Anyone Ever Get This Error Message Before?

ceilidh1

It appears that something has gone wrong and we were not able to continue to the next step.

• 5399: No additional guests age 004 thru 008 are allowed on sailing.

I am trying to book for myself and 2 kids - cabin availability, but won't let me proceed after putting in info! Never seen this before. Too many kids on cruise?

It appears that something has gone wrong and we were not able to continue to the next step.

I am trying to book for myself and 2 kids - cabin availability, but won't let me proceed after putting in info! Never seen this before. Too many kids on cruise?

Too many kids in that age range. Many cruise lines have limits as to how many kids in each kid's club level are allowed. And won't book more kids than each level can accommodate at one time.

Call Princess or call a Travel Agent. My guess is there are too many kids in that age group. Princess should be able to tell you how many kids are waitlisted so you can see if you stand a chance of doing the cruise.

I thought that, too...but the age range doesn't make sense. Princess kids clubs are 3-7 and 8-12 so it would make sense if, for example, the age ranges were the same as the clubs on the error message. My kids just happen to be 4 and 8 (the age range on the error)....wonder if it would let me book for a 9 year old - curious now! Is the number of kid limit a "revenue" thing (kids don't spend as much onboard) or something else? I didn't know they would limit the numbers, so really intrigued!:confused:

I thought that, too...but the age range doesn't make sense. Princess kids clubs are 3-7 and 8-12 so it would make sense if, for example, the age ranges were the same as the clubs on the error message. My kids just happen to be 4 and 8 (the age range on the error)....wonder if it would let me book for a 9 year old - curious now! Is the number of kid limit a "revenue" thing (kids don't spend as much onboard) or something else? I didn't know they would limit the numbers, so really intrigued!:confused:

Well, you have to enter each child's birthdate, so Princess is going to know how old they are.

I'm thinking that the weird age group (4-8) is to cover the fact that there may be some "wiggle room" as to which club the kids will be attending?

I doubt that it's a revenue thing. I know on DCL that they limit bookings of kids based on maximum occupancy of each kid's club level so that there's no chance of the club being full if you want to drop off your child there.

Well, you have to enter each child's birthdate, so Princess is going to know how old they are.

I'm thinking that the weird age group (4-8) is to cover the fact that there may be some "wiggle room" as to which club the kids will be attending?

I doubt that it's a revenue thing. I know on DCL that they limit bookings of kids based on maximum occupancy of each kid's club level so that there's no chance of the club being full if you want to drop off your child there.

That is what I was thinking also.

Why don't you contact Princess and ask them this question?:confused:

Why don't you contact Princess and ask them this question?:confused:

That is exactly my question. Why would someone come here to ask this question when it obviously MUST be addressed by Princess.

Clearly you or your TA need to speak with Princess to sort this out. Life jackets can't be a problem, they have tons of children's life jackets available or can be put on board. Just a SWAG would be that it's a computer glitch or Princess needs to speak with you as the parent. It kind of reminds me of trying to book an accessible cabin and online and being told all are booked but if you or you TA phones there are accessible cabins available.

I had the same issue booking my December cruise. Spoke with two reps at Princess and the best I could get was #19 on the wait list. Spoke with my local AAA office and they spent the day making calls and were able to get us booked. So if calling Princess directly doesn't help you can try working with a travel agent. We are a party of 10 with only one in this age range. Princess told me that it was a limit placed for the kids clubs. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the helpful answers and the "not so helpful" comments! I simply posted the question here as I was intrigued by the error message, having never seen it before - I figured that if someone on here had encountered it and knew what it was then it obviously WASN'T a computer glitch and more a Princess policy. On the flip side, if no one had ever seen / heard of this before then maybe it was worth a call to Princess. I was trying to do a booking online because I was at work and wasn't in a position to get on a phone and call them - hence posting the question here, on a forum that is designed to ask questions and receive advice. Once again THANK YOU to all that offered the advice and thoughts......

Thanks for the helpful answers and the "not so helpful" comments! I simply posted the question here as I was intrigued by the error message, having never seen it before - I figured that if someone on here had encountered it and knew what it was then it obviously WASN'T a computer glitch and more a Princess policy. On the flip side, if no one had ever seen / heard of this before then maybe it was worth a call to Princess. I was trying to do a booking online because I was at work and wasn't in a position to get on a phone and call them - hence posting the question here, on a forum that is designed to ask questions and receive advice. Once again THANK YOU to all that offered the advice and thoughts......

No need to explain yourself. Just ignore the Debbie Downers.

Most of us have no issue answering any questions. :cool:

Cruises are capacity controlled and egardless Princess does not just load more lifejackets. When the space is filled the space is filled.

No need to explain yourself. Just ignore the Debbie Downers.

Most of us have no issue answering any questions. :cool:

Cruises are capacity controlled and regardless Princess does not just load more lifejackets. When the space is filled the space is filled.

All Princess ships can fill every passenger berth as there are life survival craft on every Princess ship that can handle all staff and passengers.

There used to be a some exceptions which no longer exist. For example, the CB could not fill all passenger berths until some of the 4 bed passenger cabins were converted at some point into two bed cabins for crew.

This information came from the Customer Services Director on a Princess ship.

The computer software was just messaging (idioting) back to you the ages of your children entered in booking, not anything more - not related to the splits and ranges in the kids' clubs. Simply stating your two ages not allowed. You probably would have got a similar message if you went back and changed the BD of one of the kids.

The computer software was just messaging (idioting) back to you the ages of your children entered in booking, not anything more - not related to the splits and ranges in the kids' clubs. Simply stating your two ages not allowed. You probably would have got a similar message if you went back and changed the BD of one of the kids.

You are right! I tried a fake booking using 3 years and 10 years and the message came back as kids 3-10 not permitted. If it truly is a kids club capacity thing then I am GLAD that they do this - we sailed on Grand recently (with not many kids onboard) and there was a "waitlist" for kids club - I wasn't happy, since one of the reasons I book Princess is for kids club. At least if they limit the number onboard there is less chance of finding you have two bored kids on your hands for 2 weeks as the club is full!

Just thought I would post an update to this in case anyone is ever in the same situation...I did end up calling Princess and asking if they could give me an idea of the number of kids/waitlist, etc to see if it was worth me checking in and monitoring this cruise. I was told that it would have to go via customer relations. Customer relations told me the only way to find out would be to make a booking and then go through the yield department. That would be fine, but I couldn't even make a booking unless I didn't include the kids, and I really didn't fancy making a booking for a single and having to pay the deposit, just to find out if there was any hope of getting on the sailing! It just seemed like far too much hassle and work - I guess they are not that desperate to take my money! Oh well.....:confused:

FYI- The cruise in question is the RT LA-Hawaii on Ruby, December 18th. We are already booked on the Vancouver-LA portion, but will likely cancel that if we can't get on the next leg...Boo!

FYI: that cruise is totally sold out as of now. Sorry for that. In the future, if you have a cruise you might want to do, book it. Of course, make sure that the deposit is refundable if you need to cancel.

This is the only way to guarantee that you and the kids will get on the ship:)

I forgot to add that it is true, the CR person cannot tell you what number you will be on the wait list until you are ON the wait list.

An agent would have also been able to tell you that the 4 - 8 age group was closed for that sailing.

Interesting string...I had no idea that cruise ships limited the number of children for whatever reason.

Me either - until now! I must say, I would rather be refused PRIOR to booking than to board the ship thinking that my kids would be going to kids club and then find that it was full and there was no space for them. This did happen on Grand recently, even though there were very few kids onboard...I assumed it was a "ship" problem but obviously there were too many kids for the number of kids club staff on that sailing!