CCL Launches New Brand...fathom

Astro Flyer

Recently there was a thread on this forum about some major news from CCL & apparently this news release about starting a 10th brand...fathom...may have been that big news from CCL.

The press release is lengthy & here is a link to all of the details:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2056611

"fathom™, defining a new travel category it is calling "social impact travel," that will offer consumers authentic, meaningful impact travel experiences to work alongside locals as they tackle community needs. Beginning in April 2016, fathom will embark on seven-day voyages from PortMiami aboard the MV Adonia, a 710-passenger vessel redeployed from Carnival Corporation's P&O Cruises (UK) for the start-up of the new operation".

Edited by Astro Flyer

• Members
Adonia-Royal Princess?

I never had the opportunity to sail on that version of the Royal Princess but have read many good things about the ship so it may be a good choice to begin their new cruise line.

Interesting... an old "R" ship... maybe fathom is the eventual destination of Pacific Princess in a couple of years?

I've read many good things about the R-class ships & if transferring the Pacific to fathom wonder why they didn't do it with the Ocean?

Those R-class ships have been very successful for Oceania (getting the Ocean) and Azamara (both receiving major overhauls by next April) & disappointing that Princess continues to sell them.

I think they may find a market for this product. We have several friends, either DINKs or entrepreneurs where the resource in short supply is time, not money. They have always been cruising-averse because of their social consciences: poorly paid and treated crew, poor countries raped by the cruise lines....we've heard these things for years. CCL has learned that going after the retiree market with Flash Flares is not going to fund their future, and it will be interesting to see how this works out.

I've read many good things about the R-class ships & if transferring the Pacific to fathom wonder why they didn't do it with the Ocean?

Those R-class ships have been very successful for Oceania (getting the Ocean) and Azamara (both receiving major overhauls by next April) & disappointing that Princess continues to sell them.

Well, Princess got a bunch of cash from Oceania for Ocean Princess. I'm sure it's more than P&O got for the transfer of Adonia...:)

Well, Princess got a bunch of cash from Oceania for Ocean Princess. I'm sure it's more than P&O got for the transfer of Adonia...:)

I have not sailed on the Ocean or old Royal so I don't have an opinion about which is preferable. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

The 'old' Royal..
Not the "old" Royal Princess but the Royal Princess II, the 2nd one that was a former "R" ship. She was also the Minerva II before becoming the Royal Princess II. :)

The original "old" Royal Princess sailed as the Artemis for P&O and is now the Artania sailing for Phoenix-Reisen.

Saw Adonia in Barbados in early February while on Ruby Princess around South America cruise and instantly recognized the R Ship. Needs some paint though, was looking a bit rusty. Presumably there will be a drydock first.

Terry

I just took a look at the fathom Passage Contract ... and fathom is referred to as a charterer from P&O ... so who knows how the corporate world handles such things. Here you go:

This Passage Contract constitutes the entire understanding and agreement between You and Carnival plc trading as fathom Travel Ltd., the time charterer of the ship from the owner and operator of P&O Cruises brand ships

Edited by pms4104

I have several friends who do volunteer work on their vacations so I definitely see a need. I have a friend who leads a lot of "service learning trips" at our college and also does these types of trips with her family. They actually took a real vacation last year with no volunteer work scheduled and her kids were confused as they were so used to spending a lot of their vacation doing this type of work.

I think they probably could be just as effective if they used their existing lines and in ports that have volunteer opportunities (I can think of many Caribbean stops that would qualify, Mexican ports and others) - offer excursions that cater to this. Maybe only charge transportation fees or maybe no fee what so ever and people could volunteer at these ports.

Edited by Coral

About the concept though- I do not understand why volunteerism has become such an expensive proposition! $3220 for a week which is largely off the ship seems like a lot of money.

For two people that is about the same price as many other 7 day cruises with lots of port stops.

About the concept though- I do not understand why volunteerism has become such an expensive proposition! $3220 for a week which is largely off the ship seems like a lot of money.

Even land-based voluntourism has gotten ridiculously expensive. Which is dumb, because pretty much every western-based volunteer placement company contracts with the same local providers, so there is very little difference in service no matter what you pay.

The only exception I know of is Cross Cultural Solutions, which run their own placements and do a lot more hand-holding (cultural classes/activities, etc). But I believe they charge ~$1500/week. Compare that to IVHQ (volunteerhq.org), who charges very little (~$200/week for food/lodging if I remember right) but is still a reputable and trustworthy company.

I'd much rather save money on the front end and have more to spend actually helping in the community.

Edited by emeybee

I have several friends who do volunteer work on their vacations so I definitely see a need. I have a friend who leads a lot of "service learning trips" at our college and also does these types of trips with her family. They actually took a real vacation last year with no volunteer work scheduled and her kids were confused as they were so used to spending a lot of their vacation doing this type of work.

I think they probably could be just as effective if they used their existing lines and in ports that have volunteer opportunities (I can think of many Caribbean stops that would qualify, Mexican ports and others) - offer excursions that cater to this. Maybe only charge transportation fees or maybe no fee what so ever and people could volunteer at these ports.

I just posted in the thread on the new fathom board, but like your friends I spend a few weeks every couple of years volunteering, so theoretically this would be a great option for me. But IMO it's just not well-thought out. 3 days of volunteering is way too short to actually accomplish any good. Also, part of the joy of volunteering is getting to know the place/people on a deeper level. Being shepherded around by cruise staff and going home every night to a comfy cabin would pretty much kill the experience for me.

People going on a vacation with the express purpose of volunteering are going to want a more immersive experience. They definitely aren't going to want to spend half their time just getting to/from the destination. I think they would have been better off adding volunteering excursions to their existing cruises.

That is something I am really interested in. I have volunteered in MANY capacities over the years, and still do (agricultural work overseas, teaching English, local community response team to name a few). If everyone gave just a little bit of themselves, it would be a better world. However, another poster did mention that volunteerism has become an expensive proposition. I look forward to going on a work vacation, but the price has to right.