Drinks Packages

vinob

Hi Folks

Hoping those who have cruised with Princess before may be able to help.

Does anyone know if princess ever do specials on their full drinks packages once you're onboard. £900 for 2 of us on 12 nt cruise seems rather a lot of money, however princess are saying you only need to have 5 drinks pppd to break even.

Any information would be appreicated. Many thanks Viv.

Hi Folks

Hoping those who have cruised with Princess before may be able to help.

Does anyone know if princess ever do specials on their full drinks packages once you're onboard. £900 for 2 of us on 12 nt cruise seems rather a lot of money, however princess are saying you only need to have 5 drinks pppd to break even.

Any information would be appreicated. Many thanks Viv.

Have only seen the first day free (embarkation day).

No others that I know of.

Its a ton of money, for sure would have to justify. :eek:

There is a great thread (drink evaluator) that a poster took the time to break down the package.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Have only seen the first day free (embarkation day).

No others that I know of.

Its a ton of money, for sure would have to justify. :eek:

There is a great thread (drink evaluator) that a poster took the time to break down the package.

Where??? :confused: :eek:

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebec city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

32nd cruise - Crown Princess, 20 - 27 Dec. 2014, 7 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT.

On the Star Princess this past March they had BOGO (buy one get one) happy hour each day from 3p to 4p in the Wheelhouse Bar. They also had the same BOGO happy hour late night in Skywalker's. Don't know if this is fleet wide, but I have heard here on CC that some other ships have done this. Have never seen specials on the All Inclusive Beverage Package.

Edited by sknight

Here is the latest pricing although its nine months old. I did the drink package on my last cruise and it was worth it. A few drinks during the afternoon by the pool, drink before dinner, drink during dinner, after dinner cordial, and one or two drinks in the evening. Also water and coffees.

Here is the latest pricing although its nine months old. I did the drink package on my last cruise and it was worth it. A few drinks during the afternoon by the pool, drink before dinner, drink during dinner, after dinner cordial, and one or two drinks in the evening. Also water and coffees.

I'd love to have the package on my next cruise but I simply can't justify a cost of more than $900 for a bar bill for just me (more than $1,800 for the both of us). It's nice that some folks can afford that but it really doesn't work for me at all. The convenience and freedom would be wonderful but the finances just don't work for us.

I'd love to have the package on my next cruise but I simply can't justify a cost of more than $900 for a bar bill for just me (more than $1,800 for the both of us). It's nice that some folks can afford that but it really doesn't work for me at all. The convenience and freedom would be wonderful but the finances just don't work for us.

Maybe it's not like this on every Princess ship, but when we were on the Grand last fall we had to sign for everything. No convenience or freedom. We also didn't find it was worth the cost. YMMV of course.

No specials that I've heard of.

Hogwash that you break even with five drinks since alcoholic beverages range from $5.50-10, with most in the $7-8 range.

But it also includes bottled water, soda and lattes or does it not.

Yes it does, along with milkshakes at the ice cream bar on deck. Essentially all non-alcoholic beverages, along with virtually all alcoholic beverages up to $10. Had it on last four sailings, and for us it works out great. We came across very few items that were over $10 - a few scotches or whiskeys and that's about it.

Martinis on our last sailing were $8.95 at the Martini Bar, so 5 of those and a bottle of water, and you've broken even. Or 4, plus 2 bottles of water and a shake, or some combination. We found the sweet spot at 4 drinks, plus several bottles of water and one can of coke....we drink a lot of bottled water - yes, I know ships water is great, and I drink it at meals, the bottles are at bars or in cabin....helps with swelling.

It varies from person to person depending on drinking habits, length of cruise, itinerary and so on.....for some people it works, for others it doesn't. To each their own.

Edited by reedprincess

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, its certainly given us something to think about.

Kind regards

Viv.

Just in case your not aware, both passengers don't have to purchase the drinks package, unlike other cruise lines

You can purchase in pounds before you go, this price depends on when you booked to what exchange rate you get and this is fixed.

I booked Feb and I get 1.66 dollar to the £ which means the drinks package is £33 per day

Or you can gift each passenger $500 OBC to purchase aboard. If the same as me you'll get $100 per £60 if you look at exchange rate today you would get approx $90 per £60

Hope this helps, btw no offers onboard last Aug...

I think a lot of people think the drink package applies to only alcoholic drinks. We use it for the good coffees, soda, and bottled water. And a glass of wine with supper. It's not just sitting at the bar all day. Everyone has to figure out what they drink all day.

Yes, it does. However, the water out of the tap is pretty pure (purer than a lot of bottled water) and you can get a soda card, a soda & more card and/or a coffee card for a LOT less.

Plus, you can buy sodas and bottled water less expensively prior to embarkation or in port and take it on board with you. I'm not sure if there are restrictions on quantity, but I've read that some people will carry on up to case of soda or water.

I think a lot of people think the drink package applies to only alcoholic drinks. We use it for the good coffees, soda, and bottled water. And a glass of wine with supper. It's not just sitting at the bar all day. Everyone has to figure out what they drink all day.

Hi Jules

If you take the package and you want wine with dinner is it just a house wine or are there a number of wines to choose from, just concerned that because its by the glass it might just be house wine. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Viv

Those of you who have prebought the package: can that be done line? I am not seeing it anywhere when I go into my booking, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

If you prebuy, is the package notation printed on the card? Or is it still an added sticker?

Hi Jules

If you take the package and you want wine with dinner is it just a house wine or are there a number of wines to choose from, just concerned that because its by the glass it might just be house wine. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Viv

IT is normally any glass of wine under $10. The dinning room selection may vary from the different bars, but my husband would find the best value by the glass and then take it with him for dinner. Actually, one of waiters we had would go get him another glass. That's service.

I do NOT drink alcohol, so I will buy the coffee card while my husband will buy the all-inclusive package. For him, a pre-dinner drink of scotch(depending on the pour) pays for half of the daily charge:) If they pour generously, he will have 2, if small, he would have 3.

Anyway, do the math and it may work out that only one should purchase the all-inclusive package. With us, it is a simple decision.

Have a great day:

Norine & Gary

Tahiti Oct 28, 2015 for 10 nights

Those of you who have prebought the package: can that be done line? I am not seeing it anywhere when I go into my booking, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

If you prebuy, is the package notation printed on the card? Or is it still an added sticker?

It's an added sticker to your cruise card. We don't buy ours until we are actually on the ship. No Problem! Just be sure to buy it the first day you board before ordering a drink. :)

LuLu