Disappointed with Regal food

Boatingmom

But NOT for American, Canadian, European people who make up the vast majority of crusiers and whose money make cruises keep cruising.

No insult meant to anyone, but I am so sick of this multi multicultural thing. It is like we just discovered that Asian people exist and we must all eat Chow Mein in order to show how broadminded we are..............

No other culture does that. That is why French food is so good. They cook French Food, not German Food. And why Mexican food in Mexico is so good.

Not meaning to offend......but shaming people for wanting something that is homey and delicous to them.....................getting way old.

The New Caribbean menu....heavy on Pork. Rice. Red Beans. Black Beans. One night spiced Goat curry. Many people do not eat pork or goats for religious reasons. Some just because....eating a goat is sort of like eating a dog. Which is done in some nations.

We were on last month. The food in the MDR was awful. We had ATD and there was never a line. always empty tables. Food was over spiced. Dry. Not good.

Buffet.....very nice. Very varied. IC...always great. Alfredos..loved it. Prego Pizza at pool...loved it. Had a burger. very good. MDR food was not good. It did not taste good.

And food is so subjective. What is good to me..is bad to others. But honestly....NEVER a line at ATD. LOts of empty tables in MDR. That tells a story there.

Please define "American" food. Unless what you are talking about is pemmican and wild rice you are actually talking about food imported from somewhere else. Americans have been eating Chinese food since at least the middle of the 19th Century, most of what Americans would call southern food is heavily influenced by African, French and Spanish cooking. Most of what is common in the midwest is strongly influenced by German and Scandinavian cooking, in the northeast it is a whole mismash of Irish, Italian, Portuguese, Eastern European and more.

As for the comments about goat, I don't know why you would compare a goat to a dog. Please explain to me how eating goat is like eating dog. Have you ever tried it? Do you know how it tastes? Goat is a delicious meat, very mild and tender, there is an organic farm here in Rhode Island producing world class goat for eating.

As for "no other culture does that" that is either short-sighted or woefully uninformed. Have you traveled to Australia? Amazing Asian food. France? Alsace is filled with German food to make my Iowa grandmother weep with joy. Mexico? Full of immigrants, there is a massive Italian population there and some of the best Italian food I've had was in Mexico City.

Going back to the original post- I know the chefs will have probably changed since our cruise but on the maiden transatlantic in October I was somewhat disappointed in the food in the MDR. It wasn't bad, we always found something to eat, but it wasn't that good either. (Except for the amazing gazpacho which they made especially for us one night). Never ate dinner in the HC but it looked very good every time we went through there, lunch and breakfasts in The HC were excellent. I think the buffet on the regal is the best of any ship (and I work on cruise ships).

Terry

A few months ago, there was a poster here who wanted to bring

a cookbook onboard, and give it to the chef, so that they chef

would be able to prepare things that she liked...

Perhaps she meant to post on a private yacht thread :rolleyes:?

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

But NOT for American, Canadian, European people who make up the vast majority of crusiers and whose money make cruises keep cruising.

No insult meant to anyone, but I am so sick of this multi multicultural thing. It is like we just discovered that Asian people exist and we must all eat Chow Mein in order to show how broadminded we are..............

Why is it that, invariably, everything that comes after the phrase "no insult meant" is off-the-charts insulting?

Why is it that, invariably, everything that comes after the phrase "no insult meant" is off-the-charts insulting?

Because they know that what they are saying will insult people but aren't willing to admit it. Generally when I insult someone I know I am doing it and so do they, so no need for "No Insult Meant" because it is.

Actually the longer this thread goes on the funnier it seems to get. Food too bland, food too spicy, food unfamiliar, food too familiar, not enough of whatever, too much of whatever, food the worst we have ever had, food the best we have ever had. Personally, just glad that there is variety because it would be really boring if everyone had the same tastes. :cool:

Bon appetit. YMMV

Which has been posted 10 times over on every Regal/Royal thread that pops up. I think we got the point the first time. :rolleyes:

Actually the longer this thread goes on the funnier it seems to get. Food too bland, food too spicy, food unfamiliar, food too familiar, not enough of whatever, too much of whatever, food the worst we have ever had, food the best we have ever had. Personally, just glad that there is variety because it would be really boring if everyone had the same tastes. :cool:

Bon appetit. YMMV

So true, I take the chance to try something that I normally don't lke or wouldn't try, so what if I don't like it, I just ask for something else.

So true, I take the chance to try something that I normally don't lke or wouldn't try, so what if I don't like it, I just ask for something else.

That is one reason I like the HC and the IC. If I don't care for something, I just go get something else. In the MDR, asking for a replacement meal is somewhat embarrassing and creates more work for an already overworked serving staff.

That is one reason I like the HC and the IC. If I don't care for something, I just go get something else. In the MDR, asking for a replacement meal is somewhat embarrassing and creates more work for an already overworked serving staff.

Normally if I have ordered something and don't like it [which has only happened a couple of times, and once it was something I thought I'd love, just done differently] I'll then either go to the Buffet or order room service or grab some Pizza.

when I insult someone I know I am doing it and so do they, so no need for "No Insult Meant[ /B]" because it is.

I try to make sure my insults are received in the spirit I intend them, too. LOL.

Actually the longer this thread goes on the funnier it seems to get. ... Personally, just glad that there is variety because it would be really boring if everyone had the same tastes. :cool:

And far fewer goats! LOL.

The last 3 cruises I took I had a problem with the Fillet Mignon in the MDR.

I think it could be called 'Sea and Surf' ? I asked for a 'Blue steak' and what appeared to arrive was a slice of meat thinly cut that looked as though it has been reheated...To me it did not seem like true Fillet Mignon.The third piece that was delivered to me was a true small piece of the real thing.:o:)

Now my personal opinion of this is if Princess cannot afford to have this cut of meat any longer in the MDR and just serve it in the Speciality Pay Restaurants on board then please do not advertise it as such,give it its rightful name .

Oh dear I hope I have not opened a can of worms:o

Edited by kruisey

Bon appetit. YMMV

...but that's what the problem was...not enough variety. Mostly spiced up foods. Not enough variety for the various pallets.

I was on the same cruise as the OP and understood what was being said. I also had conversations with others on the ship, and many said the same thing. Repeat Princess cruisers had the same comment (comparing the food selection to whatever other Princess ship they sailed on in the past and saying that other ships had much better food selection.)

They also repeated items alot. The same items for lunch were seen out at dinner.

Also, there really wasn't much of a "theme" on the nights that had a theme. For example, on Italian night, there was very little Italian dishes placed out there. I walked around the entire buffet (it's huge on the Regal) and found such a small Italian selection. It was strange, because on the Ruby, the buffet on Italian night had far more choices.

I guess you had to be there to experience it. Maybe as someone else had posted, they were trying to use up whatever inventory they had before heading off on the TA voyage.

I also have to laugh at comments about food with total opposite reactions to the food. When one person said the food at the Crown grill was tasteless(another thread) I just had to wonder what they eat at home. I am a true foodie and cooking is one of my hobbies. My dad use to be a chef too in NYC. It is rare for me to not like a item on a Princess ship. But if that is so, I don't eat it. Pretty simple. Now try to remember the thousands of meals a cruise ship puts out each day. Compare that number to what a fine restaurant puts out. Is Princess perfect, NO. But for what they do, I think they do an incredible job.

I was on the Regal the week before and the food in the MDR

was very. My last 2 cruises were on the Celebrity Eclipse and Royal's Allure. The food on the Regal was excellent in comparison to both these ships. Did you try the specialty restaurant or the buffet? Also very good.Sorry your meals weren't good.

We were on the same cruise as you. We agree with your assessment. We thought the food was excellent, as good as we have had on our 18 cruises (16 with Princess).

In addition to fixed dining, we tried both the Crown Grill and the buffet, along with room service, hot dogs/burgers outdoors, the gelato, international cafe, and the pizza at Alfredos.

All excellent. Our only mild disappointment---the fondue specialty restaurant. Not that tasty. Service was excellent, the fondue not so good.

Is it unreasonable to expect that on a Canada/NE sailing we will not be served the Caribbean menu that everyone is complaining about?:confused:

MARAPRINCE

Again, I ask...does the menu change when the ship does a different itinerary? Or is the Caribbean menu fleet wide?

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Thank you for this post we sail on the Regal in the fall. I love seeing all the different foods from all over the world. However I wouldn't mind seeing some specific American dishes, and hope I do. Not turkey and meatloaf, but things from the south, the northeast, the northwest. Every area of the US has it's own unique dishes. With so many choices on these ships they could drop one or two Indian or Asian dishes and toss in a local US dish.

Either way I can tell you we have NEVER gone hungry on a cruise :). Can't wait to check out the Regal's buffet and see all the wonderful dishes, and even taste a few.

Texas style chili, North Carolina BBQ and Southern Fried Chicken are three dishes I recall being served on Princess. All were forgettable, at best. I am thinking something gets lost in the translation when an Italian chef teams with his British, Romanian, and Indian staff to prepare regional American specialties. I like the food on Princess, but I run from American regional dishes....the pate, pasta, and escargot are much better choices. They do grill a mean burger and brat however, if it's American you are after.

I found this during an internet search about the Home Style dishes. I can't tell when the interview was conducted.

Mr. Mazzone observed that today, because of television and the internet, people are “seeing what is happening, what food is being served” around the world. “We have to please these people.”

“Princess, I would say, in the past few years has been quite conservative. But now we have changed to a more contemporary style of cooking. We had to step up and provide this kind of innovation.”

At the same time, Princess also included some “home style” dishes on the menus. “The company decided to place those dishes [on the menu] for those people who are not looking for sophisticated, elaborate dishes but something they are familiar with, that they are used to eating. There are 200 to 300 of these dishes. [They change] every day. They are quite well-accepted by the passengers.”

http://www.beyondships2.com/emerald-princess-dining-guide.html

Yes have these multi nation exotic dishes on the menu.Also leave some Traditional meals also for we old fowges(My Word) that like Ye Oldie Trad. North American dishes on MDR menu..:D

Edited by kruisey