4J cabins. Has anyone been bumped from them

honestguy

I really think your reading comprehension skills need some brushing up. Lets review. It's a cabin that's handicap accessible. It's not a cabin that is reserved exclusively for Handicapped people. Everyday cruise ships sail, with people who are not handicapped staying in handicapped accessible cabins.(shocking I know) If a handicapped person needs the cabin I get bumped. What part of that don't you comprehend? Lastly my moral compass is just fine. I get testy when some self righteous person tells me right from wrong. You know what you can do with your great big moral compass:D

Lol honest guy, you are and i agree with you 100% you are ok with being moved, so that isn't hurting a handicaped person. The other person needs to take the sticknout of their arse!

Like it or not.. That's the way it works.. Just sayin

I booked both those cruises a week before departure, on a solo deal. Just so you know that I didn't book them with any mal intentions. I didn't intentionally ask for them, they were just available at a last min solo discount.

No problem if you booked a week before departure. That meant that someone needing a handicap cabin did not book one. While I loved my 4J, and it was handicap cabin, if I had not had my scooter there is no way I could have navigated the ship walking cause you are at the very front of the ship. Personally, after booking the 4J I'm not sure I would again as it made hubby walk a lot more than if we stayed with midship that we had always booked before.

I'm well aware what PVP stands for and the fact you're getting so testy is because you know it's wrong. BTW, other cruise lines won't do this. It's interesting that you didn't put handicapped in the original thread title. Pretty telling, no?

Sorry if my moral compass is operational. Yours is your own.

What are you? Some kind of self appointed moral police around here? If it is not against the law or Carnival rules, OP is well within his right to book the said cabin. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean everyone must live by your codes or 'moral compass'.

Booked a 4J spa on the Dream, upgraded prior to cruise myself to spa balcony. Person that bought same cabin after me DID get bumped and they were upgraded to a cove balcony.....under the galley and they received spa passes for the week. Met them in the spa and heard their story, they weren't happy about being so far from the spa on the main deck but made the best of it. I was happy I moved myself before being moved.

OMG read the thread. It's a handicap accessible room. If someone needs it I get bumped. Understand. Nobody is stealing rooms from poor crippled people. For god's sake. Seriously just turn around and ride away on the high horse you rode in on.

I asked a simple question, has anyone been bumped from these rooms. I didn't ask lets have a debate on the ethics of booking such rooms.

I did read the thread.

Personally - I doubt that Carnival actually moves people around if a handicapped person tried to book a room. My guess is they say - sorry, sold out - choose another cruise ... Unless maybe the person makes a fuss. So, potentially you could be taking a room from someone who needs it.

Carnival should really change their policy to not allow just anyone to book them, and then just assign them as guarantee bookings close to sailing so they don't go empty.

Anyway - this is a discussion board and all I stated was if it was me, I wouldn't book one. Which is still true. Obviously you feel different so go ahead and enjoy your bigger room.

First of all, you may NOT be upgraded, that's a fallacy. The OP is not cruising until October according to another thread. Booking a handicap cabin simply because it's bigger when you don't need it is akin to parking in a handicapped parking spot because it's closer. Bad form.

Not even close to the same. One is a violation of law, the other is not even breaking a rule.

Also you are incorrect on the upgrade. It must be a lateral or upwards move so if in a 4J all they can do is move you to a non-HC 4J or into a 4K or above. You cannot for any reason be moved below your category.

Edited by Out to sea!

If you don't need it, move. What you're doing is not appropriate, IMHO.

Karma is a b*tch

Get real, the OP is not here complaining they may be moved. They asked a question knowing it is a possibility.

thanks this is what I was wondering, if anyone was ever moved to a balcony. to be honest I don't want to move. I want as far forward as I can get, and I love the idea, that I might hear the waves crashing. When I worked on board, my cabin sat just above the waterline and the sounds of the water was awesome. I miss that.

Just to let you know, PT cabins are great as well as usually the same price as a 4A. :)

Like it or not.. That's the way it works.. Just sayin

I booked both those cruises a week before departure, on a solo deal. Just so you know that I didn't book them with any mal intentions. I didn't intentionally ask for them, they were just available at a last min solo discount.

Booking a week before is way different than booking 5 months before.

Not even close to the same. One is a violation of law, the other is not even breaking a rule.

Also you are incorrect on the upgrade. It must be a lateral or upwards move so if in a 4J all they can do is move you to a non-HC 4J or into a 4K or above. You cannot for any reason be moved below your category.

Actually, Carnival is breaking the law.

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. a Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective on January 1, 2012 that requires that the cruise lines with ships embarking from the USA have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this law the only times it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking or if it's the last available cabin with the specific category. This law does not apply to cruises embarking from non-USA ports.

However as much as things have improved since 2012 regarding booking of Accessible cabins there are still flaws in the process. The main one is that the verification process only requires the passenger(s) to either check a box at tie of doing the on-line check-in certifying the need for the accessible cabin and or complete a special needs form. Due USA Federal Privacy laws the cruise lines are very limited as to what information they can request from the passenger. Therefore unfortunately there are still able body people that are willing to lie to get the larger room. You also have to take into consideration that not all disabilities are noticeable. There were many years that I'm certain other passengers questioned my need for an accessible cabin as I did not use any mobility items but did require the features of a zero-threshold bathroom/shower due to balance issues from MS. A

If the cruise line determines that the passenger(s) falsely certified the need for an accessible cabin than the cruise line can move the passenger(s) without notice to a standard cabin and or banned them all together from the cruise.

Actually, Carnival is breaking the law.

Then you are free to file a lawsuit against Carnival. Should make you and your lawyer extremely rich. :rolleyes: BTW, next time you want to post someone else's work, how about giving them credit for it and posting the link, otherwise it's just plagiarism. :(

BTW, I have friends booked in a 4J-HC next to our 4J-non-HC for our cruise next year and they are younger and more fit than I am. :D They also know, if they are asked, that they may be changed to a different cabin and they won't get their panties in a wad about it if it happens.

Edited by Out to sea!

If you don't need it, move. What you're doing is not appropriate, IMHO.

Karma is a b*tch

What he is doing is totally appropriate. That cabin will be filled on most if not all cruises, usually not by a handicapped cruiser. If the cabin is needed for someone who is handicapped he can be reassigned to a different stateroom.

Swampbabe get off of it already! Would it make you happier if it sat empty thru the entire cruise with blinking lites and a neon sign saying "ONLY FOR THE HANDICAPPED!" Carnival adheres to the law if there is a booked handicapped passenger. This is not rocket science!

1)non handicapped person books handicapped room

2)handicapped person needs room in question

3) non handicapped person gets transferred to an equal value room if not better

4) handicapped person now has the room in question

It just dawned on me......do you protest that non handicapped individual "may" get a BETTER

room!?

FYI....This is life....get over it!

I did read the thread.

Personally - I doubt that Carnival actually moves people around if a handicapped person tried to book a room. My guess is they say - sorry, sold out - choose another cruise ... Unless maybe the person makes a fuss. So, potentially you could be taking a room from someone who needs it.

Carnival should really change their policy to not allow just anyone to book them, and then just assign them as guarantee bookings close to sailing so they don't go empty.

Anyway - this is a discussion board and all I stated was if it was me, I wouldn't book one. Which is still true. Obviously you feel different so go ahead and enjoy your bigger room.

Boy there is a lot of hypotheticals in your post. I think I'll rely on what the employee for carnival said. If a handicapped person books the room your going to get bumped. But this forum is full of people that know how carnival works

SO I posted this thread to get an answer. What's my chances of getting bumped. Didn't know it would turn into a thread on ethics. Listen What I'm doing is allowed within the rules, and also very smart. My room is the highest inside cabin. I can only get moved to an ocean view or higher. Since there is way more balconies than ocean views, there's a good chance if I do get bumped, it will be to a balcony. That's just being savvy. Some people have it some don't. Rag on me all you want. I think it's funny, and if I don't get bumped I'm going to enjoy my huge handicapped cabin I hope the toilet sits up real high too

SO I posted this thread to get an answer. What's my chances of getting bumped. Didn't know it would turn into a thread on ethics. Listen What I'm doing is allowed within the rules, and also very smart. My room is the highest inside cabin. I can only get moved to an ocean view or higher. Since there is way more balconies than ocean views, there's a good chance if I do get bumped, it will be to a balcony. That's just being savvy. Some people have it some don't. Rag on me all you want. I think it's funny, and if I don't get bumped I'm going to enjoy my huge handicapped cabin I hope the toilet sits up real high too

Sounds like you knew the answer before you posted the question.

My mom was bumped on the Conquest last month to a balcony. The PVP was the one that booked it and made a note that she didn't need the handicap cabin. About 2 weeks before the cruise, they called to verify she didn't need it and moved her to a balcony.

Swampbabe get off of it already! Would it make you happier if it sat empty thru the entire cruise with blinking lites and a neon sign saying "ONLY FOR THE HANDICAPPED!" Carnival adheres to the law if there is a booked handicapped passenger. This is not rocket science!

1)non handicapped person books handicapped room

2)handicapped person needs room in question

3) non handicapped person gets transferred to an equal value room if not better

4) handicapped person now has the room in question

It just dawned on me......do you protest that non handicapped individual "may" get a BETTER

room!?

FYI....This is life....get over it!

I think it would. ;) :D

So in answer to the original question.....I have never booked a handicapped accessible room(though both my husband and I are handicapped, we just don't need the room). We were on a cruise, and I can't remember which ship but it was probably 6 or 7 years ago. A honeymooning couple had heard the handicap accessible room was larger so they booked it but they must have claimed they had a handicap. Upon boarding they didn't have the proper paper work and were downgraded to an inside cabin with bunk beds. Not the most desirable thing on your honeymoon.

Again I think this was different because I think they tried to claim they were handicapped and then couldn't prove it and someone else with a handicap did.

Sorry but this is a coin flip. Maybe you will, maybe you won't.

FYI, 4K's are higher that 4J's so there is a higher inside category......but I would almost bet my next paycheck that one of those won't be available to be bumped into. ;)