Are you happier with the new overnight on the cruise you had booked?

C 2 C

Were you asked if you were willing to lose a port in favour of the overnight?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. Were you asked if you were willing to lose a port in favour of the overnight?

• Yes. Celebrity asked for our preference.
    • No. Celebrity did not ask for our preference.
    • Yes. I prefer the overnight.
    • No. I prefer to visit another port.

Like a few others, I'm completely unaffected by this as I have no cruises booked for the Caribbean. With that said, if I did have one booked, it would be cancelled right now. MOST of the time I will book a cruise based on itinerary first and price second. if there is a change in the itinerary that is out of their control, I would be extremely understanding of the need to make the change. That is not the case here.

In this case, Celebrity is costing businesses money, causing people to be upset and either cancel or re-think sailing with them, and giving themselves some bad PR in the process. If that happened to me and a port I really wanted to visit was now no longer an option, I'd be cancelling and then re-booking with a new cruise line.

Be that as it may, I would not mind an overnight stay, but let ME be the one to pick the cruise it occurs on. Don't change one I'e already booked "just 'cause". :rolleyes:

And someone asked earlier if they'd be getting port fees back. Mostly likely not. Port fees are generally determined by the day. It's also actually possible that you could be charged slightly more! Not all ports are the same cost.

Wow only 26 of 175 are prefering overnights at the current point.

That's only 15%...

Celebrity should really read this... NCL did read the feedback and revised the "no food outside restaurant/buffet" rule after short time.

Don't think Celebrity will change the overnights though. They really BELIEVE they LISTENED to us, the customers.

They hear voices I think ;)

Just had a phone call from Celebrity in regards to one of my emails (I sent one to every address provided).

A very nice young woman (whose job I don't envy) asked if I had any questions. I said no, I just wanted to register how unhappy I was with the changes and hoped that maybe Celebrity would listen to their clients and re-institute our original itineraries. She was non-committal on that possibility but did say that 60% of their customers had requested these overnights.

I asked her if she was familiar with CC . She said she was. (She also said they read and monitor these boards. )

I then said that the comments on here certainly didn't support those findings.

I knew she had no power to change anything so just asked her to pass on my disappointment and the suggestion that maybe they put these changes off until 2017 or 2018.

We'll see.................

Edited by chamima

As I posted previously I booked with Royal and will be cancelling my Celebrity as I want port call in Dominica and do not want to overnight in St. Maarten. Please take the time to check Royal's offerings.

If enough people cancel the message will be sent. Good for you!

We lose our deposit in the UK if we cancel but I'm still checking other ideas before we decide what to do. I have to admit it's not a deal breaker for us but I'd have rather have the other port

Edited by Tiggertastic

I have the same problem. This has been going on since I got the lastest version of the IPad in Nov. I took it into Apple for that and a few other problems that I was having. As soon as the Genius seen this forum he said that CC is using a very old program or platform for the forums.

happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji274]

Thank you for the reply.

I am going to look at what else is being offered that week..I think once the brochures and itineraries are established and printed then they have should leave them alone. We choice our cruises based on what we see in the brochures. I can see cancelling for some danger, boat problems, or medical emergency. I do not like the way celebrity handled this at all.

Just had a phone call from Celebrity in regards to one of my emails (I sent one to every address provided).

A very nice young woman (whose job I don't envy) asked if I had any questions. I said no, I just wanted to register how unhappy I was with the changes and hoped that maybe Celebrity would listen to their clients and re-institute our original itineraries. She was non-committal on that possibility but did say that 60% of their customers had requested these overnights.

I asked her if she was familiar with CC . She said she was. (She also said they read and monitor these boards. )

I then said that the comments on here certainly didn't support those findings.

I knew she had no power to change anything so just asked her to pass on my disappointment and the suggestion that maybe they put these changes off until 2017 or 2018.

We'll see.................

I think it was a bit unfair to use CC as the sole barometer of "who is or is not happy" with the changes of all booked passengers. It would be fair to use CC as a small % of passengers on any given sailing who are concerned about the changes.

It is fair to say, that I understand the uproar, justified or not.

Bon Voyage for all who will sail and bon voyage for all who will change cruise lines...

I think it was a bit unfair to use CC as the sole barometer of "who is or is not happy" with the changes of all booked passengers. It would be fair to use CC as a small % of passengers on any given sailing who are concerned about the changes.

It is fair to say, that I understand the uproar, justified or not.

Bon Voyage for all who will sail and bon voyage for all who will change cruise lines...

I would venture to guess that the majority of passengers on the affected 2016 cruises aren't even aware yet that their itineraries have changed!

We have 3 cruises booked and all 3 are affected.

My TA (who is VERY good and passes on all information as she receives it) has only notified us about one of the 2017 cruises.

That tells me that Celebrity hasn't informed her yet.

I would venture to guess that the majority of passengers on the affected 2016 cruises aren't even aware yet that their itineraries have changed!

We have 3 cruises booked and all 3 are affected.

My TA (who is VERY good and passes on all information as she receives it) has only notified us about one of the 2017 cruises.

That tells me that Celebrity hasn't informed her yet.

Yes, I believe you are correct about the awareness of the other passengers, yet I wonder how many will be so upset as those who are here?

I do not think that many will be upset, they are looking forward to the sailing. I know that I would not be too upset, then again I have yet to sail Celebrity. I have been on cruises where itineraries have changed from ports I really wanted to visit, but once notified of the change, I was fine with it. Maybe I Am too easy to please???

Thank goodness for choices in the cruise world, it is easy to get what you want, either for a little bit more or a little bit less than what you were dissatisfied with...

We booked a 14 night Eclipse last year for next April....have never seen Bonaire and was really looking forward to it, now staying overnight in Curacao...can't change anything because the perks are way too good to give up including a boatload (pardon the pun) of OBC....Does anyone know why they canceled Bonaire?

I have been on cruises where itineraries have changed from ports I really wanted to visit, but once notified of the change, I was fine with it. Maybe I Am too easy to please???

I'm the same way...I heard about this, started contacting my tour providers to reschedule, and moved on. I've been working with the guide we're touring with in Cartagena to plan an evening excursion, and I'm actually very excited about it. We go to the Caribbean a lot, and this gives us an opportunity to see things we couldn't in an regular port call.

This isn't the first time I've had an itinerary drastically changed after I booked, and I'm sure it won't be the last. The funny thing is, the other time I had an itinerary majorly changed for something besides weather was back in 2006 when Princess decided to drop Grand Cayman from its Galveston sailings. People were very upset, but as I remember it the ship sailed full and it was one of our best cruises. I'm hoping this change will end up with a similar outcome!

We lose our deposit in the UK if we cancel but I'm still checking other ideas before we decide what to do. I have to admit it's not a deal breaker for us but I'd have rather have the other port

Are you sure about that? Under the PTR regulation 12, if the vendor makes a significant alteration they must notify the passenger and give the passenger the opportunity to cancel without penalty. That does not apply if the changes are due to some cause outside of the control of the vendor (weather, safety, maintenance, etc), but these changes clearly are within the control of the vendor.

You might want to check into how the PTR 1992 might apply in this case.

Edited by RDC1

Are you sure about that? Under the PTR regulation 12, if the vendor makes a significant alteration they must notify the passenger and give the passenger the opportunity to cancel without penalty. That does not apply if the changes are due to some cause outside of the control of the vendor (weather, safety, maintenance, etc), but these changes clearly are within the control of the vendor.

I've this discussion with X: they told me - these changes are minor and do not effect the total cruise vaccation at all... :eek:, therefore no change without loosing the deposit and perks....

I'm really cross this change in our itinerary. We did get an email from Celebrity, but why would they do this when people have presumably booked a cruise based on the ports it visits? We can't cancel or change cruises as we've already booked flights from the UK to Florida and wouldn't get the money back for these. Perhaps if we lived in Florida and could cruise in the Caribbean regularly I'd be less angry, but as we live on the other side of the world we're doing the cruise to visit as many of the different islands as possible - this is not a trip we're going to be able to afford to make every year when we factor in the flights as well.

This just seems so high-handed of Celebrity, and this will be our last cruise with them. If I book to go somewhere I want to go there, not have the tour operator change the destination for no good reason. The 11 night Western Caribbean cruise will be costing us in total about £4.5k (nearly $7k) because of having to pay for flights and hotel in Florida etc. If I'm going to spend that much on a holiday I want to go where I've booked to go, not where somebody else decides I should go.

I agree, hubby and myself are looking at other cruises, transferring the deposit BUT we will lose the 123, and also the same cabin we've had 3 times, which was a steal, booking for 4 in March this year whilst on ship, my sisters 1st cruise with Celebrity and it's her 30th Anniversary, wanted it to be special, hubby a serving soldier who was happy to return to Belize to meet old friends, still undecided...... But not happy....

I wonder if the original itineraries would have had the new line ups when booking, would it have changes anything? They would still sell the cruises if not to us

Booked whilst on Eclipse 2015 for March 2017, good deal would NOT of booked if we knew we were losing Belize, brother in law had old army friends and was going diving their, 1st cruise for him and my sister, took ages to convince her now....will lose out on perks and also the same cabin previously booked 3 times.....

Like a few others, I'm completely unaffected by this as I have no cruises booked for the Caribbean. With that said, if I did have one booked, it would be cancelled right now. MOST of the time I will book a cruise based on itinerary first and price second. if there is a change in the itinerary that is out of their control, I would be extremely understanding of the need to make the change. That is not the case here.

In this case, Celebrity is costing businesses money, causing people to be upset and either cancel or re-think sailing with them, and giving themselves some bad PR in the process. If that happened to me and a port I really wanted to visit was now no longer an option, I'd be cancelling and then re-booking with a new cruise line.

Be that as it may, I would not mind an overnight stay, but let ME be the one to pick the cruise it occurs on. Don't change one I'e already booked "just 'cause". :rolleyes:

And someone asked earlier if they'd be getting port fees back. Mostly likely not. Port fees are generally determined by the day. It's also actually possible that you could be charged slightly more! Not all ports are the same cost.

Hear hear, our thoughts too, let us decide before we book, we would and most probably will be changing cruise and cruise line.....

Where do I find this information please ? RDC1

I would agree that Celebrity could have phased in the changes with some consideration for those who had already booked. Most of the contributors on this site will have the choice to cancel for a full refund but others mostly Europeans or Australians do not have this choice.

Celebrity should offer on this occasion a full refund to all, no matter where they are resident, if that is their wish.

I for one much prefer the changes, I would be happy if they parked up for a week, all I want is Sun ,Sea and Sand with a 5 star home that I can trust and enjoy.

i'm the same way...i heard about this, started contacting my tour providers to reschedule, and moved on. I've been working with the guide we're touring with in cartagena to plan an evening excursion, and i'm actually very excited about it. We go to the caribbean a lot, and this gives us an opportunity to see things we couldn't in an regular port call.

This isn't the first time i've had an itinerary drastically changed after i booked, and i'm sure it won't be the last. The funny thing is, the other time i had an itinerary majorly changed for something besides weather was back in 2006 when princess decided to drop grand cayman from its galveston sailings. People were very upset, but as i remember it the ship sailed full and it was one of our best cruises. I'm hoping this change will end up with a similar outcome!

a+++++

Celebrity just announced changes to the itineraries of a number of Caribbean cruises. As someone who is booked on two of the cruises that lost Bonaire, I know that we were not asked if we wanted this change but perhaps others booked on the affected cruises were.

If you were booked on these cruises, are you pleased that Celebrity cut a port in order to add the overnight?

X%20Overnight_zpsn9qpzw0x.png

Hi,

Just found out this thread about the itinerary changes. We are booked an an affected cruise( 03/04/16) on the Eclipse and agree with the majority of the comments here about losing out on a port for no reason outwith celebrity's control. We booked this cruise on the itinerary provided by Celebrity and Bonaire was one of the stops I have never been to yet. As we have already booked flights and hotel cancelling this cruise has too many financial penalties to bear for us but we have already written to Celebrity already about this (without a response yet). I hope they have a good look at all the negative comments here and on individual cruise threads. We were told by our travel agent who enquired on our behalf why the changes were made, that this was the result of requests by previous cruisers!! What about the cruisers who are actually booked on the affected cruises, don't they get a say in this decision??

I can't see how to actually vote in this or if it is already closed but this is my tuppence worth anyway. :mad:

Fisherman7071

Alex from Scotland

I'm a bit peeved but DH is looking forward to an overnight. We've lost St Kitts for overnight it in St Maarten. You can swap to another cruise without losing your deposit in the UK. I think the point for us is that it's the Xmas cruise and it was a lot cheaper than the equinox

I was told it would £75 amendments fee to change and lose OBC and drinks package. I knew about 2016 as they emailed me. As yet TA still hasn't told us about 2017! Not happy. Don't want to visit ports at night.

Not happy about losing Bonaire for Curaçao overnight in 2016. Losing Antigua for overnight in Aruba 2017. Booked 2016 in March 2014! Think they should have started in 2017 and put it into place before going on sale!