Kettle/Coffee Maker Diamond Princess

Has anyone who has sailed the Diamond Princess in Australian waters had a kettle or coffee maker in their stateroom. I've seen it mentioned in a brochure but I suspect it might be for when they are on their Asian itineraries.

My DH loves an early morning coffee and I know he can put his clothes on and trot downstairs to the cafe for a coffee, or call room service for hot water to put a decent brand of coffee bag in. But having a kettle in the room would be convenient for us and if there is one I would pack some coffee and tea bags.

Thanks in advance.

I believe not allowed :)

I thought you might know why with your past travels on a cruise ships and the potential of fire?

PS all electrical sockets are American, so you'll need a AUS/USA adaptor for any other applications

Edited by bubbles2014

Hi Elise,

I have travelled on the Diamond Princess a couple of times, there was no kettle in the cabin, but on my recent Sapphire Princess cruise around Asia there was a kettle in every cabin.

As the Diamond is taking over the Sapphire's Asia run next season, I believe the kettles will be put in the rooms for the Asian market.

We also had kettles on the Arcadia, loved the convenience for an early morning cup of tea:)

Chez

Hi Elise,

I have travelled on the Diamond Princess a couple of times, there was no kettle in the cabin, but on my recent Sapphire Princess cruise around Asia there was a kettle in every cabin.

As the Diamond is taking over the Sapphire's Asia run next season, I believe the kettles will be put in the rooms for the Asian market.

We also had kettles on the Arcadia, loved the convenience for an early morning cup of tea:)

Chez

Isn't it strange that a kettle is safe in some waters and not in others.

Hi Elise,

Chez

Yes, P&O UK has tea/coffee making facilities in each cabin, plus bikkies, all replenished daily. The Poms love a brew and a bath as most P&O UK ships have shower/bath. No Pom jokes now !!! It would appear the Asians cruising on Sapphire Princess are also partial to a brew.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks everyone for your answers. I wasn't expecting any coffee makers/kettles in the stateroom but in the fine print in the brochure it mentions a coffee maker in the staterooms. I then thought maybe they have them in for the Asian cruises and leave them for Australia, no such luck :)

I wonder if I can, discretely, take a travel kettle with a cut off switch or Korbo makes a plunger element that heats a cup of water. The latter may be worth a try, what's the worse that can happen, they can take it away from me and return it at the end of the voyage.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I wasn't expecting any coffee makers/kettles in the stateroom but in the fine print in the brochure it mentions a coffee maker in the staterooms. I then thought maybe they have them in for the Asian cruises and leave them for Australia, no such luck :)

I wonder if I can, discretely, take a travel kettle with a cut off switch or Korbo makes a plunger element that heats a cup of water. The latter may be worth a try, what's the worse that can happen, they can take it away from me and return it at the end of the voyage.

You could only blow out the power for your section of cabins.

A cruise ship is a floating power generator and the flow of power is directed by the engineers to where it is needed any any particular time....eg the galley or the showlounge for the stage lighting etc. The fuses to your cabin may only be enough for lighting.:eek:

This seems to be an opportunity for Aussie people power to have kettles put in the cabins in Australian waters. People power certainly worked for the removal of compulsory tipping on Australian based ships

It seems ludicrous that kettles in cabins are ok in the Japanese based cruise ships but not on those SAME SHIPS when they operate out of Australia

Perhaps we are too complacent about it. I wonder what would happen if we asked our cabin steward for a kettle? The kettles must be in storage on the ship somewhere if they bring them out when in Japan

John

I took one on Sun at Christmas without any problems. Never used it though, we seemed to be too busy to have tea in our cabin. I just packed it in my main suitcase. It was a small travel kettle with a cut-off.

Do not take the plunger element, it is too much of a fire risk. I've used them for travel in the past and had some close calls - once when I tripped over the cup - only place I could get to a power point was with the cup on the floor, and once when the element fell out of the cup, not sure why it did that.

Isn't it strange that a kettle is safe in some waters and not in others.

The US corporates haven't quite figured out that Australia is like the UK and Asia regarding tea.

It's interesting. Everywhere the UK and most Asian countries have electric jugs in the rooms. But most of Europe and America don't. American hotels sometimes have drip coffee machines though.

I have had travel jugs in my luggage several times when doing med cruises. Only in the case as we also had spent 4 weeks travelling around europe prior and post cruise and used the kettle in the european hotels. Never been questioned about it, and funny enough I only just now after reading your post thought why the heck didnt i use it while on the cruise?? During the cruise we would go up and get our morning coffee and there was my jug in the suitcase under the bed - how stupid am i!!!! will use the old age excuse.

We are going on the diamond around japan next month so it will be interesting to see if a kettle is in the room. If not no big deal but if it is I will certainly use it. We are doing independent travel post cruise but hotels in Japan all have kettles of some sort, not quite the same as ours but they do the job.

This seems to be an opportunity for Aussie people power to have kettles put in the cabins in Australian waters. People power certainly worked for the removal of compulsory tipping on Australian based ships

It seems ludicrous that kettles in cabins are ok in the Japanese based cruise ships but not on those SAME SHIPS when they operate out of Australia

Perhaps we are too complacent about it. I wonder what would happen if we asked our cabin steward for a kettle? The kettles must be in storage on the ship somewhere if they bring them out when in Japan

John

they havent removed the compulsory tipping but added it on to the fare so no one can remove it and its a wonder that RCI or the other US ships havent done the same thing

I just watched a youtube video of the Voyager of the Seas and there was a kettle in the cabin. It was a South Pacific cruise in January, hope they are still there in November!

Chez

You could only blow out the power for your section of cabins.

A cruise ship is a floating power generator and the flow of power is directed by the engineers to where it is needed any any particular time....eg the galley or the showlounge for the stage lighting etc. The fuses to your cabin may only be enough for lighting.:eek:

I don't think you would blow out the power in your section with one travel kettle - after all we plug in laptops, cameras, phones, hair straighteners, heated rollers, hair curlers, hair dryers, etc, etc - all of which can be brought on board.

Do not take the plunger element, it is too much of a fire risk. I've used them for travel in the past and had some close calls - once when I tripped over the cup - only place I could get to a power point was with the cup on the floor, and once when the element fell out of the cup, not sure why it did that.

Thanks for letting me know that - I definitely will not take one of those on board.

Edited by Wastegirl

I don't think you would blow out the power in your section with one travel kettle - after all we plug in laptops, cameras, phones, hair straighteners, heated rollers, hair curlers, hair dryers, etc, etc - all of which can be brought on board.

But those can't boil dry.

I do wonder why they allow the hair straighteners.

The US corporates haven't quite figured out that Australia is like the UK and Asia regarding tea.

It's interesting. Everywhere the UK and most Asian countries have electric jugs in the rooms. But most of Europe and America don't. American hotels sometimes have drip coffee machines though.

I find it funny too about US ships - every one I have been on run out of decent tea bags before the end of the trip. You think they would realise that us Aussies drink tea. It has got to the stage that I pack my English Breakfast Tea Bags so I have a supply.

Edited by Wastegirl

I find it funny too about US ships - every one I have been on run out of decent tea bags before the end of the trip. You think they would realise that us Aussies drink tea. It has got to the stage that I pack my English Breakfast Tea Bags so I have a supply.

DW takes her own too, but then she likes some strange ones.

When she drank coffee she would also take coffee bags and/or some of the Jarrah instant powdered stuff as she hated the syruppy stuff

DW takes her own too, but then she likes some strange ones.

When she drank coffee she would also take coffee bags and/or some of the Jarrah instant powdered stuff as she hated the syruppy stuff

So do I but not English breakfast. Dilmah Ceylon Supreme. But given it's almost impossible to get proper hot water on a ship it really doesn't matter what the tea is. The hot water "machines" on Rhapsody have a maximum temp of 165F. :rolleyes:

Next time I might be tempted to take some cocoa. I read the ingredients list on the hot chocolate packet on Rhapsody. :eek: I'd never heard of some of that stuff!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We take a box of the Nescafe Cappucino sachets on our cruises, handy and drinkable. No moo juice or sugar required.

DW loved those too, not just the Cappucino ones but some of the different varieties too only complain was that she had trouble getting water hot enough, but she likes her cuppa hot enough to burn your mouth.

So do I but not English breakfast. Dilmah Ceylon Supreme. But given it's almost impossible to get proper hot water on a ship it really doesn't matter what the tea is. The hot water "machines" on Rhapsody have a maximum temp of 165F. :rolleyes:

Next time I might be tempted to take some cocoa. I read the ingredients list on the hot chocolate packet on Rhapsody. :eek: I'd never heard of some of that stuff!

SHE always complains about the temperature too. Even on land she always asks for "Extra Hot" I have to say that on our last cruise [not Princess] the Barista eventually realised that she wanted it HOT.