RSS Explorer deck plan alert

muly

Be advised when booking on Regent Seven Seas Explorer that they made two modifications to deck 14 that are not shown in current catalogs. if you plan to book a cabin on deck 14 verify with the cruise line for the most recent change after they launched marketing material. Penthouse A on deck 14 does not have a bath tub, only shower. the second change is there is no longer a choice for wrap around deck facing aft. They removed the expansive deck and added two extra cabins. As of this posting they have failed to compensate those who booked with the marketing material as a guide for cabin selection:mad:

There are showers only in all PH Suites. There was an issue of space for both a bathtub and shower so they are doing large showers. There are some passengers that prefer bathtubs but most want nice large showers (like they have on the Mariner).

Now that is an interesting piece of marketing data from which they can learn. They market the luxury of having the butler draw a bath for guests, when you have identified marketing research that says "most people prefer a large shower". I guess they need to coordinate marketing research with marketing content. How funny.

So, a few more cabins I wouldn't book on Explorer; I am one of those people who prefer a tub. You would think the designers wouldn't only think of the "most people" in every single move they make. Of course, it's cheaper for them.

It sounded to me as if the tub and shower would not fit into the PH suites very well - perhaps a design problem that wasn't recognized early on. As we know, Regent spent a lot of money to change Mariner bathtub (with a shower) suites into shower only suites and they are the first ones to be booked. I have verified that most of the other suites have bathtubs so there are plenty of bathtubs for passengers that prefer them.

How many price levels up do we have to go, in order to get a bath tub, these days?

Actually, you have to go down levels - not up - go figure! The "Superior" and "Concierge" suites have bathtubs! Hope this link takes you to the layout page of "Superior" suites: http://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_explorer/suites/default.aspx#Content

P.S. The link only takes you to the main page of suites. Just click on one of the concierge or superior suites and then click on layout.

Edited by Travelcat2

You are making a huge assumption that people choose shower only and that is why those cabins book first. There are many variables considered by travelers who have different preferences. Personally, I prefer a large deck, which was taken away, which was the reason for this alert. The tub while secondary in consideration, is two significant changes after they marketed and sold cabins based on that print material. This is about truth in advertising and ethics. I expect more from Regent.

You are making a huge assumption that people choose shower only and that is why those cabins book first. There are many variables considered by travelers who have different preferences. Personally, I prefer a large deck, which was taken away, which was the reason for this alert. The tub while secondary in consideration, is two significant changes after they marketed and sold cabins based on that print material. This is about truth in advertising and ethics. I expect more from Regent.

muly: I certainly understand your disappointment of having the suite that you booked changed. IMO, this is a different issue than the shower in PH suites. I spent some time reading about "new" ships and, what has occurred on the Explorer is not unusual (although it does not change your disappointment). In terms of "truth in advertising" and "ethics", there is no doubt some verbiage (small print) in the contract that protects Regent when they need to make these types of changes. Can you change your suite for your Explorer cruise or is it booked up? The original plan (as shown on another thread) is something that I have not seen on any ship (wraparound balcony that is neither forward or aft but in the middle of the ship).

Unfortunately, the risks for booking a new ship are many. At one time we were determined to be on the maiden voyage. However, for many reasons, we are happy that we decided to wait a few months to try the Explorer. Only time will tell if our suite is the same when we sail at the end of next year.

I can't speak for tubs on other ships but the ones on the Mariner were an issue unless you are tall and fairly flexible. The sides are very high and the bottom of the tub is several inches higher than the floor of the bathroom, making getting out tricky since you are stepping down and over a high "wall".

I would never book a tub cabin on the Mariner.

Just my point of view.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

I can't speak for tubs on other ships but the ones on the Mariner were an issue unless you are tall and fairly flexible. The sides are very high and the bottom of the tub is several inches higher than the floor of the bathroom, making getting out tricky since you are stepping down and over a high "wall".

I would never book a tub cabin on the Mariner.

Just my point of view.

Peggy

Totally agree. I am very flexible but short. The tubs on Mariner are a fall hazard waiting to happen. I booked one once only, never again. Plus I like the nice showers on Mariner.

We had Seven Seas Aft on Mariner, and had no issues with the tub. Mark would have preferred the separate shower but he managed. Then we had something else, I'm drawing a blank; big suite on front of ship but not Master. Anyway, I think it had separate tub and shower. Even though we loved Mariner, those were our only two cruises on her.

Now that is an interesting piece of marketing data from which they can learn. They market the luxury of having the butler draw a bath for guests, when you have identified marketing research that says "most people prefer a large shower". I guess they need to coordinate marketing research with marketing content. How funny.

I personally cannot imagine asking my butler to draw a bath. We also do not ask them to pack or unpack (except one time when the luggage arrived VERY late). While I have not seen advertisements of a butler drawing a bath, agree that it is in conflict with reality. We almost cancelled a cruise once because we could not get a shower suite on the Mariner. Most passengers do find their bathtub/shower combination to be quite risky in terms of falling due to the large step into and out of the tub. Additionally, there is a low ceiling when you are in the bathtub -- the whole thing just doesn't work well for many people.

I am hoping that everyone that has booked a PH suite on the Explorer realizes that there is no bathtub. It would not be a good thing to learn about it when they walk into their suite next year!

Muly, We too are booked on Deck 14 on Explorer in September 2015 and have just been advised by our travel agent that we will not have the end cabin which we originally booked - there will now be a Concierge suite on the end. We were told a couple of months ago that there would no longer be a bath (tub to the readers in the States), but we accepted that. But we're very disappointed that Regent have changed the deck layout; we booked the end cabin because we want to be on the end. We're waiting for our travel agent to hear back from Regent in the States but we don't hold out any hope that they will revert back to the original layout which, in our opinion will disappoint all those passengers who have booked cabins 1407 and 1408. Surely we have been missold as we and many other passengers booked their cabins from the original brochure.

Motone - I think most of us can very easily understand your anger (the term "disappointment" falls far short of adequately describing the situation and trivializes what is actually taking place).

It might be "disappointing" if a waiter announces that the kitchen has run out of chocolate sauce to put on one's ice cream sundae. What is happening here however, is far different (along with the associated and considerable costs involved) and is quite a bit more significant, in my view.

Based upon the marketing literature that was provided by Regent itself, you selected a specific "product" with a specifically associated location, attributes, and appointments. A specific price was established by Regent for that product which was presumably and most-assuredly based upon those specifically advertised features.

Then, after having to reserve that suite (the "product") far in advance (mainly and intentionally due to market pressures artificially created by Regent's own "hype" and "fanfare"), and having to pay a hefty advance deposit for it, you now find that the "product" you thought you were "buying" has now been changed and that some of the important features that were specific and unique parts of your selection criteria have now been removed.

There have been many past discussions on this board with respect to the principles that seem to guide Regent's operating procedures. It always comes down to what is "legal" versus what is "fair" to the customers. Regent consistently (and disappointingly) always seems to make decisions based only upon what is a minimum "legal" obligation.

Edited by pingpong1

Pingpong1 - many thanks for your feedback. You have nailed the situation on the head. The wording in your message made such good sense and I was being very polite by saying we are disappointed - what I really meant to say was "we're bloody angry" but we're not supposed to swear on these threads! Our travel agent has heard back from Regent in the States this afternoon saying that we can either cancel the cruise and get our deposit back or choose another suite. No suggestion of a goodwill gesture, i.e. an onboard credit or suchlike. Their attitude comes across as being very uncaring, but then they probably have very long Waitlists for suites 1407 and 1408 so have no worries whether we cancel or not. We're now trying to decide what to do. Having just checked Regent's website, all 'A' Penthouse grades on most, if not all cruises are on Waitlist so we would have to either go down to a 'B' or a 'C' - that is if any rooms are left, or pay more for a higher grade suite. I must admit this has left a nasty taste in the mouth. I know it's not the end of the world but when you sit down and decide on what suite and the location you want and then pay the deposit, you expect to get just that. I'm going to take this up with Regent direct so if I receive any word from them, I'll let you/everyone know.

I must admit I don't really understand why this situation engenders this level of anger. May I ask , if those penthouse cabins with the wrap around port had not existed from the beginning, you would have not booked the cruise? Furthermore, other than putting a deposit a few months ago (which now Regent rightfully offers to give 100% back to you), what are "the associated and considerable costs involved" that pingpong 1 refers to?

Sure, I can understand why Regent would have looked better if they offered you some freebie, but frankly I can't see where the pax that booked the now non-existent wrap around deck cabins have been harmed.

I don't grasp the associated costs, or whatever they are, either. If I didn't want the suite without the end/wrap balcony, I would think a refund would be adequate; aren't the cruises far enough away that there isn't non-refundable air yet?

I wouldn't book that suite because there's no bathtub, and I would be very disappointed if I didn't know there wasn't a bathtub before I boarded. And I would never ask the butler to draw my bath; how could he know what temperature I would want? In the safari camps in S. Africa, one special night had baths drawn and rose petals floating. By the time I got to it, it was lukewarm so I drained it and re-drew it.

I agree with Cruiseluv! We're talking about a ship whose construction has hardly started and that isn't a copy of another ship. Do we really think that there won't be more "changes"? Do we even expect that the ship will be "finished" in the published time. If it was me, I'd be happy that I was fortunate to get on an early sailing.