DIAMONDS and PLATINUMS ONLY - NO GUESTS - OFFICIAL

Elaine515

We just went to a past guest party on the Legend with only Platinums and Diamonds. The major issue is that it was held in the Firebird Lounge- for a more intimate experience- which is way too small even for the smaller number of attendees. Why cram chairs in-between the bench rows? If you have to do that to accommodate the guests, keep the program in the theater where at least the wait staff can reach us and we all have our own table. The new menu was awful. Black bean and rice patties were offered that were really terrible. The shrimp on the pastry puff was ok. The sushi was good, but complicated to serve with the wasabi, soy and ginger. As most always, drinks were gone quickly and we sat and waited and waited for anyone to show up to our area. We finally went to the bar to get our own drink. The people that sat on the sides of the lounge could see nothing of the film. Not a good experience for us this time.

How many people were there?

The exact same way that carnival is making sure that only the actual VIFP is allowed in is the exact process they could use to make sure it's only the invitee plus their guest and not everyone they are traveling with. As stated many times, I'm not asking for them to bend the rules. They can do what they wish. I simply believe it's the wrong way to conduct business for this situation.

As for your cost savings comparison, this is something I'm very familiar with. Actually a professional as my career is in marketing, advertising and branding. Generating an ROI. Do you know how many companies would KILL to be able to have a captive audience, for an hour, while actually using their product for $12 per person. Like someone else said, they wouldn't look at it like that. They would use actual hard costs and I'm guessing it's less than $5 per person.

And if you feel that strongly you can take your vacation dollars to someone who has the rules that you like. This is Carnival's house and they are fully allowed to make the rules in their house immaterial of what a customer thinks they should do. For every customer who thinks they should change a rule there is another customer who likes the rules the way they are.

If a company wants to have a captive audience all they have to do is purchase a cruise ship and sail the Seven Seas like Carnival does. Then they can do whatever they want and will most likely piss off half of their customers as well.

Edited by Out to sea!

I don't understand why some people jump right to...."Go to another cruise line if you don't like what they are doing now."

CCL does listen to its customers. Sometimes they make changes that people have asked for or complained about. Some people like the changes others don't. CCL can do what it wants. But since this is a message board, people can voice their opinions.

Some people crack me up!!:cool:

Sorry I have to say this, all it is a 45 min (or so) open bar. That is it. If you don't drink, it would not even be worth going too. I would not even call it a party.

I would not call it a party either. I would call it a reception given by Carnival in appreciation for the loyalty of their Platinum and Diamond guests.

We don't drink alcohol, but thoroughly enjoy going. Call it immature or whatever (we are all here to have fun, right?), but I really enjoy the film showing all the Carnival ships and yes I am one of those who enjoy standing and applauding the ships I have cruised on.

I am very happy with the new rule, that it is strictly for Platinum and Diamond guests. I do however, think Carnival should do something more for the Gold members.

I don't understand why some people jump right to...."Go to another cruise line if you don't like what they are doing now."

CCL does listen to its customers. Sometimes they make changes that people have asked for or complained about. Some people like the changes others don't. CCL can do what it wants. But since this is a message board, people can voice their opinions.

I agree and you just answered your own question. ;)

BTW, yes, Carnival does make changes from opinions and comments made, not from these boards but from comments made on board the ship or from comment cards and surveys. Anyone who thinks comments made on this board affect the operations on Carnival, IMO, is living in a fantasy world.

Edited by Out to sea!

Carnival has people who peruse these boards to know what their customers are saying and thinking.

Carnival has people who peruse these boards to know what their customers are saying and thinking.

I think that is true of both Rccl and NCL as well. Not a bad job if they are getting paid for that.......

The exact same way that carnival is making sure that only the actual VIFP is allowed in is the exact process they could use to make sure it's only the invitee plus their guest and not everyone they are traveling with. As stated many times, I'm not asking for them to bend the rules. They can do what they wish. I simply believe it's the wrong way to conduct business for this situation.

As for your cost savings comparison, this is something I'm very familiar with. Actually a professional as my career is in marketing, advertising and branding. Generating an ROI. Do you know how many companies would KILL to be able to have a captive audience, for an hour, while actually using their product for $12 per person. Like someone else said, they wouldn't look at it like that. They would use actual hard costs and I'm guessing it's less than $5 per person.

So, on the Legend last week, it was reported there were 400+ attendees, so if everyone could bring one more person with them, that would have put the total at over 800! I think what has happened is there are so many platinums now, they had to draw the line somewhere as the party was getting too crowded to enjoy.

Pat

So, on the Legend last week, it was reported there were 400+ attendees, so if everyone could bring one more person with them, that would have put the total at over 800! I think what has happened is there are so many platinums now, they had to draw the line somewhere as the party was getting too crowded to enjoy.

Pat

Exactly. See post #219. "Platinum Plus" or whatever they're going to call it isn't far away. The current Platinum will end up with the old Gold benefits possibly minus the party. Carnival taketh away just to giveth back under a different program (drink coupon, anyone?).

Cruise lines frequently change perks along with other things...what was included (free) can suddenly now be an extra charge item.

45 minutes with one or two free drinks and food isn't the end of the world if you are not longer eligible to go. Get over it! You still have your whole sailing to enjoy.

MARAPRINCE

Again, from the other thread:

I agree that there are a lot of Golds, however, if they stuck with checking invitations at the door, then I don't think they would have had to go to this measure. The amount of Platinums will soon be overwhelming as well. Just wait until they introduce a "Platinum Plus" tier for those that have 75 days sailed. Platinum will become the current Gold Status.

I still say no +1. It's not comparable to an office party, wedding, etc where a companion is almost necessary. While it might not be as fun (for some people), it is a party to celebrate a status that has been earned, not to entertain guests of the guests.

And I say this as a lowly, red headed step child, I mean, Gold Member (not the Austin Powers movie BTW)

There were 125-150 Plat/ Dia last week on Freedom, good band food and many servers. It appears this could be a good while off if ever , no need to panic now, I noticed u r not Platinum, if so do not worry about us yet. HAPPY CAMPER HERE!

There were 125-150 Plat/ Dia last week on Freedom, good band food and many servers. It appears this could be a good while off if ever , no need to panic now, I noticed u r not Platinum, if so do not worry about us yet. HAPPY CAMPER HERE!

I'm not worried, per say, as I have a few more cruises before I hit Platinum, but I should be in about a year. However, I'm hoping that when they do change it, that I get some good perks (but I'm not counting on it) as I will have earned it the hard way by actual days sailed. There are far too many Platinums right now that got that way by taking shorter cruises. It's only a matter of time before they "Brilliantly" rearrange it. And at the pace they seem to be going, I have a feeling it will in fact be sooner rather than later.

Sorry, but personally I don't believe that (whereas on NCL it is true). If Carnival had people here they would make it well know with a screen name such as CCL Customer Service or something. Not for one minute do I believe Carnival has official "lurkers".

We'll be very interested in what happens on our Aug. cruise. My wife and I will be Diamond and bringing our 12 year old granddaughter for her first cruise. If she isn't allowed in, we can't (won't) attend.

Wouldn't she be happier being in Camp Carnival while you attend the party?

No. Wow.... Man you guys really missed the point.

Lets say I decide to have a party at my own home. Do I invite over my friend, who I have known for many years, but tell him that his new wife isnt invited because I haven't known her as long? What if they traveled from out of town to this party? How often is any invitation to a celebration or party in this world, not extended to the recipient's guest? We arent talking about a free trip to Tahiti here. We are talking about a couple of watered down $6 drinks.

I think you are the one that missed the point.

The party is now for Platinum & Diamond guests ONLY!

Edited by Sparky2

I think you are the one that missed the point.

The party is now for Platinum & Diamond guests ONLY!

Phase 1 for eliminating the past guest party is now complete with the expulsion of the golds. After several months look for the party to be cancelled due to " lack of participation ". That's how it worked with the chocolates; degrade then eliminate due to complaints. Seaday brunch coupon for golds; eliminate due to complaints and replace with ten cent water bottle. Then take away party and give back even more restrictive drink ticket to golds. I am going to throw my own past guest party by bringing just a bit more of my own alcohol. If Carnival can cut back, so can I :D

Edited by n6uqqq

We were on the Miracle a couple weeks ago. It was the first week of the change.

I believe they said we had a total of 85 plats and diamond. It was held in the Mad Hatters lounge( I think that is what it is called).

It was so much better. We usually only drink red wine and once the servers knew what we wanted the drinks flowed freely. I liked the little BBQ thingies, except the little buns were sort of sticky.

They did not show the film which was another nice thing. Band played and some people danced.

Phase 1 for eliminating the past guest party is now complete with the expulsion of the golds. After several months look for the party to be cancelled due to " lack of participation ". That's how it worked with the chocolates; degrade then eliminate due to complaints. Seaday brunch coupon for golds; eliminate due to complaints and replace with ten cent water bottle. Then take away party and give back even more restrictive drink ticket to golds. I am going to throw my own past guest party by bringing just a bit more of my own alcohol. If Carnival can cut back, so can I :D

So??? Are that many people really upset with the loss of a free beer or two? :confused:

Once a smuggler, always a smuggler, eh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Out to sea!

Wouldn't she be happier being in Camp Carnival while you attend the party?

In my opinion and my daughters is that camp carnival needs a revamp. At the age of 12 most are " tweeners". Camp carnival is geared more for ages 9-11. Circle C would be more to the liking of a 12 year old.

I posted this in another thread and it's how I feel.

So what would be the point then in banning Gold Members because there were too many people and letting Platinum/Diamonds bring a guest in? I went alone when I was Gold and I didn't die, nor did my mom who was Red.

I think it should be only the people who rightfully earned the spot to be there. If you don't feel like going by yourself, then don't go. It's not like you're spending the whole day by yourself. It's an hour max.

They probably wouldn't have had to eliminate Gold members from the party if the Gold, Platinum, & Diamond members were the only ones that had been allowed into the party.