Chefs Table and Reservation Planning

elfie

We are new to cruising Princess and are excited about the possibility of doing the Chefs Table. From what I read it can be very hit and miss getting a seat. I'm trying to figure out what nights to make dinner reservations at the restaurants on our upcoming 10 day AK cruise.

Sounds like for Chefs Table you find out if you are selected a few days into the cruise. With all the dine coupons that went out with the last sale I'm thinking I need to get the other reservations in the second we get on the ship. I want to eat in the MDR on formal nights and we have a late excursion in Juneau, but other then that how should I plan what night for Sabatini's, Crown Grill and possibly Chefs Table?

Assume your formal nights are likely to be sea or scenic days, and Chef's table will NOT be on a formal night. Put your name on the list for CT as soon as you can after boarding, as some MDs do first come first served.

Honestly, since you are new to Princess, I might consider saving the specialty $$ until you see how you like the MDR food. Personally, on our last two cruises we were happy enough with the MDR we felt no need to hit the specialty venues. Other than the first night, you should be able to get a res most nights, especially if you can be a little time flexible.

We are new to cruising Princess and are excited about the possibility of doing the Chefs Table. From what I read it can be very hit and miss getting a seat. I'm trying to figure out what nights to make dinner reservations at the restaurants on our upcoming 10 day AK cruise.

Sounds like for Chefs Table you find out if you are selected a few days into the cruise. With all the dine coupons that went out with the last sale I'm thinking I need to get the other reservations in the second we get on the ship. I want to eat in the MDR on formal nights and we have a late excursion in Juneau, but other then that how should I plan what night for Sabatini's, Crown Grill and possibly Chefs Table?

Definately call the DINE line as soon as you get to your cabin, do not pass GO, etc. the space is limited, usually 12 people. $95/person, but IMHO, so well worth it. The day before the dinner the group will meet with the chef and/or maitre'd to go over the menu and to make sure no one has any allergies to what will be served.

Edited by Treven

It will be the ECs discretion along with the MD. If the EC enjoys doing them they may find a way, if not, likely to skip.

We are on a 5 night Regal cruise. Are they likely to have a Chef's Table dinner on a short cruise like that?

We got in for the Chef's Table three out of the four times we tried. We did not find out on one cruise until the fifth day (which was a 10-day one).

You'r lucky. We were only successful 1 out of four times on our T/A's:(. As far as others have said, definitely call the dine line as soon as you board.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I want to eat in the MDR on formal nights and we have a late excursion in Juneau, but other then that how should I plan what night for Sabatini's, Crown Grill and possibly Chefs Table?

Even if you are able to do the Chef's table, you may not know what night it will be until a day or two before.

It is usually not on a formal evening, has it can be.

It will not be on the evening when there are excursions that run into the normal dinner hours. (By the way, on those evenings the traditional dining rooms become anytime. You use the same DR, but come when you are able and will likely not be seated in the area with your regular waitstaff.)

We have gotten the chefs table 4 out of 4 times. One of us calls asap when we board the ship. The thing is each time we were never able to pick the day in which we go to the chefs table, but then we never tried either. The chefs table is a must do experience.

The above posters are correct, try to board the ship as early as possible. The dine line opens at noon on most cruises, call as soon as it opens. The Chef's Table is never on formal night or, as mentioned above, on a night where you are still in port late. Sometimes the head waiters in the specialty restaurants have a schedule of the dinner schedule for the entire cruise.

Also, they do not have the Chef's Table on cruises shorter than 7 days. We were fortunate enough to do the Chef's Table Lumiere on the Royal last month and it was terrific. Worth the price in my estimation, but I am a foodie. Good luck!

After listening to the beep-beep of a busy line for DINE for about 15 minutes (constant redial), I hung up the phone and headed down to the dinning room that was open for lunch. Contacted the head waiter on duty and explained that I wanted to sign up for the Chef's Table. He made a call that got through and put me on the phone.

We were one of the lucky ones that got selected that Cruise.

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

Thanks for all the feedback. We will definitely try to board as early as they let us. It sounds like they will probably do the Chefs Table on a sea day on our cruise. It's great to know the MDR is Anytime on port days that run into the dinner hour ( all but one of our stops).

We have gotten the chefs table 4 out of 4 times. One of us calls asap when we board the ship. The thing is each time we were never able to pick the day in which we go to the chefs table, but then we never tried either. The chefs table is a must do experience.

That's the key. Call the dine line as soon as you board, not when you get to your cabin. Use a house phone

Edited by SadieN

At their discretion, they sometimes schedule additional Chef's Table days if there is enough interest to justify two nights. This is apparently a money maker for Princess as they have been expanding the offering throughout the fleet.