Piano?

Chunder Worthy

I'm getting the impression that Princess is anti-piantite

While you may be a good piano player, lots of people who think that they can play can't but do anyway. Also, can you imagine a kid on board not thinking it would be fun to hit the keys.

DON

On one of my past cruises the entertainer was in the lounge taking requests, to which I walked up and asked him to play 'Moonlight Sonata' by Beethoven. He respectfully denied the request saying that it wasn't appropriate for the time and place, but promised if I reminded me later he would.

Not everyone is a classically trained pianist, and as stated in the previous post, not everyone wants to hear drunks pounding out 'chopsticks' or someone's beloved daughter catching up on her recital training at sea while they're on vacation too. And if the CD allows one passenger, shouldn't it be fair to allow all passengers access to play (annoy) for everyone else's enjoyment (OMG, it was quiet, and now there's someone banging out 'Great Balls of Fire').

But, asking the CD for an appropriate time and place to which you could practice your skills couldn't hurt.

The entertainer eventually did play my request later that cruise, and it was perfect. I can close my eyes to this day and hear it, see it, and smile. But that's because the setting was ideal, and not to the disruption of others.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Do any of the ships (esp. Emerald) have a piano that one might play?

There are real pianos in the theater, Piazza, Wheelhouse Bar, Explorer's Lounge, Adagio Lounge. I believe in Club Fusion and the Wedding Chapel they use keyboards.

Casual play? Pianos are off limits to passengers

Practice for a passenger talent show or something like that? speak with the Cruise Director, I have seen it allowed.

On the Regal TA last October a guest was using the piano in the wedding chapel to practice. He was a fantastic musician...we enjoyed just siting in there and being entertained.

Lew

Historically (because that lounge seems to be little used these days) there was a piano in the Adagio Lounge on the Emerald Princess. I was in there on a sea day soaking up the peace and quiet and a fellow passenger came in and played for about an hour. I was surprised because I play piano too and had been told in the past that all ship pianos were off limits to passengers. But he played well and I love the sound of a piano and so I stayed for his full "performance".

While you may be a good piano player, lots of people who think that they can play can't but do anyway. Also, can you imagine a kid on board not thinking it would be fun to hit the keys.

DON

A guy I was dating in college would boost about his skillful jazz musicianship. He actually went into the building that house a major auditorium, sat down and started playing away. He got into major trouble as the piano had been just tuned for an upcoming concert.

Often I'll see locks on pianos (the lid is locked) that are in public areas to keep unauthorized persons from hitting the keys. Can't remember if I've seen these on ship's pianos, but I wouldn't be surprised.