Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

Seems to be a popular subject. There is a similar debate going on another forum.

that's because it's a big issue Davy.

We want our formal nights, they don't but think they're being forced into it.

It's a nice event..........don't take it away because there are people that don't.

its no more effort to put on a suit shirt and tie as there is a normal shirt and tie.

just saying for example .......

It's a nice event..........don't take it away because there are people that don't.

its no more effort to put on a suit shirt and tie as there is a normal shirt and tie.

What sort of specialty events, differentiation, or "cruise" type events would you like to see added or incorporated by the company to make formal night stand out?

Would it make people feel better if it was called Elegant Night or Big Night Out, or Dress to the 9's night instead of "formal"?

I see a parallel to Viking Crown Lounges going away. The one side says well it was under utilized. It needs to generate revenue or be repurposed or abandoned. Well, I happen to think they were hugely underused. If an event or activity isn't being held a venue of course it will be slow. the effect isn't the symptom though. Schedule more events and watch revenue climb.

People like to discuss whether someone is willing to dress up or not. Let's forget that for a second. What could or should the cruise line incorporate to make it a real event? What do people that like formal night now think would take it to another level where more might want to participate.

I like hearing the different viewpoints, I think some get derailed and lose the forest for the trees.

Plonk is the word of the day.

This continues to be one of the reasons I go mostly on NCL now. I have grown to really like the much more laid back atmosphere. I DON'T want to get dressed up and don't have to on NCL. A pair of slacks and nice shirt, I am good. :D

Yeah as I age I am getting more laid back. I appreciate that there are choices. But to a casual cruiser like you is there anything a cruise line could do make a formal night different and intriguing enough for you to want to have one?

For me it's gotten to a point of why do I have to dress uncomfortable when this is the exact same shtick as casual night? Either make it stand out or quit pretending. Ya know?

But to a casual cruiser like you is there anything a cruise line could do make a formal night different and intriguing enough for you to want to have one?

For me it's gotten to a point of why do I have to dress uncomfortable when this is the exact same shtick as casual night? Either make it stand out or quit pretending. Ya know?

For me the whole cruise experience is so contrived and phony that I'd be as likely to participate in face painting as a formal night. Why not have everyone dress in Zoot suits? It'd be a riot.

If they wanted to do something formal, why not a premium restaurant with a dress code that runs nightly, you can go and participate on whatever evening you like.

People like to discuss whether someone is willing to dress up or not. Let's forget that for a second. What could or should the cruise line incorporate to make it a real event? What do people that like formal night now think would take it to another level where more might want to participate.

I like hearing the different viewpoints, I think some get derailed and lose the forest for the trees.

I think the idea of offering drinks - maybe a bottle of house wine per couple - for those who participate & dress to a certain minimum - I'd suggest dress shirt/slacks with jacket/tie minimum - would be a great idea that would cost the cruise line very little, given the markup & true cost for the wine. Seat those who participate on one floor, those who don't on a different floor.

Problem is - I think pretty much the same " vocal minority" would still refuse to dress according to the minimum but demand the free wine, because of course, they paid the same for their cruise so should get the same benefits - but without having to conform to the stated dress standards, of course!

I get what the OP is saying - make it so special that people will WANT to dress in true formal wear - but I can't think of anything that would make it special enough that I'd be willing to dress that way, especially since I don't dress that way for anything else.

I kind of like another poster's idea of a reservation-only pay venue with fancy plates and silverware, tablecloths and chair covers, special menu, free wine, etc., but I still think the cruise line would have to deal with, "whaddya mean, I'm not dressed up enough?!!" people being what they are.

I doubt there's enough interest among the cruising public to make something like this worthwhile. Just about all mainstream cruiselines today try to be all things to all people.

I get what the OP is saying - make it so special that people will WANT to dress in true formal wear - but I can't think of anything that would make it special enough that I'd be willing to dress that way, especially since I don't dress that way for anything else.

I kind of like another poster's idea of a reservation-only pay venue with fancy plates and silverware, tablecloths and chair covers, special menu, free wine, etc., but I still think the cruise line would have to deal with, "whaddya mean, I'm not dressed up enough?!!" people being what they are.

I doubt there's enough interest among the cruising public to make something like this worthwhile. Just about all mainstream cruiselines today try to be all things to all people.

On our Disney cruise there were two premium restaurants that were an additional fee that had specific costuming requirements to attend. If you didn't meet the dress code they wouldn't let you in. People seemed to like it well enough. We went once and it was pretty good but I don't think I'd bother with it again.

This continues to be one of the reasons I go mostly on NCL now. I have grown to really like the much more laid back atmosphere. I DON'T want to get dressed up and don't have to on NCL. A pair of slacks and nice shirt, I am good. :D
I don't wish this to sound aggressive or nasty . If it does, please excuse me

Why would "having" to put on chinos and a dressy shirt at a minimum (or not going to the MDR for 2 nights ) lead you to NCL ? That's not to disparage Norwegian but it is such a little deal .

I heard the same rational for people going Aqua class on Celebrity so that they didn't have to dress up . Amusingly on formal nights just about everyone in the Aqua class restaurant Blu , was still dressed up .

I think the idea of offering drinks - maybe a bottle of house wine per couple - for those who participate & dress to a certain minimum - I'd suggest dress shirt/slacks with jacket/tie minimum - would be a great idea that would cost the cruise line very little, given the markup & true cost for the wine. Seat those who participate on one floor, those who don't on a different floor.

Problem is - I think pretty much the same " vocal minority" would still refuse to dress according to the minimum but demand the free wine, because of course, they paid the same for their cruise so should get the same benefits - but without having to conform to the stated dress standards, of course!

You're probably right about the wine. But you did have another good idea. Why not make formal nights only for early/late traditional dining? Let the MDT dinners dress as they will. Generally speaking, it seems the traditional diners are the ones who like formal nights. It would be made known at booking that choosing MTD meant you'd be in a casual environment.

Let's have a formal event. A pay to play event, perhaps $50 a person. That should appeal to RCCL. It could be held in a separate venue with special menu. There would be a defined and enforced dress code. There would be a cocktail hour where you can order the drink of your choice. Hors d' oeuvres would be served by a circulating wait staff and the event would be attended by several of the ship's senior officers.

Please don't give RCI any ideas - their implementation of Grande is just fine and should satisfy the crowd that wants a formal night (or feel special).

You're probably right about the wine. But you did have another good idea. Why not make formal nights only for early/late traditional dining? Let the MDT dinners dress as they will. Generally speaking, it seems the traditional diners are the ones who like formal nights. It would be made known at booking that choosing MTD meant you'd be in a casual environment.

If you're correct about those preferring early/late traditional dining vs. MTD being the same as those in favor of formal nights/attire, that certainly has merit. Not sure whether or not that's a valid assumption though.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

What I liked was pre drink cocktail (free) with canapes, meet and greet with Captain and introduce staff, photo op with Captain, then dinner with the table staff doing the baked alaska cake song/dance while we all swing our napkins in the air and sing along.

Now that could be called a gala night, formal night or even royal night.

There's more to it than that. Think of a cost/benefit analysis. Those that like formal nights find it very enjoyable and to them the costs are low. Those who do not like formal nights think there are few if any benefits and the costs are high. What you see as 'no more effort', I see as far too much effort to be worth it. What some see as a most enjoyable evening, I see as a real pain.

I don't want to take away your formal nights. If you like dressing up, then do so. But, I wouldn't think of telling someone else that they have to dress up to increase my dining pleasure. I'm a big boy and I can tolerate seeing someone in blue jeans on formal night. If won't affect my enjoyment one bit.

But, I wouldn't think of telling someone else that they have to dress up to increase my dining pleasure. I'm a big boy and I can tolerate seeing someone in blue jeans on formal night. It won't affect my enjoyment one bit.

An oft-made argument, but one that's simply untrue. The dress of those around you is part of the ambiance of the dinner. And ambiance does affect one's enjoyment, whether you admit it or not. If that wasn't the case, than one of your cost/benefit analyses could quickly determine that Royal (and every other cruise line & fine dining restaurant in the world) are wasting good money on furnishings & decor in their dining rooms. Might as well just paint them all grey using the same paint from the engine room & broom closets, and light them with the cheapest industrial lighting you can get. No tablecloths either - a cheap laminate table and plastic chairs will be much cheaper & easier to keep clean.

An oft-made argument, but one that's simply untrue. The dress of those around you is part of the ambiance of the dinner. And ambiance does affect one's enjoyment, whether you admit it or not. If that wasn't the case, than one of your cost/benefit analyses could quickly determine that Royal (and every other cruise line & fine dining restaurant in the world) are wasting good money on furnishings & decor in their dining rooms. Might as well just paint them all grey using the same paint from the engine room & broom closets, and light them with the cheapest industrial lighting you can get. No tablecloths either - a cheap laminate table and plastic chairs will be much cheaper & easier to keep clean.

Well that should be the end of the discussion then. You know better than anyone how they feel. If they disagree with you they are wrong or just not admitting it.

I also am a big boy and it will not bother me if you are dressed in a tuxedo or if you come in naked. Either way you will provide something for me to chuckle at.

I can't think of anything Royal could do to make "formal night" in the MDR special enough to warrant dressing up. It's still the same restaurant, same rushed wait staff, same banquet-style prepared food. Personally, I am more inclined to dress for a nice dinner at a Specialty Restaurant...where the service is attentive and the food is cooked to order.

I think formal night in the MDR is on old holdover from the past that no longer makes sense. It will go the way of Midnight buffets. Dynamic Dining is a good step in that direction.

Edited by dplusd

I can't think of anything Royal could do to make "formal night" in the MDR special enough to warrant dressing up. It's still the same restaurant, same rushed wait staff, same banquet-style prepared food. Personally, I am more inclined to dress for a nice dinner at a Specialty Restaurant...where the service is attentive and the food is cooked to order.

I think formal night in the MDR is on old holdover from the past that no longer makes sense. It will go the way of Midnight buffets. Dynamic Dining is a good step in that direction.

I agree 100%

Well said and so true.

Burt

I would be much more inclined to dress up for a nice dinner out at a restaurant in my home town than on a cruise ship.

Don't give'm any ideas. ;)

Absolutely spot on. My wife and I spent the extra money and had dinner at Giovanni's Table - it was excellent, everything the MDR would like to be but is not. Personalized service, great recommendations, great specialty cocktails, cooked-to-order food. It's worth putting in the effort to dress appropriately when the results warrant it.

That being said, the majority of folks on formal night were very nicely dressed for the MDR. We chose not to use the MDR, but it is evident that there are many people who still enjoy it.

If you're correct about those preferring early/late traditional dining vs. MTD being the same as those in favor of formal nights/attire, that certainly has merit. Not sure whether or not that's a valid assumption though.

I have no hard data, it's just my opinion based upon what I read here on cruise critic. The people who love traditional dining just seem to be the ones who like formal nights. It seems to be so 'hand in glove'.

The big problem with that idea is that there are a significant number of cruisers who would insist that the ambiance of formal nights is ruined unless everyone participates. I have a problem with that because it is the equivalent of someone saying my incremental pleasure of seeing you dressed up is more important than your displeasure at dressing up. I don't believe I have the right to make someone do something just because it makes me feel better.

Bottom line: I think formal nights are going away. I understand that some find them enjoyable and I understand why those who like them will fight to keep them. It's even a bit sad. Still it's going to happen.

Since the MDR is two or three floors, why not have one floor formal and another floor casual. I don't love getting dressed up, I actually have had no need to buy a formal outfit. And I do not like buffet style dining. I do enjoy a dinner served to me, but I don't necessarily feel I need to buy a formal outfit to go on one cruise every few years.

The big problem with that idea is that there are a significant number of cruisers who would insist that the ambiance of formal nights is ruined unless everyone participates. I have a problem with that because it is the equivalent of someone saying my incremental pleasure of seeing you dressed up is more important than your displeasure at dressing up. I don't believe I have the right to make someone do something just because it makes me feel better./quote]

Well said, but it is a hopeless battle to make some posters understand this.