ATMs in Italy and Spain

We will be taking our first transatlantic cruise in October and spending 4 nights precruise in Rome. The cruise makes multiple stops in Italy and Spain before heading to FL. My question concerns the use of my new Capital One debit card in those ports, especially Rome.

I know that credit cards in Europe are increasingly depending on the new chip technology and we have a few cards with chips for the trip.

Question 1: Do debit cards have chips or do ATMs in the countries/cities we are going to visit take regular strip cards?

Question 2: For those with experience with Capital One cards in Europe, are there any tips for using their credit and debit cards that a newbie should know about?

Thank you very much for any help/guidance you can offer since I did not see any other recent threads on this subject.

This is commonly discussed on the Europe ports boards. ATMs don't have Chip technology. US ATM cards work just fine in Europe- have used them many times. The only issues is the requirement for a 4 digit PIN. Some US ATM cards came with 5 digit PINs at some point.

There has been the common recommendation to use ATMs inside banks for the most security.

If you look over on the Europe Ports boards, you will see many discussions on Capital One. Don't think there is any special tips you need.

In Italy an ATM is called a Bancomat.

Bring a coin purse as the smallest Euro bill is €5. Romans will wait while you dig thru your coin purse for exact change. They hate larger bills. I once had an 'I Love Lucy' experience getting change for my approx €29 grocery store bill using a €50 note.

Someone else may be able to verify or dispute this tidbit .....

I was told by my bank that debit card PINs for use in ATMs in Europe must NOT use a zero (0) as the first digit.

I have a separate debit card and checking account that I use when traveling outside the US, as I prefer not to use my primary debit card, attached to my regular checking and savings accounts, for that purpose.

Agree about the €50 being unwelcome, unless of course you are spending €49!

I know this is probably obvious, but when withdrawing cash from an atm, I always request an amount that is not divisible by 50 ie 110, 160, 180 etc. That way I know that the machine will give me at least some €20 notes.

Agree about the €50 being unwelcome, unless of course you are spending €49!

I know this is probably obvious, but when withdrawing cash from an atm, I always request an amount that is not divisible by 50 ie 110, 160, 180 etc. That way I know that the machine will give me at least some €20 notes.

Like the fact that the bancomats will give out different denominations of bills. I remember when the U.S. ones did the same thing.

Edited by SadieN

This is commonly discussed on the Europe ports boards. ATMs don't have Chip technology. US ATM cards work just fine in Europe- have used them many times. The only issues is the requirement for a 4 digit PIN. Some US ATM cards came with 5 digit PINs at some point.

There has been the common recommendation to use ATMs inside banks for the most security.

If you look over on the Europe Ports boards, you will see many discussions on Capital One. Don't think there is any special tips you need.

FWIW, my Italian debit card has a 5-digit pin. It could be that for foreign exchange, only 4-digit pins are accepted, but the bancomats will accept at least some cards with 5-digit pins.

Thanks for all the tips...........I have previously refused to carry a debit card but specifically got one for this trip.

I have not read the tip about 50E notes and already got some with the cash I got for this trip while exchange rates are good.

With the prices I see in Rome, it seems that a 50E note would be small change in restaurants etc. Could you just go into a bank and ask for 5 20s for 2 50s...........or do the banks just deal with customers and not tourists?

PS: This will be our first trip to Italy and Spain and have no experience so thank you all once again for your patient and helpful answers.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

For any purchase near or over €50, there should be no problem paying with one of your €50 notes. But for smaller purchases, they are pretty unpopular. Your hotel might be willing to change them into smaller notes for you.

We have used our ATM cards many times in Italy and Spain, and elsewhere. Never a problem.

In fact, you will find that most ATMs start by asking you which language you prefer, complete with flags (take the union jack option).

We have had two anomalies. We have come across the odd ATM that would not give us money. Perhaps the com network was malfunctioning.

But we also came across one in Italy that would only give us a choice of a cash advance on our credit card. We were not sure about this so we simply went to another unit.

We were in Thailand this past January, on an island. One of our friends had their card gobbled up in the ATM on the weekend.. They had to wait for two days until the bank could get someone to come over to the island to open the unit and source the card for them.

This has made us think twice about when and where we withdraw money. Now we always do it during banking hours....at a bank or post office ATM just in case there is a problem. We never ever use a non bank/financial institution ATM...at home or when we travel.

Edited by iancal

I always pay for my groceries with a 50 € note to get some smaller notes.

Never a problem.

Don't be offended if it is put through the machine. Lots of counterfeits around.

Here in Europe I can assure you that we don't hunt through our purses for change . . it is too blooming small! One centimes are especially annoying!

Never a problem.

Don't be offended if it is put through the machine. Lots of counterfeits around.

Here in Europe I can assure you that we don't hunt through our purses for change . . it is too blooming small! One centimes are especially annoying!

It must be a regional thing. Where we are, (rural Italy) the clerks in the shops will help you hunt through your change for those little centesimi! I've seen locals, ex-pats and holiday-makers alike, holding out a handful of change so that the clerk can help select the right coins. Exact change wins you a beaming smile at our local supermarket!

Edited to add: I wouldn't advise the handful of change approach in the big cities though!

Edited by lisiamc

Never a problem.

Happened at the DOC on Carini in Monteverde Vecchio (Rome)

Edited by SadieN