The cost of cruising

blackshirt

There has been much discussion about prices and whether prices are going up, etc. I recently ran across the invoice of our first cruise on the Carnival Festival in 1981. It was a 7 night Carribbean cruise out of Miami and we had I guess what would be considered an ocean view because it had a port hole but definitely no balcony. Our cruise fare back in 1981 was $1790 or $895/person. I'm not sure what that is in today's dollars but I'm sure it is at least double. We paid only slightly more than that for a 7 night cruise on Oasis last year in a balcony. Maybe prices aren't as bad as we think. I also now realize why I didn't return to cruising until 2008.

I think cruise prices have gone down over the years. Although I do really wish singles only had to pay 150% instead of the 200%. I am however thrilled that RCL is recognizing their solo cruises and adding solo cabins to some ships....although they are still priced a bit high. Having said that, it is obviously worth it to me as I keep booking and going on cruises!

Think about the QUALITY of that first cruise...how very special it was. Think about the dining room service....and the place-settings...the multiple courses and the actual "plating" of the food....so special! Think about the drink prices then compared to now....

Today, you aren't paying THAT much more, but you are getting considerably less.

Have to agree with CB the quality you received back then was well worth the price. The all chocolate Midnight Buffet,the Pool Parties up top where they actually had food, the in-expensive drinks and the excellent dining room service. Long gone they are so you are paying more for less sadly.

Royal does not want us that remember this to remind others that cruising use to be a great value. Cruising Is still fun but you can get the same or greater value for your dollars/euros other places,but they hope you do not know this.

RIP the days of Royal Caribbean past. At least I got to experience you at your best.

Since cruising no longer meets your needs - have fun on your new adventures. As for me - still love cruising! In fact I love it even more than I use to as can be evidenced by my cruise history.

Who said cruising no longer meets their needs? I hope that wasn't aimed at me.

Who said cruising no longer meets their needs? I hope that wasn't aimed at me.

Not you. Link99 said they will no longer be cruising as they have found better options. Or at least that is how I interrupted what was written.

Edited by LisaAtlCruiser

I think cruise prices have gone down over the years. Although I do really wish singles only had to pay 150% instead of the 200%. I am however thrilled that RCL is recognizing their solo cruises and adding solo cabins to some ships....although they are still priced a bit high. Having said that, it is obviously worth it to me as I keep booking and going on cruises!

I've obviously missed something - what or where do you learn about solo cruises? As for the few studio cabins I find on a dummy booking that they are more than an interior which has more room so don't see the point of booking one. I, too, would like to see a lower surcharge for solo. Some people post about the great rates they have received but I've never had such luck. Are they with another cruise line?

I've obviously missed something - what or where do you learn about solo cruises? As for the few studio cabins I find on a dummy booking that they are more than an interior which has more room so don't see the point of booking one. I, too, would like to see a lower surcharge for solo. Some people post about the great rates they have received but I've never had such luck. Are they with another cruise line?

I meant to say "cruisers" not "cruises".

Low prices on solo cruising is pretty much the luck of the draw...I've got a great price on my Alaska cruise that lasted less than 24 hours...then nearly doubled...last minute pricing can be good sometimes too..

I agree with you on the studio cabins...for a smaller cabin, single points & reduced C&A discount it isn't worth it to me...I'd rather pay a little more to get the room & double points...

Not you. Link99 said they will no longer be cruising as they have found better options. Or at least that is how I interrupted what was written.

Yea, you mis-interpreted what Link99 said, RIP the old days, not good bye cruising.

At least that's how I interpreted it.:D

Have to agree with CB the quality you received back then was well worth the price. The all chocolate Midnight Buffet,the Pool Parties up top where they actually had food, the in-expensive drinks and the excellent dining room service. Long gone they are so you are paying more for less sadly.

Royal does not want us that remember this to remind others that cruising use to be a great value. Cruising Is still fun but you can get the same or greater value for your dollars/euros other places,but they hope you do not know this.

RIP the days of Royal Caribbean past. At least I got to experience you at your best.

Our very first cruise on Navigator still had the Midnight Buffet madness and a Pool Party with loads of food. We even had the Pool Party with way too much food on Her Majesty up until a few years ago. I don't really miss it. There are many more options for grabbing a snack in the evening on the ships and they have a wider variety of things to choose from than ever before.

When we first cruised -- it was described to me as a 'food orgy -- where you can eat 24 hours a day if you want to' -- well, you still can if you want to, but it isn't pushed in your face to do it, and that is just fine with me.

The entertainment and activities on board are way more than on the ships of the past, it is why Her Majesty is being retired, because she doesn't represent the image that her larger sisters have -- so sadly her time has come to go.

I personally don't want to be sitting on a lounge chair with a blanket over my legs -- I want things to do, and then DO THEM!

Is cruising different than years ago, YES and no less enjoyable.

I checked the price of our first cruise on Carnival's Festivale (1986/87 New Year's). We actually paid MORE for that cruise than our 2014 New Year's Cruise on the Carnival Liberty. In addition, our Festivale room was an interior room, while our room on the Liberty was an aft-wrap balcony. Today's ships have so much more than the older ships. While there probably is a decline in certain aspects of a cruise, it's important to remember that today's ships also offer so much more than the older ships. Think of it..... stabilizers, larger rooms, balconies, more pools, hot tubs, TV's and fridges in most every room, huge atriums, and probably a lot of things we can't see (environmental quality measures, safety equipment, etc.). And from what I read, you RCL fans have even more new and fun things to do and see on your new ships. I loved my first cruise on the Festivale. I loved my cruise on the Liberty, and all the other Carnival and Disney ships I've been on. They've changed over time, but I think the cruise industry has done a pretty good job of giving us more for less. That is one of the reasons so many people cruise today. Hopefully, we can all look at the big picture when looking at the cutbacks.

Think about the QUALITY of that first cruise...how very special it was. Think about the dining room service....and the place-settings...the multiple courses and the actual "plating" of the food....so special! Think about the drink prices then compared to now....

Today, you aren't paying THAT much more, but you are getting considerably less.

To be honest I could care less about that stuff, if the price were paying today is comparable to to what it was 30 years ago but we we dont have place settings etc, i'm good with that. Ships today have so much more to offer, plus its the Caribbean, do we really need all t hat fancy smancy stuff? I dont I guess, but to each his or her own....:o

the reason I didn't cruise 'back then' is for two reasons.

1, cruising was more fancy smancy back then. when I vacation I don't want to dress up and it seemed there was a lot of formal nights.

2, the prices were out of whack for an average person. paying in 1980 pretty much what you pay today says it all.

we spent our vacation dollars on resorts in the Caribbean and while you didn't get to go to multiple countries you sure could explore one place in depth.

now, on the other hand, I love cruising and don't find the costs to be out of range. either way, we could have afforded to sail back then but I like to spend my money on what I think feels right and at the time, cruising did not.

I checked the price of our first cruise on Carnival's Festivale (1986/87 New Year's). We actually paid MORE for that cruise than our 2014 New Year's Cruise on the Carnival Liberty. In addition, our Festivale room was an interior room, while our room on the Liberty was an aft-wrap balcony. Today's ships have so much more than the older ships. While there probably is a decline in certain aspects of a cruise, it's important to remember that today's ships also offer so much more than the older ships. Think of it..... stabilizers, larger rooms, balconies, more pools, hot tubs, TV's and fridges in most every room, huge atriums, and probably a lot of things we can't see (environmental quality measures, safety equipment, etc.). And from what I read, you RCL fans have even more new and fun things to do and see on your new ships. I loved my first cruise on the Festivale. I loved my cruise on the Liberty, and all the other Carnival and Disney ships I've been on. They've changed over time, but I think the cruise industry has done a pretty good job of giving us more for less. That is one of the reasons so many people cruise today. Hopefully, we can all look at the big picture when looking at the cutbacks.

Thanks for the great positive message! I agree, things have changed a bit but hey, you are on a cruise, have fun for Pete's sake :)

We took our first cruise almost 30 years ago. While the service was "white glove" the elegance of the dining room wasn't up to what it is today. The entertainment on the ships today is better. The cabins are FAR BETTER today. The pools are better. The stabilizers are fabulous. The cost is still a good value. I think after sailing on one of the ships today, if they had a replica (including the same type service) of the ship from 30 years ago, we would ALL prefer today's ship. We still have the photos from our first cruise and I'll take the improvements. I do wish they would stop finding ways for me to pay for things like soda, bottled water, alcohol and I still miss the chocolates on the pillows, but we we still love cruising.

Since cruising no longer meets your needs - have fun on your new adventures. As for me - still love cruising! In fact I love it even more than I use to as can be evidenced by my cruise history.

Your cruise history shows that you are a rookie and never got to enjoy the RCL, or any other line for that matter, of the past. I'm glad you love to cruise but do not belittle those who remember what true cruising was like . :):)

There has been much discussion about prices and whether prices are going up, etc. I recently ran across the invoice of our first cruise on the Carnival Festival in 1981. It was a 7 night Carribbean cruise out of Miami and we had I guess what would be considered an ocean view because it had a port hole but definitely no balcony. Our cruise fare back in 1981 was $1790 or $895/person. I'm not sure what that is in today's dollars but I'm sure it is at least double. We paid only slightly more than that for a 7 night cruise on Oasis last year in a balcony. Maybe prices aren't as bad as we think. I also now realize why I didn't return to cruising until 2008.

To the OP: Was airfare included in the price of your cruise in 1981?

Today's ships are much bigger than the ones sailing in the 1980's. According to Wikipedia, Carnival Festivale had a capacity of 1,432 passengers (Crew 579) whereas Grandeur of the Seas (smaller ship in fleet) has a capacity of 2,466 passengers (Crew 760). That's a thousand more passengers paying to sail on one ship with one captain, one cruise director, etc., so the cost of their salaries are lower per passenger. The extra crew needed like waitstaff and stateroom attendants pay comes from gratuities for the most part it seems.

Now take Oasis of the Seas with 5,400 passengers at double occupancy and 6,296 maximum capacity. Still one captain, one cruise director, etc.

So it's hard to compare today's prices with the 1980's. As others have posted, you get less now than what you did back then. Also, you are sailing with a lot more people.

Edited to add a little history of the Carnival Festivale. Although the ship, originally built as an ocean liner in 1961, was 20 years old, Carnival acquired the ship and spent $30 million to convert her into a cruise ship in 1978. So they still needed to pay for their investment by 1981, and would explain the higher cost. Just as Oasis costs much more than Freedom of the Seas, for example.

Edited by TM38Rob
History

We still love cruising and find its still an an awesome vacation. You can do as little and relaxing as you want or be as active and involved as you want. Your room , entertainment , and food is right there for you to pick from. Yep drink prices are more now but when we live in Vegas $10-12 drinks wasn't uncommon at all.

Today's ships are much bigger than the ones sailing in the 1980's. According to Wikipedia, Carnival Festivale had a capacity of 1,432 passengers (Crew 579) whereas Grandeur of the Seas (smaller ship in fleet) has a capacity of 2,466 passengers (Crew 760). That's a thousand more passengers paying to sail on one ship with one captain, one cruise director, etc., so the cost of their salaries are lower per passenger. The extra crew needed like waitstaff and stateroom attendants pay comes from gratuities for the most part it seems.

Now take Oasis of the Seas with 5,400 passengers at double occupancy and 6,296 maximum capacity. Still one captain, one cruise director, etc.

So it's hard to compare today's prices with the 1980's. As others have posted, you get less now than what you did back then. Also, you are sailing with a lot more people.

Edited to add a little history of the Carnival Festivale. Although the ship, originally built as an ocean liner in 1961, was 20 years old, Carnival acquired the ship and spent $30 million to convert her into a cruise ship in 1978. So they still needed to pay for their investment by 1981, and would explain the higher cost. Just as Oasis costs much more than Freedom of the Seas, for example.

Pretty sure Royal doesn't pay off their ships like you do with a car. They just become an asset and they leverage it forever to finance expansion. They might even sell them to a subsidiary and lease them back. I think that is the business model for airlines

The cruise experience is different today...better in some areas and less in some areas. There are still cruise lines that give you more service, less bells and whistles. Some people prefer all the bells and whistles. Some prefer the white glove service. It's out there and you have choices. We've cruised during both times. I hate having to pay $12-14 dollars for a drink, but I also hate sitting on the deck with virtually nothing to do, so I'll take today's bigger ships with more entertainment. You can still go for a smaller ship with more personalized service. I don't see it as a problem that you have choices. Cruising, under any circumstances isn't what some people choose.

There are many changes that have occurred in the industry over the years: size of ships, # of passengers, things to do onboard, type of services provided, additional dining venues and others can probably add to this list.

What I don't believe you can say is: "The extra crew needed like waitstaff and stateroom attendants pay comes from gratuities for the most part it seems." I don't believe that to be true.