Solstice to Alaska...Shore Excursions $$$$ Ouch!

JennJohnNYC

We will be on the Solstice to Alaska in September. Leaving from Seattle. This is our first trip to Alaska and are super excited, however, just browsing through the Celebrity shore excursions, I am in sticker shock over the cost of some of the excursions!

We would love to get the most out of our Alaska experience, however doing so without breaking the bank.

We will probably take at least a couple of the ships excursions during our 11 days, however, does anyone have other suggestions as to what to do on our own which might save us a bit of money?

Thank you!

We will be on the Solstice to Alaska in September. Leaving from Seattle. This is our first trip to Alaska and are super excited, however, just browsing through the Celebrity shore excursions, I am in sticker shock over the cost of some of the excursions!

We would love to get the most out of our Alaska experience, however doing so without breaking the bank.

We will probably take at least a couple of the ships excursions during our 11 days, however, does anyone have other suggestions as to what to do on our own which might save us a bit of money?

Thank you!

Alaska's always been an expensive place! Suggest you post on your sailing's Roll Call where you'll see what the others are doing, also maybe join up with fellow cruisers for excursions. The Alaska board is another place you want to check out, you'll get loads of suggestions and ideas on what to do, etc.

I would wait and book when you get to each port. Most of the excursions can be booked right at the pier and many you can do on your own. Alaska has many rainy days and that is another good reason to wait until you arrive. You would not want to spend a huge amount on a plane ride or boat trip if it was heavy rain. I am going on my 4th Alaska cruise in July and flew to South East Alaska for work for many years. Happy to answer any questions. Go to trip advisor and see what tours get good reviews. You can book online if you want to be sure your tour will be available on certain dates.

Which itinerary are you on? We are booked on the Sept 11, 11 nights from Seattle, disembarking in Vancouver. If that's the one you're on you should come over to our roll call!!

I have booked two excursions, both with private vendors...still expensive (to me) but much cheaper than the ships excursions. We are one of four ships in Skagway so I've already booked with Chilkoot for that one and have also booked a whale watching in ISP with Glacier Winds. They only do two tours a day and only 6 passengers per tour so I wanted to be sure of getting on. As others have said, join your roll call and get lots of advice and ideas from your fellow cruisers!! Alaska forum is def full of good info also! It's our first time to Alaska also but I have a feeling it won't be our last!

Cathy

First way to save money is to not book through Celebirty, do your home work and you will find many tours that can be booked online or at the pier. We did this trip last year and really enjoyed all the stops. If you can afford the all day train ride in Skagway that was great.The bus ride to Mendenhal glacier was also worth it in Juneau. You have enough time, use it to find the best trips.

J.

I borrowed a travel guide (Frommer's EasyGuide to Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call) from our local library on my iPad, and I'm finding some alternative options we can do on our own in each port. For example, there's a tramway in Juneau that's right by the pier; you can get a day pass for $33 per person (see http://mountrobertstramway.com/) -- take it to the top to check out the visitor center, movie, trails, and raptor center. We'll probably do the one of the less expensive Mendenhall Glacier tours through the ship and then do the tram on our if we have time (and if the weather cooperates). In Ketchikan, it looks like there are a variety of options within walking distance of the pier, including a funicular (a few dollars) and a free shuttle that does a loop around the downtown area. I'm not sure which ports you'll be visiting on your cruise (we're doing the 7-day Seattle roundtrip), but a good travel guide should be able to give you some ideas if you're looking for a few low-cost options you can do on your own.

In any case, good luck planning...and have fun, whatever you end up doing!

~ Shay

Thank you!

What excursions are pricey? If you are looking at things like helicopter, bear watching, fishing etc. etc. yes they are pricey. Other things seem very reasonable considering that Alaska is out in the middle of no where with a short season for people to make their tourist living.

The one that wife and I did that was great was at Sawyer Glacier. We exited the ship at the glacier and returned to Juneau on Catmaran's. We were able to go to the second Sawyer Glacier which you will not see on the ship. Lots of wildlife including whales, etc. I understand early trips ( May) this may not be available but I would do it again in a minute. Just an opinion but the bus ride to Mendenhall was anti climatic after doing the catamaran trip I mentioned.

Edited by dkjretired

We've gone twice. We have never taken a Celebrity excursion and some of our best days on vacation EVER have been the private tours we arranged ourselves (Trip Advisor, etc. etc.) and with our roll call.

The Alaska board here on Cruise Critic is wonderful. Go there!!!

You can catch the local bus to the Mendenhal Glacier, very cheap. then walk around the area as there is lots to see. We even saw a well known bear close up. They told us she hangs around there all the time.

If you do decide to splurge on one excursion and maybe even book through the ship....do the helicopter to the glacier dog sled camp/ride. Well worth the $'s for both the scenic view and riding on a real dog sled on real snow.