Half Moon Cay or Amber Cove? Need Advice...

Lurkyloo

Can someone who has been to both tell me which they preferred and why? Looking for a trip on "Glory" and the itineraries are the same (From Miami to St Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico, Grand Turk) except one has Half Moon Cay, Bahamas and the other has Amber Cove, Dominican Republic as the 4th port.

I am leaning towards Half Moon Cay - just based on pictures. When I am cruising in the Caribbean, I am looking for sparkling clean turquoise waters and opportunities to snorkel or at the very least, relax on the beach with a frosty froo froo drink.

Any advice? I am sure I would enjoy either, but just want to hear about those two ports from people who have been there - thanks in advance! :)

I'm looking into the same exact itinerary for March 2016! And I totally agree with you on going to places with clear turquoise waters!! Amber Cove is a brand new port which opens in October so nobody has been there yet, but there are some pictures out there and it looks really nice. Carnival is making it their own, like what they did with Mahogany Bay in Roatan. From the pictures I have seen it looks very nice! But if you want nice and blue waters, I would go to Half moon cay on this cruise, and then once Amber cove opens up and people have been there and write about it, and if you like it, I would go give it a try!

Can someone who has been to both tell me which they preferred and why? Looking for a trip on "Glory" and the itineraries are the same (From Miami to St Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico, Grand Turk) except one has Half Moon Cay, Bahamas and the other has Amber Cove, Dominican Republic as the 4th port.

I am leaning towards Half Moon Cay - just based on pictures. When I am cruising in the Caribbean, I am looking for sparkling clean turquoise waters and opportunities to snorkel or at the very least, relax on the beach with a frosty froo froo drink.

Any advice? I am sure I would enjoy either, but just want to hear about those two ports from people who have been there - thanks in advance! :)

As for Amber Cove, as far as I know it's not open yet

You are correct, it is still under construction, so no cruisers have visited it yet.

Half Moon Cay is the destination itself where as a stop at Amber Cove allows further exploration of the north side of Dominican Republic besides just utilizing any beach area at the dock. There are activities available in Puerto Plata and the surrounding area.

Edited by lizardhowson

I would recommend Amber Cove for those wanting to do more than just lay at the beach all day. While Amber Cove hasn't opened yet, it's located just outside Puerto Plata so there will be considerably more things to do just because the region is so vast and because it was an established tourist destination, long before Carnival showed any interest.

For those who don't do any research beforehand and stay in the confines of the pretty welcome center, Amber Cove will be no different than going to Grand Turk or Mahogany Bay. But for those who want more out of their vacation than Margaritaville's and Senor Frog's, exploring beyond the gates of the Amber Cove welcome center may be the better choice.

Edited by Tapi

Thanks everyone - I was leaning towards HMC just based on pics. I know Amber Cove isn't open yet, I was kind of thinking maybe others had been in the general area I guess lol. Pictures I have seen of Amber Cover were lovely, but the water didn't have that "crystal clear turquoise" that I really love. At least not as much so as HMC. This is going to be our 30th anniversary so I am just thinking of snorkeling or basking on the beach with boat drinks while we gaze fondly at each other... ;)

Thanks for your input!

I've spent one week in Puerto Plata near where Amber Cove is being built. The water is the gray Atlantic Ocean and the sand is yellowish brown. Kind of ugly if you prefer the aqua blue waters of the Caribbean.

There is a park nearby somewhat like sea world. Otherwise, I think there will be even more negative reviews of the area outside of the controlled shopping corral environment than LaRomanna.

If someone wants to experience the Dominican, Punta Cana is the best place to visit. The Puerto Plata area is not.

HMC is a true Caribbean experience. I've taken a few snorkel excursions there that go to other areas/islands, so once you had enough of this gorgeous beach, you can still amuse yourself in the surrounding area.

Edited by evandbob

I've spent one week in Puerto Plata near where Amber Cove is being built. The water is the gray Atlantic Ocean and the sand is yellowish brown. Kind of ugly if you prefer the aqua blue waters of the Caribbean.

((CUT FOR SPACE))

Thanks - that is EXACTLY the info I was looking for and was my impression based on pics I have seen - thanks!

Half Moon Cay it is! :D

Half Moon Cay all the way.

It truly is a piece of haven on earth. Was there just a few weeks ago on the Glory and once again, loved every minute of it and was on the first tender getting there and the last tender back.

I booked Fantasy for 4/30/16 because it's 7 nights, Amber Cove, GT, and HMC.

Of course, the ship will be changed before we sail, but that doesn't matter to me.

I had my first visit to the DR on Freedom 11/29/14 sailing. Did an excursion to Saona Island. I thought it was all very beautiful.

I'm not a fan of the made-for-cruiser ports, so I may switch to a different cruise.

I'm also not a beach person, but fell in love with HMC. I've been 5 or 6 times (only missed it once due to Hurricane Sandy).

It's the main reason I'm probably moving to HAL once I get my Milestone cruise - they stop there on practically every itinerary. :D

• 4 months later...