Bandages or blister pads

dheianevans

One of those simple questions I never thought of before...

If you happen to need a blister pad or bandage on the ship, are you able to get a single one free from the infirmary? Or is that something you have to buy from the infirmary or ship shop?

You can get band aids, in a variety of sizes, at the Front Desk. They will give you several at a time. You can also pick up some small packs of Bacitracin ointment while you are there. No charge for either.

These same things, and quite a few other things, are also available at the Infirmary, when it's open for business.

You can get band aids, in a variety of sizes, at the Front Desk. They will give you several at a time. You can also pick up some small packs of Bacitracin ointment while you are there. No charge for either.

These same things, and quite a few other things, are also available at the Infirmary, when it's open for business.

Wow. I had no idea of this. Thanks so much for sharing this information with us.

The last time we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam, my friend and I went to the shops looking for lip balm (Lypsyl). We were told they didn't stock it, we had to go to the infirmary where they would sell it to us. We did go to the infirmary and each of us purchased a tube. Very strange. Maybe we should have checked at the front desk!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You can also get aspirin, acetaminophen, and a sea sickness tab (think it is meclizine) free of charge in the med center. They have bins of the little packages at the desk. One nurse told me that they will continue this unless people start misusing the offerings, like filling their pockets. They used to have individual packettes of bug wipes for free but now they are charging for these. Have also gotten a few gauze pads at no charge.

Edited by take us away

Having had 2 cruises ruined by blisters, now minus one toe. I bought some really good walking shoes and good padded socks. No problems since. Perhaps its true that an ounce of prevention..........

We carry our own small emergency kit.....helps being in health care. :)

So do we- a small zippered bag with OTC supplies such as band aids, a few gauze pads and tape, painkiller of choice, lip balm, Bonine for seasickness, antibiotic ointment, etc. Who wants to go running around the ship to the Front Desk or infirmary when it's open just to get inexpensive ordinary everyday medical supplies for free.

Having had 2 cruises ruined by blisters, now minus one toe. I bought some really good walking shoes and good padded socks. No problems since. Perhaps its true that an ounce of prevention..........

I bought a few pairs of socks from a running store that guarantee you won't get blisters. I used to get blood blisters that take forever to heal on the bottom of one toe. Haven't had one since.

So do we- a small zippered bag with OTC supplies such as band aids' date=' a few gauze pads and tape, painkiller of choice, lip balm, Bonine for seasickness, antibiotic ointment, etc. Who wants to go running around the ship to the Front Desk or infirmary when it's open just to get inexpensive ordinary everyday medical supplies for free.[/quote']

Good point. We, too, carry meds and ointments of various kinds. Learned our lesson spending way too much of our time in New Zealand looking for a pharmacy (did find a nice one). Our cough and cold remedies really came in handy on our recent X cruise. When I fell on RCCL, I had to go and be checked in the infirmary. People were literally throwing up and I would not sit in their waiting room as directed. Someone had left the crew waiting room door open and I waited in there as no one was in there. The infirmary is a place to avoid if you have any choice about it.

I'm one of the anal people I have a first aid kit that I put together to cover all possibilities when we travel, cruise or other. It is in a plastic case so it is not too heavy.

But I also agree that you can get some stuff from the front desk but doubt you can get anything free from the infirmary, but could be wrong.

Good luck

So do we- a small zippered bag with OTC supplies such as band aids' date=' a few gauze pads and tape, painkiller of choice, lip balm, Bonine for seasickness, antibiotic ointment, etc. Who wants to go running around the ship to the Front Desk or infirmary when it's open just to get inexpensive ordinary everyday medical supplies for free.[/quote']

The other thing, at least for us, is that we've been cruising in Europe for the last few years and that's meant a few days pre and post cruise in Athens, Venice, Rome, Istanbul, and Barcelona to name a few. I suppose we could ask the hotel or shop around on the local economy but it's much nicer to have our little kit with us just in case.

We also have a small pharmacy that travels with us on long cruises as one never knows what will happen. We try to cover all bases, clogged, unclogged, stuffed, unstuffed, etc. Started doing this after we paid something like $7 for a small bottle of cough syrup from the shop on board as my DH had caught the 'cruise cough'. It all fits into a plastic shoe box and lives on the shelf under the sink. We usually take the blister packs out of the boxes, i.e. for cold meds, snip off the instructions from the original package and add these to the plastic box to save room.

I always have a small kit of various treatments which we use for small injuries/colds etc. I'd much rather have the brands we like on hand and available immediately if needed.

I agree. I always pack a first aid kit of OTC supplies to have on hand on any trip away from home. You never know what might happen and when so it is best to come prepared and the supplies don't take up a lot of packing space. Just makes sense.

I bought a few pairs of socks from a running store that guarantee you won't get blisters. I used to get blood blisters that take forever to heal on the bottom of one toe. Haven't had one since.

I've been walking five miles most every day for 30 years or so. Learned long ago to put a dab of vaseline in a very small little plastic bag and keep in my pocket....at the very first sign of any blister/irritation stop and rub some vaseline immediately and you'll usually avoid getting any blisters.

I always pack a small 1st aid kit when traveling too. This is a good idea for a thread topic: what do you pack in your 1st aid kit? Once when in Mexico, we had to make a Walmart run for my eyglasses. I'm nearly blind w/o them. So now I add an eyeglass repair kit as well as a small mending kit, scissors & tape. You never know what can happen, it's good to be prepared. I never wish to see the ship's infirmary if I don't have to.

If you are concerned about blisters on your feet, you would do much better taking moleskins with you. They are much more effective at preventing continued rubbing of blisters by your shoes than mere Band-aids.

If you are unfamiliar with this product, you will find it in the same area as Band-aids in your local pharmacy.

(I was saved by fellow traveler who gave me some moleskin when I developed a blister on my heel during a walking safari in Africa. Now I never travel without a package of it.)

If you are concerned about blisters on your feet, you would do much better taking moleskins with you.

Agreed. I always take two kinds with me: regular moleskin for normal use, and for days when I know I'll be out walking an extra long time, Dr. Scholl's Molefoam Padding. Excellent protection against blisters.

Agreed. I always take two kinds with me: regular moleskin for normal use, and for days when I know I'll be out walking an extra long time, Dr. Scholl's Molefoam Padding. Excellent protection against blisters.

Definitely !!! Regular Moleskin saved me on our extended land touring in Europe. I applied it if I felt any rubbing and it never developed any farther than that. I took some cloth Band-Aids with me and secured the Moleskin in place with them just to be sure :)