Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

The nail in the coffin to end formal nights is slowly being hammered by RCI with the intro of Dynamic Dining. Within a year, 6 ships (more than 1/4 of the fleet) will no longer have "formal nights". And on the rest, no amount of nostalgia will bring them back to what it was like in the past. It won't be as sudden as the elimination of the midnight buffet, but the days of the formal night are numbered.:cool:

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

And what % of those that refuse to comply with the recommendations as they are would comply with more stringent requirements. I suspect the answer is a big fat zero.

The nail in the coffin to end formal nights is slowly being hammered by RCI with the intro of Dynamic Dining. Within a year, 6 ships (more than 1/4 of the fleet) will no longer have "formal nights". And on the rest, no amount of nostalgia will bring them back to what it was like in the past. It won't be as sudden as the elimination of the midnight buffet, but the days of the formal night are numbered.:cool:

My understanding of Dynamic Dining is that the main dining room gets divided into 3 restaurants, two which are smart/casual and the third (The Grand) is formal every night. Perhaps I have got it wrong.

I love the idea of one spectacular formal night but then I don't object to having 3 formal nights on my upcoming 12 night cruise. I just wish they would enforce it on the door. It makes a mockery of having a formal night in the MDR if 50-70% are wearing jeans :eek: Having said that I think tuxedos and ball gowns are going a bit too far.

My understanding of Dynamic Dining is that the main dining room gets divided into 3 restaurants, two which are smart/casual and the third (The Grand) is formal every night. Perhaps I have got it wrong.

Grande may be a formal venue (initially enforced more than formal night on traditional ships), but the other 75%+ of the ship's guests are not formal. Maybe that's why Grande is so popular - lots of folks still longing for a formal night.

Edited by Biker19

And what % of those that refuse to comply with the recommendations as they are would comply with more stringent requirements. I suspect the answer is a big fat zero.

Who said anything about more stringent? I think a better effort by the cruise line will cause more people to self select

Hate to break it to you, but Royal can't "bring formal night back again" because they've never stopped having it. ;)

What they do now is a photo op completely bereft of past traditions and special events. If the cruise line makes an effort to make it a special night more people may want to participate. As it stands now I feel it is formal night in name and not really spirit.

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

How does the midnight buffet add to formal night? Allow you to not eat for dinner? Being an outside event, I don't expect anyone would want to wear their formal outside for a long time, let alone the idea of eating a lot of food with your fingers that can be messy with formal clothing. On top of that, I always thought that the midnight buffet was a massive waste of food. Most of it goes uneaten, and thrown away.

Most of the cruises we go on, Captain's night is formal night- which also has a champange toast. What more would you want from them? That part of the evening is up to the Captain- as you can see the various styles of how much they are comfortable with the crowds.

I don't see how having ice scuptures or white gloves will entice more people to dress up. For that matter, the way you get people to dress up is do it yourself.

Not sure how all of that would make someone want to dress up more than they do now.

I'm fine with the way it is- my wife and I dress up quite nicely, and really are concerned about us. We find it formal.

What they do now is a photo op completely bereft of past traditions and special events. If the cruise line makes an effort to make it a special night more people may want to participate. As it stands now I feel it is formal night in name and not really spirit.

Or fewer people may want to participate.

Just something to throw out for discussion:

Do the airlines have any role in the decline of many people not dressing up as much for formal nights?

I mean with there bag fees and weight restrictions, bringing along a tux/suit could generate more cost for many.

Thoughts?

Because it would be just one half-hearted event, no matter what the cruise line did.

The first formal night already has a special Captain's Welcome Aboard reception on sailings I've been on.

"White Glove Service" is something that people talk about, but doesn't have a concrete definition. In general, it's something thrown out by those who just want to complain that the service they get doesn't measure up to this mythical standard.

Midnight Buffet is not something that I ever associated with formal night, and I doubt you'd have a large percentage of people dressing up formally and staying that way until midnight.

I like the ice carvings, though. I'd like to see that kind of thing brought back, but still don't think it would convince those passengers who don't want to dress up to do so.

I really don't think the drop in popularity of formal nights has that much to do with the things you mention. But I do think it would be cool to see a Gala Midnight Buffet again. :)

Do the airlines have any role in the decline of many people not dressing up as much for formal nights?

I mean with there bag fees and weight restrictions, bringing along a tux/suit could generate more cost for many.

Thoughts?

I would agree that is a valid issue. It's a good point. Whenever someone mentions it on here they get shouted down with a bunch of "You signed a crrrrruuuuuise contract and knew what it required of you!!!!! ASSIMILATE!!!! YOU WILL PAY THE BAGGAGE FEE OR EAT IN YOUR BATHROOM!"

Also does tuxedo rental even exist on the ship anymore? I did not see or hear about it on my last cruise. (but I wasn't looking for it either)

Yes. Though I haven't seen it pushed as hard as in the past. And I would also agree with anyone that stated it is not necessarily inexpensive.

I'm not lobbying for more stringent standards. I only believe that if they make formal night more unique and differentiated from a regular MDR night that more people may feel it is worth participating. Self-selection.

Maybe the cruise line sees this and is thinking "They want an ice sculpture, more cakes, the Captain doing cartwheels, AND we lose a photo opportunity? Notgonnahappen.com" But I'm thinking now more like if they won't bother, I won't bother either. And they may interpret that as "He doesn't want this, so why bother at all?"

Just one man's thoughts.

How does the midnight buffet add to formal night? Allow you to not eat for dinner? Being an outside event, I don't expect anyone would want to wear their formal outside for a long time, let alone the idea of eating a lot of food with your fingers that can be messy with formal clothing. On top of that, I always thought that the midnight buffet was a massive waste of food. Most of it goes uneaten, and thrown away.

They used to have midnight buffets every night, most of them being in the main dining room. And one of those would be the "Grand Gala" midnight buffet with elaborate decorations of ice carvings, fruit and vegetable carvings, chocolate sculptures, etc. It was not poolside finger foods.

They used to have midnight buffets every night, most of them being in the main dining room. And one of those would be the "Grand Gala" midnight buffet with elaborate decorations of ice carvings, fruit and vegetable carvings, chocolate sculptures, etc. It was not poolside finger foods.

Oh.

I can see how that ended- it does not sound appealing.

We used to do the late seating (now more go with the flow seating), and being done and stuffed at 10pm meant there was no way that a midnight buffet had any appeal what so ever. So if that's the way it was- we missed it for a good reason.

Nice to see ice scupltures. Kinda the food sculptures, but at some point it's a waste of food.

Still, for some great midnight event where you have special sculptures and stuff- I'm not sure how that would make me want to dress formally.

Also does tuxedo rental even exist on the ship anymore? I did not see or hear about it on my last cruise. (but I wasn't looking for it either)

It was heavily advertised on my most recent cruise (January) including having several mannequins dressed up to display the available options

Oh.

I can see how that ended- it does not sound appealing.

We used to do the late seating (now more go with the flow seating), and being done and stuffed at 10pm meant there was no way that a midnight buffet had any appeal what so ever. So if that's the way it was- we missed it for a good reason.

Nice to see ice scupltures. Kinda the food sculptures, but at some point it's a waste of food.

Still, for some great midnight event where you have special sculptures and stuff- I'm not sure how that would make me want to dress formally.

Yeah. It was not really tied to formal nights in the past, and I don't think it would encourage people to want to dress up. In fact, they would open it around 11:30 for taking pictures only, and some of those who were not big late-night types would show up in their pajamas to take pictures of the display.

And they may interpret that as "He doesn't want this, so why bother at all?"

That's pretty much it. RCI and the other cruise lines use market research (from CLIA)and that says only 20% are looking for a formal experience and a part of that 20% books upscale lines to get what they want

Edited by setsail

My husband and I love dressing up for formal nights. He loves strutting his stuff in a tux. He says it makes him feel like James Bond;), but he's proof that a 65-year old guy can still look good. I love wearing a long dress, fancy jewelry, doing my hair, etc.

However, we no longer participate in formal nights because of airline luggage allowances. Since we tend to do longer vacations (3-5 weeks), our luggage space has to be used for things we will use all the time, not just on one special night. We don't go to the MDR on formal nights because we still think that the "suggested attire" is something that should be followed. Plus, we really enjoy dinner in the Windjammer now and then!

I'd be very sorry to see yet another tradition disappear, but I think it's inevitable. People my age and older probably remember dressing up for all kinds of special events. That was just one part of the "specialness". That world has gone, and won't return in my lifetime!

Beth

Who said anything about more stringent? I think a better effort by the cruise line will cause more people to self select

Cruisers are 'self selecting' now -- they are selecting less formal attire and sending that message loud and clear -- all you have to do is look around a ship.

Thoughts?

I would agree that is a valid issue. It's a good point. Whenever someone mentions it on here they get shouted down with a bunch of "You signed a crrrrruuuuuise contract and knew what it required of you!!!!! ASSIMILATE!!!! YOU WILL PAY THE BAGGAGE FEE OR EAT IN YOUR BATHROOM!"

LMaxwell, your posts are generally quite intelligent and well-reasoned, but on occasion you come out with one of these and have me shaking my head and going "huh"?

I honestly think the whole baggage fees argument is much more of a convenient excuse than a really valid argument. If the cruise line insisted on tuxedos - or even suits - for formal nights, than it might have more validity. The fact is, they don't. A jacket & tie, along with dress slacks - is perfectly acceptable for formal night. The jacket is easily worn on the plane, the tie weighs essentially nothing, and the dress slacks weigh less & take less room (and are cooler & more comfortable) than the jeans that the "vocal minority" here are constantly insisting they prefer.