Suite benefits. Unpacking.

georgieo

We have stayed in suites a couple times and love the perks of the butler service. I was wondering if anyone has used the service they advertise of help with unpacking? If so, how does it work? I've never done it. We are staying in the royal suite next cruise and thinking about trying it, depending on what others have experienced.

When you butler stops by your cabin he/she will ask if you want the service. We have never used it as I want to unpack and know where my things are going.

The butler's do not take offense if you wish to do this yourself.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Welcome to cruise critic.

We used it on our Eclpise transatlantic last year. We were in the room but he put everything away. All clothes were folded neatly in drawers and hung up in the closet nicely.

It was the first we time did it but our butler seemed to really want to do it:). He then showed us where everything was.

Edited by WNcruiser

It's a perk that's advertised, but honestly I wouldn't bother. I never have. The butlers have so much to do on change over day they really don't have the time to unpack for you. Besides I prefer to do it myself and put the clothes where I want them. It's part of the cruise ship first day ritual! Besides if the butler does help, you have to be there. I really think Celebrity need to take that off the benefits list.

Phil

We are pretty low maintenance and have never asked for the service and, as you have to be there when he/she unpacks, unless you are somewhat frail or have trouble walking, I can't really see the point. I wouldn't know what to do when the butler is unpacking - do you just sit and watch a complete stranger sorting through your undies? I would love to see how the butler would pack the case and could certainly benefit from their expertise. DH's suitcase always looks neat, but mine looks as if it has been ransacked and if anyone opened my case and went through my stuff when we were travelling, I would never be able to tell!:D However, watching the butler pack my things would be worse than the unpacking, as by the end of the cruise, of course, the undies being packed are no longer freshly laundered!:eek:

No way will we ever use that service. And on their busiest day? Nope.

We also don't use a butler to make a simple phone call to make a dinner reservation, and we don't use the special reserved seating in the theatre on formal nights. We're pretty independent and we book a suite for the room and not for the butler. Having said that, if you want to have a party for some people in your suite, the butler is great for that!

It is fun to use them. We always pack a few gag novelties and intimate items. The fun really starts when walking past the workers and notice them giggling and pointing us out. :D

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I actually think the original question has been pretty well answered --- you stay in the suite and supervise while the butler unpacks. I have stayed in suites and don't remember ever being asked, but since it is a printed perk, you could certainly speak up if you want this done and it isn't offered.

I will join in with others and say I wouldn't want anyone unpacking for me, but I imagine some take advantage of it or it wouldn't be offered.

Not even sure why this service is offered. It makes sense to have your butler unpack if he is YOUR ACTUAL BUTLER that cares for you and your clothes every day at home and when you travel. On a cruise ship you get a "rented" butler who is naturally not in such an intimate relationship with you and your belongings.

Not even sure why this service is offered. It makes sense to have your butler unpack if he is YOUR ACTUAL BUTLER that cares for you and your clothes every day at home and when you travel. On a cruise ship you get a "rented" butler who is naturally not in such an intimate relationship with you and your belongings.

My feelings exactly. At home I let my batman handle my wardrobe and when I bring him with me on a ship, I allow him to do the things a gentleman's gentleman has always done. It's so hard to get good help these days and I don't want to lose hm :D :D He loves to travel, so I do try to bring him along as much as possible; no one lays out my clothes better than he. ;)

Yes, it is such a pity that we have to leave our actual butler at home. Perhaps I could bring him along on future cruises as an "emotional support" butler?:confused::):D

Like so many others, we are the same! Never have asked for help packing or unpacking and I don't think I ever will. Come to think of it I don't even like my husband helping!

I like this answer and will be showing it to the wife.

Like so many others, we are the same! Never have asked for help packing or unpacking and I don't think I ever will. Come to think of it I don't even like my husband helping!

I absolutely agree about the husband part. My husband's only job when I'm unpacking is to stay as far out of my way as possible...preferably at least out on the balcony!:eek:

I did have my husband help me on our last cruise, because I had badly twisted my ankle the night before we boarded. I had him shuttle things from the bed to the closets and drawers so I wouldn't have to do as much walking back and forth (we were in a Royal Caribbean GS). Honestly, it took longer doing it that way than doing all the unpacking myself!:rolleyes:

On one cruise, I was just recouperating from a serious operation. The butler unpacked while I was there. It was a superb service for me at that time.

I've never asked any of our butlers for assistance with packing/unpacking. However, we did have one of our checked bags "go walk-about"on Century once. When all of the other luggage had clearly been delivered, we asked our butler if he could help find our missing suitcase. Turns out, it had been delivered to another deck by mistake. :eek:

I know that "turn-around" day is as hectic for butlers, as it it for the rest of the staff. So, we try to keep our request for their time that day to a minimum. :cool:

We were in a Royal Suite last week, and didn't meet our butler till we were already unpacked. When they opened up the staterooms, our luggage was already in the suite. I would not have wanted to wait till he introduced himself to unpack.

The whole week, we only ever saw our butler when he delivered the afternoon snacks if we were in the room at the time. There wasn't anything we needed him to do.

More for Celebrity and crew member to protect them if things went supposedly "missing" when you weren't there, but also he would need to ask where things should be put. As I said earlier they should get rid of this benefit from the list.

Phil

The butler will have access to the room when the guests are away, so he can be accused anyway. I also think the butler would know better than me where to put things.

Then again, I would never use such service either :)