Using a TA - Questions

Nezmo

Please excuse my ignorance.

I am currently booked direct with Princess. I have just done some digging around and note that I can get a rather good OBC deal by going via a TA (and a small discount on the booking).

So, my options are to cancel the direct booking and then book with the TA and hope the cabin I had originally booked shows up for rebooking.

If I book via a TA, will my booking show up on the Princess Website where I can fill out all the check-in info, etc?

I've not used a TA before so I'm a bit leery.

Thanks

Better to tell the TA you want to transfer the booking. that way you keep the cabin.

A booking thru a TA shows on the Princess website and you can fill in all the pre-cruise documentation. You will also be able to book excursions when they are released.

I am currently booked direct with Princess. I have just done some digging around and note that I can get a rather good OBC deal by going via a TA (and a small discount on the booking).

So, my options are to cancel the direct booking and then book with the TA and hope the cabin I had originally booked shows up for rebooking.

If I book via a TA, will my booking show up on the Princess Website where I can fill out all the check-in info, etc?

Thanks

No need to cancel your booking. You can simply transfer your booking to a TA. And yes, you will have access to you Cruise Personalizer.

Wow, that almost seems too good to be true. What does the TA have to gain by that? I have already paid the deposit obviously (substantial and much more than the TA requires). That's cool and can stay as is. I guess the TA gets commission even though I went to Princess direct initially?

Edited by Nezmo

Yes the Travel Agent will receive a commission on your booking and will be responsible for servicing it. Of course you can always still call Princess Direct.

Remember all rates have the commission built in no matter whether you use the Travel Agent or not.

Ann

TA's are the route to go if you can book a cruise with no guidance from Princess which is easy with all the info you have at your fingertips. Some TA's offer better deals than others. So do your shopping around before booking. And make sure you are comparing apples to apples with all taxes and port charges included. No TA cancellation or "adjustment" fees are a plus too.

When you are looking at prices from various Travel Agents, make sure they know you already have a booking with Princess as you will keep that rate and then the TA can discount from there. This is especially true if the price on the cruise went up. This is one reason why you don't want to cancel and rebook.

Make sure when checking with TA that they don't charge for changes or cancellations. Some TAs will give you a good discount, some will give that discount as OBC and some will not discount at all. I go with the agents who give you a discount up front. One benefit of using a TA is that they often have group space on your sailing and that may include OBC.

Good luck!

Thank you all - very helpful.

I just saved a bunch on the cost of the booking and got some OBC. They gave me the option of a discount on the booking with a small OBC or a substantial OBC. No cancellation fees. Only difference is final payment due about 10 days earlier than Princess requires which is neither here nor there. Their deposit was tiny compared to Princess too but irrelevant as I've already paid that obviously.

Edited by Nezmo

Thank you all - very helpful.

I just saved a bunch on the cost of the booking and got some OBC. They gave me the option of a discount on the booking with a small OBC or a substantial OBC. No cancellation fees. Only difference is final payment due about 10 days earlier than Princess requires which is neither here nor there. Their deposit was tiny compared to Princess too but irrelevant as I've already paid that obviously.

Good job! I would have taken the discount on the booking also!

Just remember that now that you are with a travel agent all changes will have to go through the TA. For the most part if you were to call Princess direct about your booking they would tell you that you have to deal with your new TA.

Just remember that now that you are with a travel agent all changes will have to go through the TA. For the most part if you were to call Princess direct about your booking they would tell you that you have to deal with your new TA.
Thank you. Yes the TA did explain that to me.

Good job! I would have taken the discount on the booking also!
There was a slight difference in the total credit favoring the OBC option but I'd rather take the lower upfront cost. The difference is marginal in the grand scheme.

Two comments -

First, another thing the travel agent gets (besides the commission) is another cruise toward the productivity number. The more cruises an agency sells, the better the relationship (financial and otherwise) with the cruise line.

Second, your travel agent probably wants payment seven to 10 days in front of the final payment date so there is plenty of margin for error should something go wrong such as a bad internet connection, a problem at the website, a balky computer, a declined credit card, or a busy office. Who needs the stress of last minute problems that could cause the loss of a reservation?

Maddle

Thanks

Yes you can access your booking and fill out the required info.

I would not use a TA that had their own extra fees for say...changing cabins/canceling etc.

The only thing you cannot do on the Personalizer if your booking is with a TA is see how much you have paid already for the cruise and how much is yet to be paid.
Yep, I see that but no biggie. I emailed Princess the transfer request and they processed it within a few hours. The TA has already confirmed the new balance and deposit I've paid already.

If this all goes well and you decide to cruise again, call the same agent along with a couple more to comparison shop. Customer loyalty will often bring additional discounts from cruise line AND the agency.

If this all goes well and you decide to cruise again, call the same agent along with a couple more to comparison shop. Customer loyalty will often bring additional discounts from cruise line AND the agency.
Great, thanks.

I will say it's when, not if I cruise again :).

Edited by Nezmo

...Only difference is final payment due about 10 days earlier than Princess requires which is neither here nor there...

That is not uncommon so the TA can have time to get the payment to Princess by the final date. Just remember that if you have a question regarding or want to make any changes to your booking (other than entering personalizer info online), you now have to go through your TA, not Princess.

Glad you found a good deal!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Since this is a TA related question I thought I would just ask here:

I have a cruise coming up ( :D ) that I am going to try booking using a TA... Out of curiosity if you pay with a credit card, does the Travel Agency run it under their name and pay Princess themselves, or do they give your credit card information to Princess to run the charge?

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Edited by cruisehappy001

I have a cruise coming up ( :D ) that I am going to try booking using a TA... Out of curiosity if you pay with a credit card, does the Travel Agency run it under their name and pay Princess themselves, or do they give your credit card information to Princess to run the charge?

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Charge should be from cruise line for obvious reasons. No reputable TA will charge it to the agency.

Charge should be from cruise line for obvious reasons. No reputable TA will charge it to the agency.

Thanks, have never done this with a TA before and I was curious as I use a Travel Rewards card that gives Double Bonus for travel and if the charge says Princess there is no question.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Happy Cruising!

Mark

I've used a couple of TAs over the years for cruises, and credit card charges always billed directly from the cruise lines.

Good question, there are some that bill that way and its unacceptable. :(

As stated it should be a direct charge to Princess. ;)