Need help about New Zealand please...

Cruising Syd to Auk on the Noordam one way. 14 day cruise. Cruise Melford and have 4 ports on the South Is before having 4 ports on the North.

We plan on renting a car in auk for 10 days to do a land portion too. Our ports are: Mel,Hobart,Milford,Dunedin,Christchurch,wellington,picton,Napier,Tauranga. Auk

Our dilema is how to divide these days up. We plan on doing some larger excursions on the south Island to see as much as we can while there. Would it be okay to spend the whole time on the north island ? Just to give you an idea of us we are seniors who have had our time of adrenaline and physical challenges. We will not be trecking or rafting or bungee jumping! We have an interest in Morai culture, beautiful views, waves and water, wine, charming small towns. We live near mts,so while loving them, we are very familiar with alpine

Views and activities. I do want to see sheep, fields and occasional art displays or local markets.

Any help appreciated. We do not mind driving, but wonder if the up and back would be redundant and perhaps costly for ferries etc. we know yours is a large country, and donot want to wear ourselves out just to say we saw it all. Far better to enjoy a few 2or3 nights in select areas. We plan on bed and breakfasts for accommodation.

Need to book soon,so please reply if you can.

I would rent the car, do auckland, waiheke, then drive north to bay of islands, from there I would use a guided day tour to cape reinga, then drive back down maybe to rotorua before finally heading back to auckland and home.

If you were to attempt both islands driving with ten days you would be driving and nothing else. We recently spent three weeks driving from Auckland to central Otago return and I wouldnt want to do it any faster.

Having done both islands via land vacations over 5 weeks, then a couple of years later on a cruise ship, I can say that while the North Island is a lovely place, the South Island is truly spectacular and a lot of the scenery cannot be viewed from a cruise port.

The South Island is not reserved for adrenalin junkies :D

I agree with Adidas4fun,

Stay in Auckland for a couple of days, or even go over to Waikeke Island for that time. Lots of excellent wineries there, plus some gorgeous beaches.

Then go up to the Bay of Islands. Do stop in Kawakawa for a "comfort break" - the public toilets were designed by Hundertwasser and are worth seeing. You could do a Cape Reinga tour and/or a catamaran trip out to the Hole in the Rock. There are also glowworm caves near the Bay of Islands. Do take the ferry across to Russell and have lunch or dinner at "The Duke of Marlborough".

Then head down to Rotorua where you will be able to learn about the Maori culture, visit thermal areas, lakes and sparkling springs. THis way you could use your port stop in Tauranga to sightsee around Tauranga instead of doing a day trip to Rotorua. There are a couple of good wineries near Tauranga too.

If you have an extra day you could head south from Rotorua to Lake Taupo, then go back up to Auckland from there.

Another option is the Coromandel Peninsula, instead of Rotorua. There is some spectaular scenery up there and you can drive up one side, through Thames and Coromandel, across to Whitianga, do a side trip to Hot Water Beach, then down through Pauanui & Whangamata, through the Karangahake Gorge and back to Auckland. I suggest overnight stops Coromandel and at Whitianga. There is an amazing tourist train at Coromandel http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/ which is worth doing. It takes you up a fairly big hill where you can get great views.

As well as looking at B&Bs you might also want to consider some of the more upmarket of the NZ motels. These are often like small apartments, many have separate bedrooms and a basic kitchenette (microwave and hotplates, electric jug, toaster). They are very comfortable. Many motels also provide cooked breakfasts delivered to your unit. Some motels in Rotorua have their own hot pools.

Having done both islands via land vacations over 5 weeks, then a couple of years later on a cruise ship, I can say that while the North Island is a lovely place, the South Island is truly spectacular and a lot of the scenery cannot be viewed from a cruise port.

The South Island is not reserved for adrenalin junkies :D

Normally I'd agree with you, Wastegirl, but since the OP isn't interested in mountain scenery, and only has ten days after their cruise, I think they would get more value out of just staying in the northern half of the North Island. The Coromandel, in particular, is a highly underrated tourist area for international tourists.

Normally I'd agree with you, Wastegirl, but since the OP isn't interested in mountain scenery, and only has ten days after their cruise, I think they would get more value out of just staying in the northern half of the North Island. The Coromandel, in particular, is a highly underrated tourist area for international tourists.

There is more to the South Island than Mountains, its that stunning glacial water colour that I found fascinating. But I agree with you, the Coromandel is a lovely area, spent a few days there - so relaxing and pretty.

There is more to the South Island than Mountains, its that stunning glacial water colour that I found fascinating. But I agree with you, the Coromandel is a lovely area, spent a few days there - so relaxing and pretty.

Yes, that's true.

I took my Australian DH around the South Island a few years back. We spent three weeks and it still wasn't enough.

But there are some incredibly beautiful places in the North Island, many close to Auckland. Doing the climb up Mt Rangototo is wonderful especially since it's a relatively young volcano, and the views from the top are stunning.

A day trip to Tiritiri Matangi (from Auckland) is also something special as there are some very rare birds there. The number of visitors per day are limited so it pays to book ahead. Watch out for the Takahe, they'll stick their beaks into anything. Cheeky little sods!

Piha Beach is interesting, and there is a massive black sand dune at Bethells Beach, next to a lake not the sea. The car park and walking track for this are just over a bridge, after the road flattens out coming off the Waitakeres.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Hi Muffin,

In my personal humble opinion, after looking around Auckland / Waiheke Island, as fantastic as the South Island is (and I can not wait to go back) I think you simply do not have time to do it justice beyond your cruise ship port visits.

I agree with previous posts - Bay of Islands, Russell (short ferry from Bay of Islands), Hole in the Rock (from Bay of Islands), Cape Rianga bus tour / 90 mile beach bus tour is a bit of an experience - (although note: a long day!) and Waitangi is a good visit from a Maori / European history point of view and the Treaty. All of which is in the North from the Bay of Islands / Paihia.

For a Maori cultural experience, I highly recommend Rotorua which includes all the thermal attractions for example Hells Gate and The Buried Village. Taupo really is not that far away from Rotorua and is a good spot to visit as well - easily by car (even a day trip from Rotorua).

For your time, I wouldn't go further south than Taupo. Craters of the moon in Taupo is an alternative thermal activity from those in Rotorua, personally I would do both, but if time is short, I would do Rotorua.

Also, Waitomo Caves is also a great experience for the glow worms/guided cave experience suitable for all ages.

The Coromandel Penisula is beautiful with a lot of beaches and lovely bush walks. Best enjoyed January, February, March.

Hope this helps.

Wow .....cruise critics respond again! I so appreciate the time and effort you all gave to help us along. We will be staying on the north island, and have eked out one more day to spend, so now have 11. The suggestions of where to go, and what to see are invaluable...we will have such fun checking them all out. Should you have anything to add, please feel free, and you will probably hear from us s we have more questions....so nice to have access to people inthe know.

Our cruise is booked, and I just got off the phone from booking our flight home again. We are using points which is why I needed to know where to go, so we would know where to book a flight home from.! Akl it is.

Thanks again. Marg

Cruising Syd to Auk on the Noordam one way. 14 day cruise. Cruise Melford and have 4 ports on the South Is before having 4 ports on the North.

We plan on renting a car in auk for 10 days to do a land portion too. Our ports are: Mel,Hobart,Milford,Dunedin,Christchurch,wellington,picton,Napier,Tauranga. Auk

Our dilema is how to divide these days up. We plan on doing some larger excursions on the south Island to see as much as we can while there. Would it be okay to spend the whole time on the north island ? Just to give you an idea of us we are seniors who have had our time of adrenaline and physical challenges. We will not be trecking or rafting or bungee jumping! We have an interest in Morai culture, beautiful views, waves and water, wine, charming small towns. We live near mts,so while loving them, we are very familiar with alpine

Views and activities. I do want to see sheep, fields and occasional art displays or local markets.

Any help appreciated. We do not mind driving, but wonder if the up and back would be redundant and perhaps costly for ferries etc. we know yours is a large country, and donot want to wear ourselves out just to say we saw it all. Far better to enjoy a few 2or3 nights in select areas. We plan on bed and breakfasts for accommodation.

With only 10 days to see what you can stick to the north island only. If you try to fit in both islands you will spend all your time travelling and see nothing. Take three days and see the far north - this will take up five of your days as the trip to Paihia is really a half day trip each way. Spend a couple of days on the Coromandel and then visit Waitomo caves. That's your 10 days cut out. Rotorua area can be covered by a day trip out of Tauranga.

Hi erewhon, our trip leaves Jan 30/16. Sounds like you are going in October? Be sure to report your observations and spectacular find s online for the rest of us! Beanb41".... Nice to get another opinion to support our decision made from the original replies. Just ordered a lonely planet book specific for the north island.. Will so enjoy reading it, and picking out some "must do" locations. Cheers all. Marg

Any time is never enough time in NZ in my opinion, from an Aussie who was married to a Kiwi!

I've never been to the North island (I intend to in the next few years), but I have been around the South Island a couple of times and lived in Christchurch.

Have to say even 10 days isn't enough for the SI alone.

I think previous posters have had some good advice about the North Island, enought to make me jealous..

Michelle :)

10-11 days is not enough for either island in my opinion. The op has made the right choice in staying on the North Island and that gives her an excuse to one day return and do the South Island.

We spent 3 weeks just touring the South Island the 1st time we went, the next time we had 2 weeks and we raced around both, was crazy, one at a time or very much longer next time to do both.

The only other thing I would add is a visit to the hot springs! Many around Auckland and on the way to many of the destinations already supplied.

Good point. Hot springs at Waiwera just north of Auckland, at Parakai north-west of Auckland, at Ngawha which is inland from Paihia, at Hot Water Beach near Whitianga where you dig your own pool in the sand (really worth doing, you can hire spades there but check the tides first) and at Whitianga itself (The Lost Spring). Probably a few more but those are all I can remember at the moment.

Hello All: Have a quick question re:akaroa- We really want to see the "Giant's House". Would there be a taxi at the port to take us there? If so, any idea how much would cost? Will then walk around town. thanks,

Hello All: Have a quick question re:akaroa- We really want to see the "Giant's House". Would there be a taxi at the port to take us there? If so, any idea how much would cost? Will then walk around town. thanks,

I would highly recommend The giants house. We have been there before and from memory I believe I saw taxi's and its not too far from the main street. From what I can see on Google its a 13 min walk - up hill, but on the way back it would be down hill LOL! So I cant imagine it being too expensive taxi wise.

Enjoy it and give yourself plenty of time to explore, we only stayed for a few hours :)

For your drive component I would recommend you consider using a Kruse GPS activated commentary. Its like having a tour guide in your car. We used one a few years ago and it made the driving so much more enjoyable.

It is an electronic device that stores commentaries about the places you drive through and is activated by GPS signals. It has history, folklore, maori legends, special geographical features and more.

You hire the device and it is delivered to to where you pick up your rental. When you finish your trip you drop the device into a prepaid envelope and mail it back.

Here's the link for more info. http://www.krusenz.com/

Hello: My niece is in NZ now and sending me gorgeous pics of Catlins. We will be on a cruise ship in November. Any way we can get to see this area if about 7 hrs in port? We will be in Dunedin, Akoroa, Bay of Islands and Auckland? thanks for any info, elaine

Hello: My niece is in NZ now and sending me gorgeous pics of Catlins. We will be on a cruise ship in November. Any way we can get to see this area if about 7 hrs in port? We will be in Dunedin, Akoroa, Bay of Islands and Auckland? thanks for any info, elaine

The Catlins are almost 3 hours drive one way from Dunedin. Not really possible during a 7 hour port stop.

Instead I highly recommend doing the Taieri Gorge rail trip which will take you through some stunning NZ scenery.

We have done NZ several times. The first time was 21 days in a campervan with 3 teenagers and we did both Islands. What we learnt from that trip was never try to do both at once. You are far better doing less driving and really enjoying what you are doing rather than trying to see a bit of everything. We were there for 2 weeks last year and after going to Mt Mauganui and staying on the beach there (which you will see when you dock in Tauranga) we headed up to the Northland and stayed at Russell and Paihia. If it is January you will have excellent weather, and plenty of Maori culture at Waitangi. Just be aware that February 8th, 2016 is Waitangi Day and there will be crowds there. It would be absolutely wonderful to experience this but you would need to make sure you have accommodation. South of Auckland cannot beat Rotorua and Taupo. Good site to look at is Wises.co.nz for travel times and directions. We always use this site. Have a wonderful trip.