is almost twice what we reserved at. Someone on our thread is looking to see if someone wants a cabin at the original price though....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46200321#post46200321

So far, they only have an "excursion" for reserved seating for a Lundi Gras (Monday evening) parade. I think I would make my own reservations for dinner on my schedule, rather than trying to do it with 45 of my closest friends.:rolleyes:

Many thanks to everyone for your feedback!

Warm regards and let the good times roll!

I saw the price earlier today.:eek::eek:

When did you book?

I saw the price earlier today.:eek::eek:

When did you book?

January 19th! (Don't even LOOK at their and 3 nights in FLL package - it is an extra $1400!!!) They also had a 123Go promo at the time. We chose the classic beverage package as our freebie. :D Apparently, prices were cheaper when the first release it in December.

hokiefans

Edited by hokiefans