Prettiest port from a water view

graygirl

I'm curious, what ports are so beautiful you might be tempted to stay on your balcony soaking up the view rather than getting off the ship...?

Sydney Harbour gets my vote. Arriving with the rising sun behind you as it lights up the natural and man made beauty of this truly magnificent harbour.

The view is equally spectacular when you leave from beside the Harbour Bridge and Opera House and sail out the imposing North and South heads. This time with the setting sun behind you. :)

I would not stay on my balcony in any port but my favorite is Naples the port is right in the middle of the city ,it is all laid out in front of you .You can also see the volcano from the ship . There are not many ports right in the town you are going to so it is very special .

Nothing like cruising into Venice! If you get a chance, tender into Santorini during the evening and check out the town and the ship below -- really neat!

Hard to take a poor photograph in Santorini. Beautiful place.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

On a small ship, the view in Shanghai is spectacular. 20+ years ago, across the river from the Bund was farm land. Today it is home to the second tallest building in the world.

Unfortunately the big ships dock outside of town

Sydney Harbour gets my vote. Arriving with the rising sun behind you as it lights up the natural and man made beauty of this truly magnificent harbour.

The view is equally spectacular when you leave from beside the Harbour Bridge and Opera House and sail out the imposing North and South heads. This time with the setting sun behind you. :)

Entering a harbor and dockside views can be vastly different things. That said, there are few equals to entering Sydney Harbor at daybreak. But them, there is also sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge with the fog rolling down the Marin headlands and the CityFront ahead.

Entering a harbor and dockside views can be vastly different things. That said, there are few equals to entering Sydney Harbor at daybreak. But them, there is also sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge with the fog rolling down the Marin headlands and the CityFront ahead.

I agree, there is a certain excitement about cruising under the Golden Gate bridge into the San Francisco area! Fog, or no fog, it's a very special moment!

We've made this passage a couple of times!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Malta is spectacular on sailin. Venice is an unmatched sailin, but once you are docked, the view isn't much. Hong Kong from Ocean Terminal was spectacular. I wonder what the views will be from the new Kai Tak terminal...EM

I'm curious, what ports are so beautiful you might be tempted to stay on your balcony soaking up the view rather than getting off the ship...?

Pretty much all the Southeast Alaska ports and Greek islands ports have been my favorite wrt views. Venice has been mentioned, but I think that's more limited to sail in/out. The views from the port itself aren't very special.

As for the Caribbean region, Tortola, Dominica, Labadee and the Bahamian private islands are great from the balcony views. Plus, I gotta plug my home....the waterside views in Key West are also great. :)

Oh...and Cabo and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo are gorgeous ports on the Mex Riviera side.

Edited by Aquahound

The Panama Canal is a great view on the ship so I didnt want to get off...

...wait my cruise didn't let me get off anyway. :D

I loved the view going to Cabo in Mexico and there was something beautifully eerie when we approached St Petersburg with the mist..but then that gave way to the Industrial buildings...gah.

Sailing into and out of Venice; same for Mykonos.

Ditto for San Juan, Puerto Rico. On a sunny bright day it is beautiful sail in past the forts.

Edited by sail7seas

Sailing into and out of Venice; same for Mykonos.

Ditto for San Juan, Puerto Rico. On a sunny bright day it is beautiful sail in past the forts.

I agree 100% with Venice, Mykonos and San Juan as gorgeous places to sail in and out of but once you are docked at these places the views are nothing special. The original question was asking which port had the best views for someone wanting to sit on their balcony and not get off the ship. Perhaps ambulating is the issue for the OP or someone in their party. :)

We totally enjoyed the view of Le-Chateau Frontenac in the Old walled city of Quebec at night .

She seamed to tower over the St. Lawrence river during our overnight stay on the B2B from Boston .

Edited by biker@sea