Disappointed with Regal food

Boatingmom

Ok,I'll say it. The food at dinner wasn't that good. The souffle was tasty as was the lamb and veal however, the beef was horrible in the late traditional dinner. Tasted like it was turning bad. Not aged beef, but bad. The lobster was bland and tasteless. The pastas were mush. The crawfish Mac and cheese was so salty it was no t edible. I swear somebody dumped the salt shaker accidentally.I know food is subjective but I guess my family'expectations were too high. The buffet was a bit better however I think Princess misses the mark by trying to make it too diversified. Curried dishes, Chinese dishes, grape leaves, white fish at breakfast? The homestyle dishes of meatloaf and chili. Really? The same food as a school cafeteria? We sailed 4/5-4/12/15. Maybe they were cleaning house before switching itinerary? Whatever the reason... we miss the ship but not the food.

Don't hate the messenger. Just want you to be prepared.

I was on the Regal the week before and the food in the MDR

was very. My last 2 cruises were on the Celebrity Eclipse and Royal's Allure. The food on the Regal was excellent in comparison to both these ships. Did you try the specialty restaurant or the buffet? Also very good.Sorry your meals weren't good.

HAL- Nieu Amsterdam 4/95

NCL- Norway 4/96

DCL- Magic 5/04

RCCL- AOS 4/05

PCL- Golden Princess 2/06

Carnival- LEGEND 4/11

PCL-Regal Princess 4/15

Just looking at the OP's cruising history and I can see why they may have not appreciated the food. Things have changed over the number of years since their last cruise. And, even more, since the mid 90's and mid 2000's. We thought that overall the food on the Regal in December was some of the best that we have had in recent years.

Just looking at the OP's cruising history and I can see why they may have not appreciated the food. Things have changed over the number of years since their last cruise. And, even more, since the mid 90's and mid 2000's. We thought that overall the food on the Regal in December was some of the best that we have had in recent years.

I think your assessment may be correct. I've been cruising since 2002 and since then, I've had to lower my expectations regarding the food. Sadly.

Ok,I'll say it. The food at dinner wasn't that good. The souffle was tasty as was the lamb and veal however, the beef was horrible in the late traditional dinner. Tasted like it was turning bad. Not aged beef, but bad. The lobster was bland and tasteless. The pastas were mush. The crawfish Mac and cheese was so salty it was no t edible. I swear somebody dumped the salt shaker accidentally.I know food is subjective but I guess my family'expectations were too high. The buffet was a bit better however I think Princess misses the mark by trying to make it too diversified. Curried dishes, Chinese dishes, grape leaves, white fish at breakfast? The homestyle dishes of meatloaf and chili. Really? The same food as a school cafeteria? We sailed 4/5-4/12/15. Maybe they were cleaning house before switching itinerary? Whatever the reason... we miss the ship but not the food.

Don't hate the messenger. Just want you to be prepared.

Sorry to hear your dining experience was so bad.

Our Regal cruise featured excellent food and we really enjoyed it.

The HC was fantastic.

Hey everyone see's/tastes food differently, that's your view and that's OK.

So was the rest of the cruise bad too?

I was on the Regal the week before and the food in the MDR

was very. My last 2 cruises were on the Celebrity Eclipse and Royal's Allure. The food on the Regal was excellent in comparison to both these ships. Did you try the specialty restaurant or the buffet? Also very good.Sorry your meals weren't good.

Very what? :eek:

I think the food, in general, on Princess has declined from when I started cruising with them (2003). I think they need to make some plain good basic food and quit with the Indian, Chinese, German, etc. We were on the Crown in December and the food was not good at all. The food on Lido, which used to be like the Dining Room was terrible. Was not displayed well, most of it looked like it was just thrown in the casserole. Thank goodness for pizza and hamburgers. The best meal we had was in the Crown Grill. But I'm not going to pay every night for a good meal. When we were on the Regal crossing the food was very good, except for the pork. Every piece I tried was dry. And this could be particular to that ship. But all-in-all I've been very disappointed with the food on Princess.

Hi boatingmom. I was on your roll call. I totally agree. The food on the Ruby was what sold me to sail Princess but the buffet food failed to deliver..even as large as it was. I ate in MDR twice and found it not to my liking. Very dissappointing. I went to alfredos and my pizza was so wet and soggy in the middle...tasty..yes..but soggy. Pizza by the pool was ok. Burgers weren't too bad. Had a good tuna sandwich at international cafe. Sanatorium on the other had was fantastic..service in there top notch.

Nonetheless Regal is a gorgeous ship and we still had a great time. Wasn't the best cruise we ever had but still a great vacation.

We spoke about the food with a photographer. He said food is really based on who they bring onboard as a master chef and the culinary team. So one ship may have a different dining experience than another.

To me no other ship compares to the Ruby and the culinary staff for my Nov 2 sailing.

Edited by abisha

Sorry you did not enjoy the food on the Regal . We were not that impressed with the MDR

food but thought the buffet , Alfredo's and the International Cafe were great !

The best buffet area we have ever enjoyed . To each his own .

We had excellent food only 5 weeks ago on the regal at the buffet, (with a few exceptions) Alfredo's and Chops. However, we never dined in the main dining room

I agree, the beef dishes in the MDR have been consistently bad for the last few years, however. We hated the beef on our 2014 and 2011 and 2010 cruises.

The food used to be excellent in 2003

Hi boatingmom. I was on your roll call. I totally agree. The food on the Ruby was what sold me to sail Princess but the buffet food failed to deliver..even as large as it was. I ate in MDR twice and found it not to my liking. Very dissappointing. I went to alfredos and my pizza was so wet and soggy in the middle...tasty..yes..but soggy. Pizza by the pool was ok. Burgers weren't too bad. Had a good tuna sandwich at international cafe. Sanatorium on the other had was fantastic..service in there top notch.

Nonetheless Regal is a gorgeous ship and we still had a great time. Wasn't the best cruise we ever had but still a great vacation.

We spoke about the food with a photographer. He said food is really based on who they bring onboard as a master chef and the culinary team. So one ship may have a different dining experience than another.

To me no other ship compares to the Ruby and the culinary staff for my Nov 2 sailing.

On the Ruby Princess the Maître d' and Executive Chef are still the originals from when she was launched in 2008, having supervised the buildout of their departments from scratch. So it is possible other ships may suffer by comparison.

And I had to google to wrap my mind around your use of "sanitorium" as a description of the Sanctuary. Now I understand it was simply a typo and you meant to say "sanitarium" (yes, I know spelling doesn't count on the www, but talk about one letter changing the context 180 degrees...:rolleyes:)

Edited by fishywood

And I had to google to wrap my mind around your use of "sanitorium" as a description of the Sanctuary. Now I understand it was simply a typo and you meant to say "sanitarium" (yes, I know spelling doesn't count on the www, but talk about one letter changing the context 180 degrees...:rolleyes:)

I thought OP meant Sabatini's.

On the Ruby Princess the Maître d' and Executive Chef are still the originals from when she was launched in 2008, having supervised the buildout of their departments from scratch. So it is possible other ships may suffer by comparison.

We sailed the inaugural and many cruises after on the Ruby....

The MD Generoso has been gone from the Ruby for quite some time and the Executive Chef has changed many times since the inaugural.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

As others have repeatedly said on numerous threads food is probably the most subjective of topics. Having mentioned the requisite disclaimer- the food on the Regal in November was nothing short of excellent- with the HC being remarkably diverse, fresh and tasty. We also enjoyed Alfredo's, the IC and the MDR. I gained seven pounds - yikes! - despite taking the stairs almost exclusively and hitting the gym. I really think the head chef dictates the overall dining experience and that obviously can vary from ship//cruise, etc. We are looking forward to returning to the Regal this November, and will be interested to see how the food overall compared to last time!

The MD Generoso has been gone from the Ruby for quite some time and the Executive Chef has changed many times since the inaugural.

Which means the bios in the Patter for the pair that were onboard last November were fiction. Admittedly I should have know better than repeat them.

Which means the bios in the Patter for the pair that were onboard last November were fiction. Admittedly I should have know better than repeat them.

Please post the Patter so we can see, Thanks.

Generoso was in Asia for a couple of years on the Sun, I know he has not been on the Ruby since 2008.

We had Nicola Furlan for a few cruise on the Ruby as well.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I think the food, in general, on Princess has declined from when I started cruising with them (2003). I think they need to make some plain good basic food and quit with the Indian, Chinese, German, etc.

For millions of people, Indian, Chinese, and German is "plain basic food" . . .

I think the food, in general, on Princess has declined from when I started cruising with them (2003). I think they need to make some plain good basic food and quit with the Indian, Chinese, German, etc. We were on the Crown in December and the food was not good at all. The food on Lido, which used to be like the Dining Room was terrible. Was not displayed well, most of it looked like it was just thrown in the casserole. Thank goodness for pizza and hamburgers. The best meal we had was in the Crown Grill. But I'm not going to pay every night for a good meal. When we were on the Regal crossing the food was very good, except for the pork. Every piece I tried was dry. And this could be particular to that ship. But all-in-all I've been very disappointed with the food on Princess.

I'm not sure what you mean by "plain." If you mean American, not everyone is American and Americans (I'm one) shouldn't expect a cruise ship to cater to us in terms of food. There are Chinese, German, Indian, etc. paxs onboard also. I really hate it when I hear read comments like this.