Majesty Emergency Drydock

I just had an email that my cruise on the Majesty, that was supposed to leave in three days, has been cancelled. There is some problem that must be corrected in drydock.

They are refunding and giving 100% future cruise certificate. The rep I called at C&A confirmed this cancellation, but had no more details.

Wow, sorry to hear that, what a disappointment.

I read that there was some oil leak problem that they tried to fix. Maybe they found it could not be fixed without a dry dock.

Very unfortunate. Great to hear about the full refund and 100% FCC though.

It does amaze me at how inconsistent that Royal is in dealing with these situations.

Last year when the Serenade was delayed getting into NO due to the fog and her cruise ended up being cancelled those people who had already arrived at port and spent time in hotels received a refund and a 50% FCC.

Hoping that Royal has learned from past experiences on how to treat guests and this is the start of better compensation when something like this happens.

It does amaze me at how inconsistent that Royal is in dealing with these situations.

Last year when the Serenade was delayed getting into NO due to the fog and her cruise ended up being cancelled those people who had already arrived at port and spent time in hotels received a refund and a 50% FCC.

Hoping that Royal has learned from past experiences on how to treat guests and this is the start of better compensation when something like this happens.

I can see how they would be treated differently 1 is an act of god(fog), and out of Royal's control and technically they owe you squat! This current issue is a mechanical issue which is fully in there control, and also depending on the actual problem is threatening to ship and humans onboard as well as your issue!

I can see how they would be treated differently 1 is an act of god(fog), and out of Royal's control and technically they owe you squat! This current issue is a mechanical issue which is fully in there control, and also depending on the actual problem is threatening to ship and humans onboard as well as your issue!

I thought the NO problem was electrical caused by a water leak. The fog cancellation was in Tampa

Edited by John&LaLa

I thought the NO problem was electrical caused by a water leak. The fog cancellation was in Tampa

Fog is an act of god=Royal doesn't have to pay their pax anything for compensationn but 1 cruise was reimbursed! Whatever is exactly ailing her Majesty is mechanical, and is in Royal full control to fix! Hence reimbursement and compensation, and I am sure the % of next sailing will vary with different weeks affected. I believe that is how it was handled with Grandeur fire!

I will say that I agree with the other person that when something has happened reimbursement/OBC has been all over the chart for at least the last year which seems to show a lack of company structure in these times of challenges! Royal has faced a bunch in the last year!

Edited by Justmekaren918

I had made a mistake in my origional post and referred to fog in NO. There was no fog in NO it was a mechanical issue that John pointed out.

That being said I did go back and re-read that thread and those passengers were actually given a 100% FCC.

It was just the way the situation was handled. In this case they have advance notice and appear at least for now to be being proactive in dealing with this. In past cases whether it was last minute or something that they knew about in advance the way that they have dealt with issues regarding ships has been all over the board in terms of compensation offered.

We just got off Majesty's 4 night cruise yesterday (Friday).

Yes, there was an oil leak problem which apparently happened in CoCoCay therefore we could not dock at Key West on our last day (due to the strict environmental conditions surrounding the water at Key West as well as Royal Caribbean's 'strict environmental commitment')

They told us the ship was not leaking oil but they couldn't take a chance.

This announcement was made by the captain at 11:00pm on the night before we were scheduled to go there. Unfortunately, a lot of people were already in bed at that point and woke up without realizing we were not docking. We actually had breakfast in the dining room with a couple who still didn't realize it.

We were given a $75 per cabin refund (which I felt was fair, because they do have the option to change the itinerary at any time), plus the port fees of $13.44pp.

It stinks that they have to take her back to dry dock and people have to miss their cruise...

I would expect nothing less than a full refund when the cruise line cancels the cruise. Unfortunately many folks are out of pocket for hotel and travel costs, lost wages from work, lost flight fees, and may not be able to arrange work/family schedules to enjoy another cruise.

For many of us, it is an inconvenience and we'd just have a good time on the next cruise. Some plan and save for years to take a cruise and I am sure they are really disappointed.

We recently sailed a ship with known mechanical issues, but luckily passenger safety was never an issue. We arrived late to every port and therefore had all the port time shortened, and were late arriving back to PC. (By the way - no compensation)

M

I would expect nothing less than a full refund when the cruise line cancels the cruise. Unfortunately many folks are out of pocket for hotel and travel costs, lost wages from work, lost flight fees, and may not be able to arrange work/family schedules to enjoy another cruise.

For many of us, it is an inconvenience and we'd just have a good time on the next cruise. Some plan and save for years to take a cruise and I am sure they are really disappointed.

We recently sailed a ship with known mechanical issues, but luckily passenger safety was never an issue. We arrived late to every port and therefore had all the port time shortened, and were late arriving back to PC. (By the way - no compensation)

M

Thus the need for travel insurance. We've cruised for 14 years and have had to use it 3 times. We received 11k back in expenses over the years.

Thus the need for travel insurance. We've cruised for 14 years and have had to use it 3 times. We received 11k back in expenses over the years.

Agreed. But many folks, especially those on shorter less inexpensive cruises do not get insurance. Many assume there will be no issues and forget that insurance may cover lots more than the cost of the cruise.

M

We just got off Majesty's 4 night cruise yesterday (Friday).

Yes, there was an oil leak problem which apparently happened in CoCoCay therefore we could not dock at Key West on our last day (due to the strict environmental conditions surrounding the water at Key West as well as Royal Caribbean's 'strict environmental commitment')

They told us the ship was not leaking oil but they couldn't take a chance.

This announcement was made by the captain at 11:00pm on the night before we were scheduled to go there. Unfortunately, a lot of people were already in bed at that point and woke up without realizing we were not docking. We actually had breakfast in the dining room with a couple who still didn't realize it.

We were given a $75 per cabin refund (which I felt was fair, because they do have the option to change the itinerary at any time), plus the port fees of $13.44pp.

It stinks that they have to take her back to dry dock and people have to miss their cruise...

Bummer that you had to miss Key West. You have a really good attitude about it--I imagine there were some unhappy campers on board. Did you just go real slow back to Miami?

OP, sorry that your trip is cancelled. It's nice that they are giving you that compensation, but what a drag. I hope you are able to take an alternate trip to make up for it.

Edited by bluegirlum

Bummer that you had to miss Key West. You have a really good attitude about it--I imagine there were some unhappy campers on board. Did you just go real slow back to Miami?

Yes, bummer indeed. You just have to make the best of what life presents you.

We joked at how maybe there was some reason we weren't supposed to be there...

Real slow is an understatement! I felt like we were going in circles from my view while laying out on the deck. When I checked the travel path on the TV later in the evening - yes we did make a huge circle, went north a little then back to Miami.

Since I had the time off from work and couldn't change that, I decided to go ahead and use the flights to Fort Lauderdale. I booked my timeshare on the beach for four days. I was surprised to find availability at only two days ahead! I had not planned on renting a car but after looking at the round trip costs of a taxi from the airport to the resort (and back), I decided this morning to rent one. It is only going to be $5 more to have a car for the four days than it would be for the two trips in a taxi.

It is still not a cruise, but at least I will have a 2 bedroom condo on the beach in Florida for four days at no additional cost. I really can't beat that!

And to top that, my nephew and his wife left on the Liberty today for a 5 night cruise. I will be able to pick them up from the ship and take them to the airport on Thursday. At least that will save them the taxi fare.

Since I had the time off from work and couldn't change that, I decided to go ahead and use the flights to Fort Lauderdale. I booked my timeshare on the beach for four days. I was surprised to find availability at only two days ahead! I had not planned on renting a car but after looking at the round trip costs of a taxi from the airport to the resort (and back), I decided this morning to rent one. It is only going to be $5 more to have a car for the four days than it would be for the two trips in a taxi.

It is still not a cruise, but at least I will have a 2 bedroom condo on the beach in Florida for four days at no additional cost. I really can't beat that!

And to top that, my nephew and his wife left on the Liberty today for a 5 night cruise. I will be able to pick them up from the ship and take them to the airport on Thursday. At least that will save them the taxi fare.

Good for you! That sounds like it will still be a nice vacation. I'm glad it worked out! :D:):D

Agree - very good alternate plan. I wish you lots of sunny weather and a very relaxing time!

Glad that worked out. Enjoy!!

I am confused . doe anyone know how long this drydock will last and if it will replace the Jan'16 one ?

I am booked for a holiday cruise just prior to the one scheduled for January 2016 .

I doubt that it would replace the one in 2016. That one is planned and they would not necessarily have everything that they need available on short notice.

Most likely this will be as quick as possible to make the necessary repair and get her back sailing.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I'm not surprised to hear this. I just got off the Majesty on the 24th, and yes, there was some kind of oil leak. We had to skip Key West, which I was super bummed about (it's my favorite place). I received $75 credit, plus a 10% future cruise certificate (to be honest, I will probably not use it) due to an issue with my toilet.

I will say, we had a great cruise despite having to miss a port. The day at sea was a little crazy because people were upset and there didn't seem to be enough room for everyone, but we managed to have a nice day. The majesty is a great ship.

I am confused . doe anyone know how long this drydock will last and if it will replace the Jan'16 one ?

I am booked for a holiday cruise just prior to the one scheduled for January 2016 .

Majesty had a scheduled drydock in Jan 2015. I don't think there is one scheduled for Jan 2016 as well.

I would guess this dry dock will last as long as is necessary to fix the issues and get the ship back into regular service. The next itinerary would leave on Friday so hopefully between Monday - Thursday they can repair whatever the issue is.