Please post your select dining experience now that Luminae has been built

ghstudio

We had early seating, MDR on Reflection. Our table was in the back on the left side, behind Luminae. We could only enter the MDR through the right door. Getting to and from our table involved a very long walk through the DR, squeezing between tables that seemed crowded and close together. We also had to dodge waiters carrying heavy trays who also had less room to walk through. As a non-suite passenger I felt very inconvenienced by Luminae and would consider select dining on my next cruise, although after reading this thread I'm having second thoughts about that.

I have a friend who was on Silhouette in March and she had the same experience with squeezing around table and plowing through dining room. They should maybe open up some isles to accommodate the guests making their way in and out.

My husband and I were on the Equinox in February during construction of Luminae. Our assigned table for two was also in this narrow area outside of the staff entrance to Luminae. Yes, we had to walk in and around some tables, but for the most part, while choosing a direct route, it was a straight shot back there. :)

We were always on time to 8:30 traditional dinner and walked along with other passengers heading to the same area. At that time, there were not many passengers already at their tables in the main area of the dining rooms. Therefore, there were no waiters carrying heavy trays to worry about bumping into. ;) The whole purpose of having traditional seating times is for everyone to arrive at the same time, and order at the same time. This alleviates confusion in the dining room and keeps the waiters on a schedule. I cannot tell you how many times passengers (especially this one family) arrived anywhere from 15-45 minutes late for dinner in traditional seating. I felt so sorry for a set of waiters near us because the parents of this one family would arrive semi on time and order right away. Then 15 minutes later, their adult daughter would arrive and order. Then 45 later, their son would stagger in and order (and reorder at least 2 extra entree's each night.) These are the passengers that belong in Select, not traditional.

You are absolutely correct.

When they do this, they are taking up seats in Select Dining that would otherwise go to regular Select diners.

The result is more congestion and longer waits for Select dining.

We really did not take up two spots as I explained before. Already had a table in traditional, and our relatives had one in Select. So in theory, we combined and gave up one table. ;) There was absolutely no incentive for us to eat in Luminae with the MDR menu.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out going forward if the Luminae reviews do not improve. Will Suite sales suffer (like the AQ's did when the stateroom category and Blu were first introduced?) I for one think that I will enjoy the Luminae menu (small portioned and different foods.) However, I do not like a lot of salt, as has been reported. Many passengers still enjoy a hearty meal. Therefore, if it is true that the MDR menu is not offered in Luminae, those passengers may ask to be seated in the MDR even though Luminae is their assigned venue.

We were Select Dining on our March 27 cruise and had no problem whatsoever with waiting times. We made reservations for the time we wanted each night - had a nice table for 2, great food, and really awesome service (best waiter in 40 cruises - Melvyn). We did go to Murano the first night and that was spectacular!

Just remember, for those who had a long wait for Select dining, you can always make a reservation. That way you won't have a buzzer thingy. lol

Sometimes a reservation works; sometimes not. Really depends on who the Maitre 'd and Hostess might be. The "rule" is "first come,first served". If someone insists on "your table" at your time and it is vacant they will get it. The Hostess will try to do everything they can to secure your choice of time and table, it cannot be guanteed.

Sometimes a reservation works; sometimes not. Really depends on who the Maitre 'd and Hostess might be. The "rule" is "first come,first served". If someone insists on "your table" at your time and it is vacant they will get it. The Hostess will try to do everything they can to secure your choice of time and table, it cannot be guanteed.

On my last 3 cruises, the maitre'D had a separate line for those with reservations. The line with reservations went before the line with people who had showed up without a reservation. It was not "First come, first served." I know that also, because I never make reservations.:)

When they do this, they are taking up seats in Select Dining that would otherwise go to regular Select diners.

The same thing happens when passengers assigned to Blu choose to dine in Select dining instead of Blu.

They could balance out the load quite easily if they would allow 2 passengers from the Select line the option of dining in Luminae or Blu for every 2 passengers from Luminae or Blu whom they seat in Select.

It need not be complicated at all.

The people who staff the podium at the entrance to Select could have passes for Luminae and Blue right there.

Whenever they seat passengers from Luminae or Blue in Select, they would then offer the appropriate number of passes for either Luminae or Blu to the next Select passengers who come along.

If they don't want it, the offer then goes to the next people in line.

Besides alleviating the overcrowding in Select, an additional benefit could be that having the opportunity to experience Luminae or Blu might give some Select passengers an incentive to book Aqua or Suite accommodations on a future cruise.

So it could be a win-win arrangement all the way around without unbalancing the passenger load in any of the dining venues involved.

I get your concept but BLU is fine the way it is...it is never without AQ diners to keep it busy and AQ guests usually do pay more for their cabins and BLU. Should not be offered to those who choose another category.

It was more complicated on Reflection when it had AQ suites that added to the numbers and

when the suite guests were allegedly being walked in ahead of AQ/BLU assignees

Solution to Luminae/Select/MDR issues should not shift to AQ and BLU......

Edited by hcat

On my last 3 cruises, the maitre'D had a separate line for those with reservations. The line with reservations went before the line with people who had showed up without a reservation. It was not "First come, first served." I know that also, because I never make reservations.:)

Glad that it worked on your last 3 cruises. Usually works for me, but not always and I know most of the RMs and F&B managers. The table I had reserved for 6:30pm on Reflection was occupied by others on my last Reflection cruise.I was the "top cruiser" on that cruise and that made no differene.Same thing happened on SIL last year.This year was on SIL 3 times (one more this Sunday) and no problems getting the same table with same waiter every evening, but told to get there by 6:15pm. I guess I could say that reservations work until they don't.

No...the "rule" (to the extent there is one...nothing is published) is that there are two lines...those with reservations in one, no reservations in the other. Then they alternate seating folks between the two lines. Having said that, there is the occasional ship/cruise with just one line (and of course they can't then explain why Celebrity allows you to make reservations at all), or some will seat two groups from reservations before one in the non-reservation line.

It can, and has gotten ugly when folks with reservations find a line in the reservations line and some without reservations are seated before them....and of course, one would expect a bit of a mess if someone had a reservation and found that there was only one line and no one cared that they had a reservation.

No...the "rule" (to the extent there is one...nothing is published) is that there are two lines...those with reservations in one, no reservations in the other. Then they alternate seating folks between the two lines. Having said that, there is the occasional ship/cruise with just one line (and of course they can't then explain why Celebrity allows you to make reservations at all), or some will seat two groups from reservations before one in the non-reservation line.

It can, and has gotten ugly when folks with reservations find a line in the reservations line and some without reservations are seated before them....and of course, one would expect a bit of a mess if someone had a reservation and found that there was only one line and no one cared that they had a reservation.

We are really talking about 2 different things. Some people who have reservations are only concerned about being seated at a specific time. Others make reservations not only for a time, but also for a specific waiter and table. "First come, first served" applies to the latter group. In most cases there are indeed two lines that are clearly marked, but once again not always. There is a consistent inconsistency in this as well as in other things.

I get your concept but BLU is fine the way it is...it is never without AQ diners to keep it busy and AQ guests usually do pay more for their cabins and BLU. Should not be offered to those who choose another category.

It was more complicated on Reflection when it had AQ suites that added to the numbers and

when the suite guests were allegedly being walked in ahead of AQ/BLU assignees

Solution to Luminae/Select/MDR issues should not shift to AQ and BLU......

Neither should the solution for MDR/Select issues shift to Luminae. Suite guests also pay more for their cabins. Those who choose other categories should not be offered "free passes" to Luminae.

We were on the Summit March 21st sailing. They had the wall for Luminae up. I say that it was crowded in the dining room. The tables were close together and difficult to get to where our table was. Which just so happened to be near the Luminae restaurant. This meant entering at the other side of the restaurant and maneuvering all the way over to the other side through tight spaces.

Also we had 8 people assigned to our table for 6. The first night they didn't realize it and had set the table for 6 people. They had the 4 people who arrived later to another table that first night. Then every night after that they just crowded us all in at the table meant for 6. It was way too crowded. You couldn't fit the entrée plates on the table without removing some silverware, bread plates, bread baskets, etc.

The same thing happens when passengers assigned to Blu choose to dine in Select dining instead of Blu.

They could balance out the load quite easily if they would allow 2 passengers from the Select line the option of dining in Luminae or Blu for every 2 passengers from Luminae or Blu whom they seat in Select.

It need not be complicated at all.

The people who staff the podium at the entrance to Select could have passes for Luminae and Blue right there.

Whenever they seat passengers from Luminae or Blue in Select, they would then offer the appropriate number of passes for either Luminae or Blu to the next Select passengers who come along.

If they don't want it, the offer then goes to the next people in line.

Besides alleviating the overcrowding in Select, an additional benefit could be that having the opportunity to experience Luminae or Blu might give some Select passengers an incentive to book Aqua or Suite accommodations on a future cruise.

So it could be a win-win arrangement all the way around without unbalancing the passenger load in any of the dining venues involved.

This will not work because Aqua and Suite guests are not "taking" seats away from the MDR. If I understand it right, Luminae is an option for Suite guests, like specialty dining, it's not their MDR.

We have Suite reservations with assigned MDR seating, and Luminae will be an option should I choose not to eat in the MDR. The same is true should we dine in a specialty restaurant.

Luminae is new to me and I look forward to trying it. Of course, whenever we plan to dine in a restaurant OTHER than the MDR, we try to let the maitre'D know in advance so our table may be used for Select.

If all else fails, there's always the buffet....

Glad that it worked on your last 3 cruises. Usually works for me, but not always and I know most of the RMs and F&B managers. The table I had reserved for 6:30pm on Reflection was occupied by others on my last Reflection cruise.I was the "top cruiser" on that cruise and that made no differene.Same thing happened on SIL last year.This year was on SIL 3 times (one more this Sunday) and no problems getting the same table with same waiter every evening, but told to get there by 6:15pm. I guess I could say that reservations work until they don't.

I am so sorry for your unfortunate circumstances in the MDR. I, myself, have never had a problem with reservations in Select dining even though I do not know most RM's and F&B managers.

I am so sorry for your unfortunate circumstances in the MDR. I, myself, have never had a problem with reservations in Select dining even though I do not know most RM's and F&B managers.

Your sympathy and kind words are most appreciated.

Perhaps they just don't like me. I was simply trying to alert posters that they should not be surprised if what they have experienced in past cruises and what has generally been reported by poster on CC will happen on their particular cruise. You will suffer less frustration if you are prepared to be surprised.

Edited by Orator

This will not work because Aqua and Suite guests are not "taking" seats away from the MDR. If I understand it right, Luminae is an option for Suite guests, like specialty dining, it's not their MDR.

We have Suite reservations with assigned MDR seating, and Luminae will be an option should I choose not to eat in the MDR. The same is true should we dine in a specialty restaurant.

Luminae is new to me and I look forward to trying it. Of course, whenever we plan to dine in a restaurant OTHER than the MDR, we try to let the maitre'D know in advance so our table may be used for Select.

If you are in a suite, you are assigned to Luminae....the same way all aqua passengers are assigned to Blu. You do NOT have MDR assignments.....the celebrity billing system has never been updated. If you pick early or late seating, you pay your gratuities on board...if you pick select dining, you pay your gratuities as part of your final payment. it has no other effect...it is only there to determine when you pay gratuities. Again....if you are in a suite, you are Assigned to Luminae and you have no early, late or select reservation in the MDR...it's not your optional restaurant...it is your assigned restaurant. Just like any restaurant, MDR, Blu, Luminae, you can book dinner at a specialty restaurant.

Edited by ghstudio

I could be wrong ( wouldn't be the first time:)) but I thought Luminae was the assigned dining room for suite passengers just as Blu is the assigned dining room for Aqua passengers.

Our reservations,when we are in Aqua, always show a assigned dining time like the MDR has since the Celebrity system isn't set up to accommodate the anytime dining in Blu.

Where did you get your information from? Like others are saying, Suite guests are assigned to the Luminae Dining Room, not MDR. If you have a source for your info, please provide.

I'm sorry, but you have misunderstood. :)

Luminae is the "MDR" for Suite guests. They have an "option" to eat in BLU. The MDR is primarily for guests not booked in suites or AQ class.

Edited by C-Dragons

Thanks everyone for the clarification - I think I've got it now. My reservations don't show where, just the assigned time, and all this is so new.

and you should just ignore that assigned time....If you are in a suite, you can just show up at Luminae, your assigned dining room, at any time for dinner.

I am just glad that there is finally some where for us upper suite class to eat away from the lower class rif raf:eek: Hopefully some day we can have are own pool Maybe we could just have the ship to are selfs and make the low life stay down in steerage or something;) Why does their have to be all of this separation? You pay more to stay in a suite but you are getting the nicer room why do you need your private little spots on the ship:rolleyes:

I am just glad that there is finally some where for us upper suite class to eat away from the lower class rif raf:eek: Hopefully some day we can have are own pool Maybe we could just have the ship to are selfs and make the low life stay down in steerage or something;) Why does their have to be all of this separation? You pay more to stay in a suite but you are getting the nicer room why do you need your private little spots on the ship:rolleyes:

I have talk with friends about this , if I was a 1%er , I would pick a much nicer smaller ship like Seabourne then a CS , RS or PH on Celebrity

I was on Amazara once , it was very nice

Edited by Airbalancer

We had Select Dining on the Summit for week of 4/4. I made reservations before sailing for just the 2 of us for 6:30 each night. Never had to wait and always got a table close to the rail (which we requested). Often we wandered in a little earlier and always was seated right away. Good and prompt service every night. This was our first Celebrity sailing.

I'm sorry, but you have misunderstood. :)

Luminae irim sorry s the "MDR" for Suite guests. They have an "option" to eat in BLU. The MDR is primarily for guests not booked in suites or AQ class.

I'm sorry, but you have misunderstood. We are on Reflection now as suite passengers and there is no such thing as assigned dining for suites. All options for dining are available to suite passengers. We have been told this by all, including Captains Club, if you don't think this is true call Captains Club to confirm. Please don't let this become a class battle.