Cruise ends in Russia Question

latebloomer56

Hi folk's,
We are looking at a TA in the spring 2016 FLA-Russia. Looks great but wondering about a trip that ends in Russia. Will we need visa's if we aren't staying? Maybe would like to stay a couple of days in St. Petersburg. Did a search but think I'm asking the wrong questions.
Of course it's a mute point if we don't like the Regal this fall.
Thanks as always for your responses which are always greatly appreciated.
Laura

[quote name='latebloomer56']Hi folk's,
We are looking at a TA in the spring 2016 FLA-Russia. Looks great but wondering about a trip that ends in Russia. Will we need visa's if we aren't staying? Maybe would like to stay a couple of days in St. Petersburg. Did a search but think I'm asking the wrong questions.
Of course it's a mute point if we don't like the Regal this fall.
Thanks as always for your responses which are always greatly appreciated.
Laura[/quote]
Assuming that all passengers have a U.S. Passport here is the rule: as quoted from the US Russian Embassy web site. You require a visa if you plan any touring on your own. Personally I would not disembark in St. Petersburg, I would select another port such as Copenhagen or Warnamunde where there are no visa requirements and travel is not restricted.

[B]"International Cruise Ship Passengers:[/B] International cruise ship passengers are permitted to visit Russian ports without a visa for a period of up to 72 hours. Passengers who wish to go ashore during port calls may do so without visas provided that they are with an organized tour at all times, accompanied by a tour operator who has been duly licensed by Russian authorities. These special entry/exit requirements do not apply to river boat cruise passengers and travelers coming to Russia on package tours. These travelers will need to apply for visas prior to entry, and should follow the general guidelines for entry/exit requirements." Edited by sknight

St. Petersburg is a wonderful city to visit - I can't imagine just leaving there without touring around. We were there for 2 days and went with a private Russian tour agency and had a fabulous time - we got to choose where we visited, it wasn't a "preset" tour. The best thing is that the agency gets the visa for you so no need for you to do it. :) Edited by Go-Bucks!

[quote name='Go-Bucks!']St. Petersburg is a wonderful city to visit - I can't imagine just leaving there without touring around. We were there for 2 days and went with a private Russian tour agency and had a fabulous time - we got to choose where we visited, it wasn't a "preset" tour.
The best thing is that the agency gets the visa for you so no need for you to do it. :)[/quote]
Were you there for 2 days while your cruise ship was in port, did you arrive in St. Petersburg some other way, or did you disembark your cruise ship in St. Petersburg like the OP is thinking about? Normally cruise ships do stay in St. Petersburg for 2 days and the private tour companies are set up to handle that timing, and no special visa is required, just the companies tour ticket.

[quote name='paul929207']The Russian visa application in not fun, but certainly doable.[/QUOTE]

I have done this 2x. At least the 2 times I have done this, you need an "invitation" from either the tour company or hotel you are staying with. So it has to be pre-arranged, with thought. It is definitely worth it as St. Petersburg is an awesome city. Also, I was more sticker shocked by the cost of the visa through a visa company than the visa application itself. And I hear it is much easier for Australians, and other nationalities than those of us who live in the US.
This type of trip also allows people the opportunity to take the train to Moscow and experience Moscow also.

[quote name='Coral']At least the 2 times I have done this, you need an "invitation" from either the tour company or hotel you are staying with.[/QUOTE]

Ah ... thank you.

When I read the russian federation rules, I could not see how
you could visit, without an invitation letter.

Thank you so very much everybody. We have always wanted to visit St. Petersburg, but with so many options haven't made it yet. If we like the Regal in Oct. we are booking the Northern Europe trip. If not in the spring TA (love my TA's) than later in the year but Russia is now in the mix :).

[quote name='paul929207']You cannot have too much time in St. Petersburg. We had an overnight on a Baltic cruise. Then spent 4 night there at the end of a Russian river cruise and did not see everything[/QUOTE]

Yea - I have been there 2x. Once land trip, once on a river cruise and I feel like I barely saw things. I hear people who spend 2 days there and think they saw all the highlights. They are missing a lot!