New to cruising--a little help needed please

momtotwinsx2

Hello

My husband and I are taking our children on the Golden Princess out of San Francisco on a 10 day cruise up to Alaska this summer. We have 4 children--twin girls who are 10 and twin boys who are 12. This will be a first cruise for all of us, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Our travel agent has us confirmed for the 5:30 traditional dinner. I was thinking of changing us to anytime dining. The reason for this is that we have at least 2 port days where we will get back to the ship late and also I was not sure how the kids clubs ran. Do the kids eat dinner in the kid's clubs on some nights? My husband and I would like to try a specialty restaurant without the kids on one night. The anytime dining seems like a good fit in case we want to eat late on some nights; but I am concerned with wait times. Having to wait for a table with 4 children is not always fun :D. I have read where they sometimes let you make reservations for a table in anytime dining? How does this work?

Lastly, I was curious about what beverages are available to children in the main dining room. I was thinking about not purchasing a soda card as I don't like them to drink a lot of soda. I am guessing there is milk. Is there lemonade or soda for purchase on a night by night basis?

Thanks for any help! Any tips would be great!

Hi Mom (never thought I'd write that to anyone else). I'm sure someone who knows more will be along soon, but since you asked the questions 35-40 minutes ago, I thought I'd give a shot to the things I could address.

Anytime Dining is probably better, just to provide flexibility. You will have to wait mostly if you go at awkward times. Keep in mind when they start serving, and when that crowd would be finished. If they start ATD 5:30 and you show up at 6:15, you're not going to find open tables.

I think a fair number of beverages are available in the main dining room without charge: milk, lemonade, water, etc.

We'll have to hope someone else can answer how you can have a specialty dinner and have your kids watched.

P.S. Your kids are a great age for Alaska and for you first cruise. Have a blast.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

You really will have time to get ready for dinner....no worries! Port days are long...you will be more than ready to head back in time to eat! Early seating is best with kids and the kid's club!

Edited by cb at sea

You should be back on the ship in time to get ready for dinner. We tried anytime dining the first night and hated it. The line was incredible. I'm not sure about children's options, as far as drinks go, nor do I know if they actually eat in the kids' clubs. If they don't and you want to do a specialty restaurant one night, you can take the kids to the buffet and get them fed, then take them to the kid's club while you guys enjoy your dinner reservation. I believe I read on the Patter that the kid's club was open until 1:30 AM.

You really will have time to get ready for dinner....no worries! Port days are long...you will be more than ready to head back in time to eat! Early seating is best with kids and the kid's club!

I agree. The same waiters will get to know you and your kids and better meet your needs. Lemonade and iced tea are free with dinner. You can order soda as you go with a charge for each can.

Sorry I don't know how the kid's club works.

I'd stick with assigned dining.

Problem with ATD with larger parties is, like a restaurant at home, there might be a wait for a larger table. Also, Princess has this annoying habit of allowing assigned time diners into ATD.

The buffet is always an option.

Alaska is Awesome with kids, and very educational!!

- my suggestion is defiantley early seating with kids ( we have done both). It's really nice having the same waiter, who gets to know your kids. Ps: lemonade is very sweet, I only allowed my girls to have sometimes. They get to eat so many sweets on the cruise, that I find limiting them to mostly water after breakfast helps keep the sugar down. ( 4 us parents too;)

- make sure kids do the ranger visit in kids programs, and any of the educational shows, my girls loved

- great museums in Alaska, a cheap way to add to the day.

- if u arrive late, u can always grab supper in buffet.

- yes kids can eat with camp. We have also had our kids eat early in buffet, take them to camp, then dine ourselves. Or gave them some cabin time, where they got to do room service and a movie.

From our experience we had very few kids whenever we sailed Alaska ( may- mid June). But my kids Loved it, and they got extra attention from crew. ;)

Edited by ldock
Added

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have 2 port days that are late--one excursion that we are booked on gets back at 7:30 and another at 6:30. If we do have the earlier seating, we could do the buffet, etc. on those nights. Whichever way we go, I am sure that we will have fun!

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have 2 port days that are late--one excursion that we are booked on gets back at 7:30 and another at 6:30. If we do have the earlier seating, we could do the buffet, etc. on those nights. Whichever way we go, I am sure that we will have fun!

Yes there are lots of options. ;)

Hello

My husband and I are taking our children on the Golden Princess out of San Francisco on a 10 day cruise up to Alaska this summer. We have 4 children--twin girls who are 10 and twin boys who are 12. This will be a first cruise for all of us, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Our travel agent has us confirmed for the 5:30 traditional dinner. I was thinking of changing us to anytime dining. The reason for this is that we have at least 2 port days where we will get back to the ship late and also I was not sure how the kids clubs ran. Do the kids eat dinner in the kid's clubs on some nights? My husband and I would like to try a specialty restaurant without the kids on one night. The anytime dining seems like a good fit in case we want to eat late on some nights; but I am concerned with wait times. Having to wait for a table with 4 children is not always fun :D. I have read where they sometimes let you make reservations for a table in anytime dining? How does this work?

Lastly, I was curious about what beverages are available to children in the main dining room. I was thinking about not purchasing a soda card as I don't like them to drink a lot of soda. I am guessing there is milk. Is there lemonade or soda for purchase on a night by night basis?

Thanks for any help! Any tips would be great!

Here are my thoughts:

Dining: Stay with the early traditional dining. You will have a table waiting even if you are a little late. There will be no wait. Your waiters will learn just what your children like and will be able to handle it. If you plan to dine elsewhere it's it's nice to inform your waiters the day before or even the same day.

In ATD the DR normally fills up by 5:30/5:45 and those arriving after that time normally can not be seated until the first batch clear which is around 7pm. Full tables for 6 may be a little difficult to get.

If you have traditional dining and you get back to the ship late, you can approach the head waiter in the ATD room, explain the situation and they should be able to seat you around 7:30.

There are alternate places your children may enjoy such as the Horizon Ct. buffet, Prego Pizza, Trident Grill International Cafe & room service. These are no charge.

It is possible to make reservations for ATD, but reservations are restricted to specific times only. These are normally, 5:15, 5:30, 5:45, maybe 6:00, 7:30, 7:45 maybe 8:00. You have to call the DINE line which opens at 8am each day and if you are going ashore this may be difficult. There are normally lots of callers at this time and it can be difficult to get through. Generally those that wish to dine after 7:30 have no problem getting a table in the ATD rooms. It is the early times that are the problem.

Youth Center:

Look here for details http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Youth_Guidelines_Registration.pdf

As far as I know no dinner is served in the youth center and food is permitted only as stated in the guidelines. The youth center is open at 6pm to 10pm in the evening and after that on a pay basis for kidsitting. On the evening(s) you wish to dine in Sabatini's, Crown Grill or the Crab Shack, take your children to one of the alternate dining areas mentioned above before your reservation time. They can then go to the youth center while you are dining. Reservations are needed for the alternate restaurants. You get them via the dine line, or visit the restaurant itself on boarding day or any day.

For dinner milk, ice tea, hot tea and water are available in the DR. Soda is available for a charge. At the buffet lemonade is also available for dinner. Lemonade is not sold. For breakfast there are a number of juices available such as OJ, Apple, Cranberry both in the DR and in the buffet.

Take a look here for the unlimited soda and unlimited soda and more packages: http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine

Hope this information helps.

I also have seen chocolate milk for the children.

You might have your children pick out a book or two at your local library about the Gold Rush and Native Alaskan history . Knowing about the history of Alaska will bring the area to live for them.

We took our kids to Alaska when they were slightly younger than your kids. It is still their favorite trip! Probably the only thing they have ever agreed on as brother and sister and they are now well into their twenties. One suggestion, since it is the first cruise for all of you, is to maybe pack some Seabands or ginger tablets. Our son was never seasick, but was ill on our Alaskan cruise. Enjoy! So happy for your family.

Here are my thoughts:

For dinner milk, ice tea, hot tea and water are available in the DR. Soda is available for a charge. At the buffet lemonade is also available for dinner. Lemonade is not sold. For breakfast there are a number of juices available such as OJ, Apple, Cranberry both in the DR and in the buffet.

Milk is available at all meals and from room service no charge.

They have regular, skim (may be 0%, 1% or 2%, but they call it skim).

Children can also have chocolate milk at no charge, but adults will be charged.