what type of purse do you carry while in port?

mimxmom

For the caribbean, I just used a small black Overland Equipment Pacer cross-body. But for the Mediterranean, I bought this Travelon anti-theft cross-body in black:

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/anti-theft-signature-ns-shoulder-bag/276986?productid=10311809

I like that it has locking zippered pockets so that I can keep important items secure and separate from things I access often. I also like that it has an expandable water bottle. It also has a slash-proof body and straps and an RFID blocking pocket, and while I don't think those are necessary I figure that it can't hurt to have them.

It kind of looks like a diaper bag to me. *ducks and runs*

LOL! I can see that from the online photo. I get the resemblance with the side pocket bottle holders. IRL...the size of the bag and the front flap over the organizer give it more of a messenger bag look.

• 2 weeks later...

If we are in the Carib and just getting off for an hour or two for lunch, I just carry a wristlet, or a small beige crocheted cross body that is just big enough to fit my phone and ship card/credit card/cash.

If we are in a port where we are doing more touring/sightseeing and going to be of the ship for the better part of the day, I carry a larger, leather cross body bag so I can be hands-free. I have a few, but my fave is one I bought in Florence a few years ago. It zips closed, and also has a flap over the top so would be more difficult for a pickpocket to get into. It's not huge, but it's big enough to carry a small wallet and phone, plus a few extras like a street map, lip balm, small water bottle, and still fit a small souvenir or two. I usually wear neutral, mix and match clothing in black/white/beige, and this bag is a pretty turquoise/teal color so it adds a nice pop of color.

I like lesportsac worn across the body for something small to fit the things you mentioned.

https://www.lesportsac.com/ProductImages//efa68f2d-6263-463a-aece-0b52565239a4/images/prev_3244_5922.jpg

Kipling is another brand I like with similar styles. Really durable,'good quality.

I use a LeSportsac bag, worn cross-body as well.

Someday I will look for those online sales, but they have to be on Amazon.com. Otherwise I probably will not get free shipping.

Vera Bradley has free shipping today (and many other days) as well as several retiring patterns that are reduced quite a bit. I don't find the prices on Amazon better, and the selection is more narrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this bag for an outdoor event where it was going to be raining... and LOVE it for everyday use. I am planning on using it as my "excursion bag/ purse". (I have it in this pattern but in light gray). Surprisingly roomy!!

http://eddiebauer.scene7.com/is/image/EddieBauer/0232313_032C1?$mainimage$&wid=300&hei=370

I bought this bag for an outdoor event where it was going to be raining... and LOVE it for everyday use. I am planning on using it as my "excursion bag/ purse". (I have it in this pattern but in light gray). Surprisingly roomy!!

http://eddiebauer.scene7.com/is/image/EddieBauer/0232313_032C1?$mainimage$&wid=300&hei=370

Le Sportsac makes that bag called the Kasey. It has come in hundreds of designs. I have had 4 different ones over the years. It really is surprisingly roomy! These have always been some of my favorite travel bags.

Here are a few examples of some colors. (Click)

Edited by LrgPizza

I carry an Overland Equipment brand Donner Shoulder Bag:

http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/donner-shoulder-bag/280031?productid=10353981

I really like the look of this bag. It seems that it would fit a small umbrella and/or a crushable raincoat if the need arose. It's called a shoulder bag; does the strap extend enough to wear it cross body?

I really like the look of this bag. It seems that it would fit a small umbrella and/or a crushable raincoat if the need arose. It's called a shoulder bag; does the strap extend enough to wear it cross body?

It's a very roomy bag. Definitely could accommodate the crushable raincoat. One of the side pockets could hold the umbrella easily too.

The strap is adjustable and extends very far. Here's a good picture of my bag in action...this is a recent (April 29) picture in Malaga, Spain (I'm posing like the manikins behind me):

DSC01943_zpsdfpvgvy4.jpg

I have water bottles in both sides of the bag. The strap could be even longer.

• 2 months later...

FYI for those interested... Amazon is having a sale this weekend for 20% off already reduced merchandise using code LABORDAY20.

They have the awesome LeSportsac crossbody bags for super cheap, and these qualify for the promo. These come in about 50 different patterns and are small and light, but hold a TON of stuff for their size. These are some of my favorite purses to use for travel.

lesportsac-foil-snake-crossbody-kasey-product-4-12408965-953420225_large_flex.jpeg

Love my LeSportSac. I have it in black & once in awhile I can "borrow" my DGD LeSportSac that is a black background with different colored sunglasses. So cute, wish I'd bought it for mysekf!

I just ordered the Tumi Voyageur capri cross body from Amazon. I plan to use if for my cruise to Alaska.

Update: I used the Tumi on my Alaska tour and I loved it! Lots of pockets, good size but holds a lot and good material that won't get ruined if it gets wet.

I also used it I a 1 week business trip to Panama and plan to continue taking it on business trips where I am not checking in a bag therefore can only take limited items. Will take to TA next April. Worth the money.

This is the bag I am using:

Tumi Voyageur Capri Crossbody <a href="/Tumi/b/ref=dp_apparel_byline_ety?_encoding=UTF8&node=2602788011">Tumi</a> Tumi Voyageur Capri Crossbody

Tumi

Sorry still don't know how to get an image to show up here

Edited by bothluv2cruise

I use a cross body bag, Baggalini, just big enough to carry what I need, DH carries a small backpack with a water for each of us and a couple factory sealed snacks for him, he is diabetic, needs to have that with him. In the backpack I put a small foldable sack for any shopping we might do , makes it easier to carry those things, got my little sack at IKEA.

Cori