What's your packing hack?

I'm doing a story on cruise packing hacks -- you know, using one thing for an alternate purpose to help you pack, such as using dry cleaner bags to keep your clothes from wrinkling or putting makeup and lotion in contact lens cases rather than packing the entire jar. I'm looking for more ideas, so please share your favorite packing hacks here! Thanks.

I'm doing a story on cruise packing hacks -- you know, using one thing for an alternate purpose to help you pack, such as using dry cleaner bags to keep your clothes from wrinkling or putting makeup and lotion in contact lens cases rather than packing the entire jar. I'm looking for more ideas, so please share your favorite packing hacks here! Thanks.

Many of my " cruise clothes " get washed, folded ,and repacked for the next trip .

They come out fresh and crisp with packing folders .

Edited by biker@sea

Well, when we had to start packing any liquids over 4oz in our checked bags to fly cross-country, I was worried about things like sunscreen leaking onto our clean clothes. Now, I put all the bottles in a heavy-duty zip-lock bag, and then pack them into one of those zippered bags that sheet sets usually come packaged in. Not only are the potentially leaky bottles double-bagged, but all the toiletries are together in one clear plastic container. :cool:

For me, its packing cubes of different sizes (small, medium, and large) . Which 1) makes it easy to pack and rearrange in the luggage & 2) makes for great drawer replacements when your room doesn't have a dresser drawer. Ebags, eagle creek, and Amazon sells them.

I put my main wardrobe (14 dresses) in a 1 large and the sweaters plus scarves in other large one. Toiletries and medicine /first aid in one medium, and undies along with swimsuits in other one. Finally, pjs in one small, and plastics bags / ziplock / waterproof swimming pouch in the another one. Then shoes are just wrap in plastics bags and put into luggage - usually using 2, one for the clothing/shoes and one for the toiletries along with everything else.

My packing trick is to carefully fold each item of freshly laundered clothing, include one dryer sheet, and slide the clothing into a gallon-size ziplock bag. I seal it most of the way and then press it between two hardcover books to release the remaining air and zip it closed. Without air in the bag the clothes will not move or wrinkle. Then I can stack all my zipped up clothing bags in the space it would take to pack 1/3 that amount of unbagged clothing. I like it better than packing cubes because I can see what's in each one and not open it till I want to wear it or hang it up. It comes out super fresh cuz of the dryer sheet. After the item is worn I zip it back up and throw it in my suitcase. For my formal/dressy clothing I use the same principle with drycleaning bags still on the hanger, and lay the stack of clothing flat on the bed, fold the ends of the clothes with drycleaning bags to about thirds up to where it will lay neatly on top of all my individual ziplocks and, viola! When I unpack I just lift the whole stack out on their hangers and put all the sealed, ziplocked peices in the drawers. Done. :)

I use zip pencil bags which are available during back to school for underwear and the plastic pencil boxes for travel sized shampoos and toothpaste/brush. I have also saved the cloth bags that target sheet sets come in and use them for dirty undies. You can use large daily pill containers for jewlry.

I use hotel shower caps (or Dollar store 10/$1) to cover shoes to prevent any dirt or dust from transferring to the bag and clothing. I stuff the shoes with socks or underwear(in zip lock bags) to make the most of the available space.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :):) :)

Many, many years ago I watched as a truck loaded with luggage slid on the snow covered tarmack and luggage flew everywhere. So from that time on (back in the 60's) I packed everything in sweater bags and blanket bags and still do so to this day. Some bags have had to be replaced.

Underwear goes into smaller bags which can then be moved directly to the drawers on the ship -- no need to unpack them and have your undies placed in "maybe" dirty drawers.

I use drinking straws to keep thin jewelry chains from tangling. Cut the straw half the length of the necklace. Drop one end through the straw. Clasp the necklace.

I always wrap the inside of suitcase with cry cleaner bags. I line the bottom of the bag with ends coming up the sides. Use as many bags as necessary to completely cover bottom and sides. Pack. When done, place dry cleaner bags across top and tuck down the sides. If suitcase left on dock or airport tarmac in pouring rain, your clothes will stay dry.

Decant most of my lotions and potions into smaller containers. Recycled eye drop bottles are good for things like Argan Oil and contact lens cases are re-purposed into holding hair gel and Vaseline.

I know how many uses I get out of a particular size container for a particular product. If I get a new size container or product I'll test run it at home.

Roll...don't fold.

Use hair bands to tie all your pants/knickers/underwear together so you know you have them all.

I always use heavily scented LUSH soap on holiday so I get 2 pieces and place them in the middle of my clothes and my clothes smell great!

Edited by Velvetwater

I always travel with a small pharmacy...never know what you might need.

To save room from all the boxes and bottles I buy small plastic sizeloc bags..the kind you can get in the jewelry making department at craft stores. Write the name of the med and expiration date with sharpie. I either also write the directions or cut them out and slide them in the bags.

I can get a whole pharmacy into a quart size ziploc.

I use hotel shower caps (or Dollar store 10/$1) to cover shoes to prevent any dirt or dust from transferring to the bag and clothing. I stuff the shoes with socks or underwear(in zip lock bags) to make the most of the available space.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :):) :)

I love this idea and I haven't heard it before. Thanks!

We always save most of the plastic shopping bags we get from various stores.

When packing to leave on a trip, I line my suitcase with various sizes of the plastic bags. (I don't use bags from the grocery store, or any bags that may have gotten "used" on the inside, ... on the outside, either. I want to keep the inside of my suitcase as clean as I can) Also wrap shoes in some of these bags.

During the trip, these bags serve as dirty clothes bags. You can double bag things that are especially dirty, or damp, if needed.

If we buy souvenirs that need extra padding for the trip home, we use these bags.

I also save the plastic cases from linens, etc, and use them to pack my dainties. Sometimes I use them for toiletries as well. And they are good for packing OTC meds, you can fit a lot in a small space and can easily see everything. Other pluses about these cases is that they are sturdy, fasten well, and can be washed & reused many times over.

Edited by Lady Chew

I have an XL Longchamp folding tote that I always bring on trips. It acts as a laundry bag while we are there and can be used as an additional bag for the return journey or just folded back up small and put back away.

I put some of my jewelry in one of those 14 day pill containers, one pair of earrings in each "day". They even fit two of my smaller rings. Then I put the container in a zipper bag just in case one pops open, but it is a very sturdy and easy way to carry earrings.

I know how many uses I get out of a particular size container for a particular product. If I get a new size container or product I'll test run it at home.

This is a key to packing light. Remember that you may shower more than usual on vacation, especially if swimming or wearing sunscreen.

I would cruise with just a carry on bag weighing about 25 pounds if I did not need dressy clothes. Met a couple who managed it for cruises including world cruises! They looked sharp. I have lasted a couple of months in Europe, but can't seem to manage a 14 day cruise with a carry on bag.

I can't believe I am giving away these gems for free, but:

I have the weights of everything I might take entered on a spreadsheet and can plan my overall weight easily and decide whether to bring or leave items more easily.

I used to pack toiletries in a leather dopp kit that probably weighed a couple of pounds empty. I switched to a nylon dopp kit a few years ago and recently started using ziplock plastic bags instead. Taint classy, but items are visible.

Packing cubes are not for me, they add weight.

I save plastic bags my newspapers come in for shoe bags. Socks get stuck in shoes.

I have a 14" X 19" piece of cardboard that I use to fold clothes to fit properly in my carry on bag. Sheldon uses a fancier version.

I used this method to pack my suit in a plastic bag:

I was not as neat as this guy and hated taking the darn thing anyway. My suit came out fine.

The last trick is to pay someone to do your laundry, you are on vacation.

My packing TIP is to take a small hard-sided plastic pet carrier with me...the kind that fits under a plane seat. My checked luggage is a wheeled duffel bag, so I put the carrier inside of that. Works great for things like wine or perfume bottles that can't go in checked luggage. I also bring plastic newspaper sleeves and grocery bags to hold things that might leak.

OH and I cross pack using our own packing cubes,that wat if a case goes missing we both still have some clothes to wear. Also pack a change of clothes in hand luggage.

Sandy in Spain

I hoard all small empty containers I get my hands on. I reuse them when going on vacation and then dispose of them when empty. I have a little less to take home. My sister taked her old underwear, socks and nightgowns and throws them out instead of bringing them home. More room for purchases and less to unpack and launder.

My favorite is I take a small spray bottle and pour in one teaspoon of fabric softener. When I unpack I add one cup of water, mix and spray, shake and hang clothes. It's a knock off of Bount Wrinkle Release.

After losing a crown recently I will always take tempory cement for fillings and crowns. About $3-$4 at Walmart

I try on everything before packing, wash it and then pack it. I also roll my clothes depending on what it is. In the last year or so I have really tried to scale down my packing list as it seems like I always get to the airport with a "heavy" suitcase.

I pack a few pairs of shorts that can are dressier that can be worn in port or in the dining room. They look nice any time of the day. Then I try to make several outfits out of those few pairs. I also only do one dress for formal nights even though there may be more than one. No one is going to notice..

This year I am going to wait until we check into our hotel to go down the street to buy our shampoo and conditioner because I don't see any need to fly with that. We only buy enough for the week and don't fly home with it. If we run low, there's always somewhere in port that sells something we can buy to get through the cruise.