Oosterdam review

rslinky

Sailed on the Oosterdam on the 5/17 to 5/24 Seward to Vancouver. These are my thoughts on the ships condition and services. We are frequent travelers but this was only our second cruise.

Ship seems in good condition. Very clean. Only really worn places I noticed were on the seats in the show lounge. Outside areas pristine white, no rust. We had a signature suite and it was obvious that a section of the carpet had recently been replaced. Bed and chairs comfy. Deck had two chairs and a table in one corner, and a chair, lounge and table in the other corner. Only noticed smoke once and it was while in port from a deck below. We were going ashore, so didn't matter for long.

Ship never seemed crowded at any time. Only line we ever saw was getting on in Seward and then getting off at ports.

We ate breakfast in both the buffet and the dining room depending on our day. Food always hot. We had the hamburgers for lunch once - OK, but the wait was long for just a few people in line. Dinner in the dining room except for formal night. We chose not to pack formal clothes for our 17 day trip. Portions not huge, but certainly adequate. We ate in the Pinnacle one evening. Steak cooked perfectly and very tender. A great meal. Had open seating and never a wait in the dining room. We eat meals and that is basically all. No anytime pizza or late night options. Saw they had a taco bar in the buffet but didn't try it.

We went to the country show. A couple great dancers and voices, but over all, a mediocre show. Did enjoy the Illusionist. Also went to the late night crew show. It was not well attended but was fun to see their native dances. Skipped a couple other shows - Dancing with the Stars and another with the singers and dancers because we figured the scenery was the better show.

We spent the majority of our time in the Crows nest. The view for the Alaskan sailing was perfect. With daylight until almost 10:30, it was the perfect way to spend the evening, watching the view with a few drinks. Service was a bit slow there. Its a great place for talking and meeting fellow travelers.

Loved the signature suite - the bit of extra room even though we are not in the room much. Our room stewards introduced themselves to us the first even. R-one and Sandy. I will give them a B. We didn't use all the storage space in the room and on the last day when I was packing up and checking every drawer and door, I found the robes in the storage cube at the desk. Some days we got the ice twice a day as requested, other times we did not. We did have slippers on the bed the second night and a tote on the third. Don't know if everyone got this or just suites as this was our first Holland.

We had the hamburgers for lunch once - OK, but the wait was long for just a few people in line.

2014-12-23-12.33.21.jpg

FWIW, I'd like to add I just got off the Oostersdam May 10th and really enjoyed their Lido lunches. I ate the Dive In food several times and thought the hamburgers/chicken burgers were great. Yeah, I had to wait for the burgers about 15 to 20 minutes; however, that is a good thing as they are fresh and made to order. In addition, you don't wait in line for them, they give you a beeper. Basically these are good "restaurant quality" burgers, not "fast food" burgers.

Overall (with the exception of the Pinnacle Grill) the Lido lunches were my favorite food on the ship. The Asian, pizza, pasta, and main buffet rotated stuff; but I always found something that I really liked. I usually rotated among the following: Hawaiian pizza, sweet & sour chicken, meatloaf/mashed potatoes/gravy, fish & chips, deli sandwich, taco/burrito bar, Dive In burger & fries, pasta w/meat sauce, and toasted ham/cheese at the deli bar.

2014-12-23-12.21.43.jpg

We enjoyed our signature suite on the Oosterdam for our Alaskan Cruise last August. Loved the window and sliding doors for extra views. Really loved the deck space to sit and watch for wildlife.

• 4 months later...