Roughest seas you have experienced?

BonnieSte

Does it have to be on a cruise ship? I was on board a 65ft shrimp boat for 10 days back in 1990. We were off in the Grand Banks off the coast of Newfoundland in September and hit 2 hurricanes (Gustav Cat 3, and Isidore Cat 2). The ship's roll inclinometer was hitting 45 deg for hours on end. I seen it hit close to 50 once.

I was so sick, it's not even funny.

My 2 cruises were smooth as silk compared to that :rolleyes:

dp

October 2013 on the way back to Cape Liberty from Bermuda on Explorer.

The wave crests were well enough above the railing on the outside walkway on Deck 4 that they ended up closing it for the duration of the storm. It's something to be on a cruise ship and have to look up to see the top of a wave.

Song of America heading back north from the Mexican riviera. They closed the outside decks off with rope. Water was coming over the deck. Next would be Western C. During Hurricane Jeanne in 2004. Crazy rough going between the hurricane and the east coast heading north. Picked up a raft with 5 people trying to make it to US soil from Cuba too. They never would have survived :eek:

Oasis in 2012 eastern route. Not only were a lot of passengers sick but quite a few staff were also. Many bar tenders and cabin attendants booked off shift due to illness. It was funny watching people using the walls for support, even people who weren't drinking.

March 2013, Explorer out of NJ. We hit Cat.1 force winds on the way south. They closed all outside decks. More then half the ship was down and out from seasickness. Was also formal night and the captain warned the ladies to not wear high heals for safety sake. Was impressed with the waiters in the promenade who still managed to carry trays of champagne for the captains party while the ship was rocking and rolling. A bank of windows in the lower dining room were broken by a wave, luckily happened over night so no one was in there. We are lucky to not get sick from motion so were able to enjoy the ship, but really felt bad for those that could not.

Oasis in 2012 eastern route. Not only were a lot of passengers sick but quite a few staff were also. Many bar tenders and cabin attendants booked off shift due to illness. It was funny watching people using the walls for support, even people who weren't drinking.

What time of year? Was it hurricane season?

I do remember seeing the water in the pool sway on a cruise on the Grandeur back in 1997 (Eastern Caribbean in May)....and also our first night on Disney in 2001 was rough (Western Caribbean Jan 2001)...but I'm sure these were nothing compared to others.

Freedom of the Seas coming in on the backside of hurricane Sandy :)

AND, our very first cruise on Crown Cruise Lines on a 400 ft ship leaving Cozumel. It got so rough that folks in the pool were being thrown from one end to the other. We liked to have never got everyone out. .........they closed the pool after that. I'm sure it was not near as rough as Sandy but on the much smaller ship it didn't take as rough of seas to toss us around.

Edited by TexCruise371

Not sure the OP was interested in anything but the Caribbean, but we've had bad seas coming from Scotland to Iceland, twice between NYC and Nassau, and twice just south of Acapulco.

Crossing the North Sea through the remnants of a hurricane was horrible. Every time the ship would come down off a wave, it felt like it hit a giant rock. The whole ship would shudder.

To answer the OP's question, Eastern Caribbean.

Our version of the answer was by far the TA on Legend of the Seas between The Azores and Ireland in April 2014. Broken windows, doors, liquor stores (the most important) and folks falling or being thrown out of bed. Also, in Chops that night the meal for one table ended up on the one next door.

:(

Not sure the OP was interested in anything but the Caribbean, but we've had bad seas coming from Scotland to Iceland, twice between NYC and Nassau, and twice just south of Acapulco.

Crossing the North Sea through the remnants of a hurricane was horrible. Every time the ship would come down off a wave, it felt like it hit a giant rock. The whole ship would shudder.

;) I actually did mean between the 3 but I am really interested in all the answers. Dates help also, I try to never cruise from October to March. I get green pretty easy.

To answer the OP's question, Eastern Caribbean.

Our version of the answer was by far the TA on Legend of the Seas between The Azores and Ireland in April 2014. Broken windows, doors, liquor stores (the most important) and folks falling or being thrown out of bed. Also, in Chops that night the meal for one table ended up on the one next door.

Oh my! :eek:

What time of year? Was it hurricane season?

I do remember seeing the water in the pool sway on a cruise on the Grandeur back in 1997 (Eastern Caribbean in May)....and also our first night on Disney in 2001 was rough (Western Caribbean Jan 2001)...but I'm sure these were nothing compared to others.

Early November

Generally for me it is the Eastern route with the roughest seas, although I have not had much of a problem. I cruise in February and October and have only really had a few bad days where many people were feeling a bit green. Have you tried the sea bands? They really work for my family, and don't make you feel groggy.

Earlier this year as we were leaving New Zealand for Western Samoa. We had to take avoiding action because of Hurricane Pam which devastated Vanuatu. The sea was quite lumpy! We ended up missing Western Samoa and heading straight for our next port of American Samoa instead.

I've had rough seas in January in both the eastern and western caribbean. Neither were horrible, but you could feel it. I'm guessing the Eastern was probably worse since they felt the same but that was on Oasis compared to Grandeur in the Western.

The worst seas i've had though were on a transatlantic when three storms merged on top of us in the middle of the night causing 60 foot sustained seas with 80 foot peaks and 100+ mph winds. That was a crazy night, by morning things were a calm 40 feet again.

I don't think we've ever had rough seas in the Caribbean. Our roughest was either in the Baltic or the Mediterranean but the Caribbean has always been smooth sailing.:D

Sherri:)

Generally for me it is the Eastern route with the roughest seas, although I have not had much of a problem. I cruise in February and October and have only really had a few bad days where many people were feeling a bit green. Have you tried the sea bands? They really work for my family, and don't make you feel groggy.

I have tried them and they aren't bad. I also have these little tiny beads and put them on my two thumb pressure points. I have had really good luck with the southern route so we have stuck with it but I am trying to branch out and hence, this post. :D Looks like the eastern is in the lead for roughest as long as I stick to the Caribbean.

I have tried them and they aren't bad. I also have these little tiny beads and put them on my two thumb pressure points. I have had really good luck with the southern route so we have stuck with it but I am trying to branch out and hence, this post. :D Looks like the eastern is in the lead for roughest as long as I stick to the Caribbean.

Oh yeah and sticking to March/April and no more sailing out of NY/NJ

The worst seas we have encountered were the Outerbanks of North Carolina in the winter time. But we were on Explorer in November on the repo cruise and got hit by a rogue wave that disabled two lifeboats, took out a promenade door and flooded the aft elevator shafts.

All of our TAs were smooth except for once when we came through the Straits of Gibraltar where it was very rough. We have done 5 crossings that started in the Med, so once wasn't bad.

we've had rough seas in Eastern more than Western routes.

The absolutely worst was NJ to Bermuda during Hurricane Sandy in Oct 2012. Windows broke in Windjammer, thus closed, and main DR closed due to sliding tables. No hot food cause cooks shut off burners for safety. Passed out cold cut sandwiches in Promenade, Was a tense 2 days crossing to Bermuda, and story of a life time after going through it.