Is this a policy placing your tray outside the cabin?

Recently on Radiance we called when we were done and were told the tray should be left outside the room on the floor and it would be collected. I have been informed it is not the job of the stateroom attendant but if one is in the room when he is cleaning it, he will always remove it. Every time we had room service we called and were told to leave them outside. I constantly saw staff with trolleys collecting trays and collection was usually very prompt.

Same here and as far as it being "trailer-park trashy" I think the same thing when a cabin door is open and trays, plates, glasses and food are on the coffee table and dresser. If we order room service at all, it's for our morning coffee and maybe fruit or a pastry. We call and get told to leave it outside. There are times when we've ordered fruit and cheese for a late night snack with wine or even some of the dip. I call and I'm told to leave it in the hallway. We've seen a trolley collecting all the trays but if someone didn't pick the tray up at night in a reasonable time (over an hour), I'm not waking up to a nasty plate of dip and fruit sitting around while I'm getting ready to leave and I'm not leaving it for our cabin steward. I put it outside in the tuck. Just shake your head if you pass my trays in the hall, but know that my cabin is neat, clean and uncluttered day and night and it's going to stay that way.

We typically toss everything out the balcony window and have never had a complaint. I am booked on an oasis neighborhood balcony leaving next week and hope we would still be able to toss everything out at night without being noticed.

We do the same, but take it one step further by using our trailer park bra slingshot to get some good distance between us and our trash. In your case it would actually work out great on the Oasis. Send it across the ship to someone else's balcony. They can deal with it. :p

Edited by lv2bcruzin

We were on Voyager in March of this year and when we ordered room service breakfast, we were told by room service to leave our empty dishes outside the door of the cabin and they had a person with a cart who routinely travels through the hallways picking up empty dishes. they said no need to call them for pickup.

On a side note regarding the Trailer Trash, our $350,000. diesel pusher motor home is far more luxurious than any ship cabin or hallway I have been in. But if you want to call me trailer trash, that is ok with me. It gives me a sense of STATUS.

Yeah, thats it! lets create MORE work for an already overworked cabin attendant who has absolutely NOTHING to do with room service!

Confused? Cabin attendants are paid employee that has the only purpose of serving guest. They are not over worked. If they can't handle a few dirty dishes they might find a new job!!!

The reasons behind leaving the trays outside your room are the employee picking them up does not have a key to your room. To wait for your room attendant may mean hours especially later in the evening. I don't know about you but I don't want dirty dishes in my room overnight nor someone coming in to pick them up. Putting them outside your door and they should be gone fairly quickly.

Confused? Cabin attendants are paid employee that has the only purpose of serving guest. They are not over worked. If they can't handle a few dirty dishes they might find a new job!!!

They aren't? Could have fooled me. Just because they serve guests doesn't mean they are servants.

I don't know what luxury hotels you stay in, but whenever we are at the Four Seasons they ask us to call room service to have the tray removed. If they don't get a call within a few hours of delivery they actually send someone to retrieve it.

That's to be expected at a Four Seasons hotel. I've called room service to pick up their trays/dishes from both the hall and the cabin. They didn't show up for HOURS.

Glasses and dishes left everywhere by a bunch of ill mannered slobs. There are bars everywhere, why not drop of your glasses there. Lazy a**es!

Whoaaaa Sox...cool your jets! Your Chi-town toughness is showing (I'm from there too). ;)

We often stay at Westin, Hilton and various boutique hotels. Have been told to sit it outside and call on more occasions than I can remember. I agree, they don't bother us.

That's been the standard practice at the hotels where Iv'e every ordered room service. We've never ordered room service on a cruise but if we do I guess I'll just ask the crew member who brings the food where to leave the dishes. If they say in the hall so be it.

The mill owners of the 19th Century would have loved you.:rolleyes:

I seldom use room service, but I do not get my knickers in a knot if someone chooses to leave their tray in the hallway when finished. How is it any different than the room steward's cleaning cart or our luggage in the hallways?

When I read some of the comments and petty complaints on these boards, it just reinforces my belief that some folks have way too much time on their hands.

We never put the tray in the hallway because it looks tacky and is a safety hazard. We leave it on the balcony table and if it's not picked up by the time we go to bed we just toss it all overboard. Problem solved.

Okay, this thread has gone too far with people sniping at each other. Here's a solution that should make everyone happy. Rinse the dishes and glasses off, then pack them in your suitcase as souvenirs - no worries about where to leave them!;)

And how many people will think I'm serious??

We never put the tray in the hallway because it looks tacky and is a safety hazard. We leave it on the balcony table and if it's not picked up by the time we go to bed we just toss it all overboard. Problem solved.

[emoji13] Too darn funny!

Okay, this thread has gone too far with people sniping at each other. Here's a solution that should make everyone happy. Rinse the dishes and glasses off, then pack them in your suitcase as souvenirs - no worries about where to leave them!;)

And how many people will think I'm serious??

[emoji23] Too darn funny! I bet a 1/3 will!

I find it quite disturbing that folks leave their empty trays out in the hall. How tacky, classless, and frankly, quite trailer park-ish.

It is a common practice in many hotels (as well as on cruise ships) and has nothing at all to do with tact, class or "trailer parkishness." If you don't think it's appropriate, don't do it.

I'm not really defending myself here, as I don't even use room service, but leaving a tray outside your door for easy pick-up is a very common thing, and with standard cruise cabins that have limited space, it's not surprising that many people do so.

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. In nearly 50 cruises, I have never given this much thought and do order room service nearly every day on most cruises.

This is my take away from reading and evaluating all the previous comments. It does bother some if you leave the dishes in the room for your room steward to pick up (oooops...this has been our standard practice so far with one exception) but if you leave them in the hallway, that bothers others. Short of tossing them overboard, not a lot of other options. I think from here on out, I will call room service back and see what they want me to do and go with that.

As for the one exception as above, we sailed on the Infinity and there was actually a cart left in the hallway on which you could place your trays of dishes from room service and the buffet that you brought to your room. It was attended to every 20 minutes or so to make sure it wasn't overflowing. The Infinity did have a great spot for this as the hallways weren't long and straight...there was a little corner where it tucked into without blocking the hallway. I have not seen that since and wondered why....it seemed like such a great idea. Maybe I wasn't seeing some of the unfavorable consequences of that.

We've been told to leave them in the hall. That's what we do.

You don't like it? I don't care. ;)

Exactly!! I'll be darned if I'm going to leave that stuff on the 5 sq ft of counter/desk space in the rooms! Don't give a rats behind about being classless....:rolleyes: