Superbugs 'spread by hospital wet wipes'

Canugess

Understood. However, a cruise ship does not have the same number of immune-compromised and ill patients as a hospital. I'm not sure it's fair to compare the two. I will continue to use my disinfecting wipes in hotel rooms and cruise ship staterooms. :)

The article highlights the importance of reading the instructions and following them. For these types of products to disinfect, most require that the surface be wet with the product for a certain period of time in order to be effective.

The article highlights the importance of reading the instructions and following them. For these types of products to disinfect, most require that the surface be wet with the product for a certain period of time in order to be effective.

And for most products sold to consumers, the concentration of the sanitizing agent is so low that the "contact time" is not feasible. This is why the EPA doesn't have any of these wipes on their list of effective agents against noro virus. And you will note the study did not include any viruses.

Edited by chengkp75

Did the OP read the original article? I suppose if you go from room to room with the same wipe, you will spread the germs around. I use wipes in my cruise room and throw it away. I don't go down the hall wiping down everyone's cabin with my wipe.

I don't know why this issue bother some people. I'm sure there are people who NEVER wash their hands after ANY activity and they can claim that they stay healthy. I'm not sure about the others they would be in contact with!

Some people have issues like COPD or maybe suppressed immune systems and taking that extra precaution makes sense. For all of you healthy ones that have no issues, your opinions are really not relevant to people who might struggle with health concerns.

Exactly what I was going to say. In the department I work at the hospital we actually have to demonstrate that we know how to properly use them and that we how how long it takes for the "bug" to die after being wiped on the surface. (it says it on the friggin container, people!!!)

The reason they are saying things are spreading is not because these wipes don't work, it's user error.

For instance: Someone uses piece of equipment wipes it down. Doesn't know how to properly use wipe, doesn't wait proper amount of time to use equipment again, and uses on another patient before they should. It has nothing to do with the wipe.

Did the OP read the original article? I suppose if you go from room to room with the same wipe, you will spread the germs around. I use wipes in my cruise room and throw it away. I don't go down the hall wiping down everyone's cabin with my wipe.

I don't know why this issue bother some people. I'm sure there are people who NEVER wash their hands after ANY activity and they can claim that they stay healthy. I'm not sure about the others they would be in contact with!

Some people have issues like COPD or maybe suppressed immune systems and taking that extra precaution makes sense. For all of you healthy ones that have no issues, your opinions are really not relevant to people who might struggle with health concerns.

The point is, markanddonna, that if you use the same wipe on several surfaces, you may be transferring a bug from a surface where it would have done no harm onto a surface where it may do harm. You should either, not reuse a wipe on more than one surface, or ensure that you have a detailed system where you go from high risk surfaces to low risk in the correct order.

This opinion may, of course, be irrelevant.

I will continue to use my disinfecting wipes in hotel rooms and cruise ship staterooms. :)

And, don't forget airplanes! Folks laugh at me for wiping down my seat, until I show them how filthy the Chlorox wipe is, when I'm finished. :eek:

On airplanes, where I think far more illnesses are passed than in cruise ship cabins, the arms on seats, tray tables, buttons to control TV's on airlines that have TV's, seatbelt buckles....... I wipe them all down with chlorox wipes.

The point is, markanddonna, that if you use the same wipe on several surfaces, you may be transferring a bug from a surface where it would have done no harm onto a surface where it may do harm. You should either, not reuse a wipe on more than one surface, or ensure that you have a detailed system where you go from high risk surfaces to low risk in the correct order.

Only to those who disagree. Those of us who understand how these things actually work have no issue with your opinion. ;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

Understood. However, a cruise ship does not have the same number of immune-compromised and ill patients as a hospital. I'm not sure it's fair to compare the two. I will continue to use my disinfecting wipes in hotel rooms and cruise ship staterooms. :)

It is completely fair. The premise is that the wipes really don't do much and all you do by using them is create the opportunity for super bugs to take hold. There is NO reason at all to use wipes in your cabin unless you are already ill.

It's like hand sanitizer, they become an excuse to not carry out proper hygiene and cleaning practices anymore. Why clean it properly with soap and water when you can just get a handy wipe out?

As for in a ship cabin/airline seat - I would assume you use a fresh one for each single surface. Otherwise you are likely to be causing your own cross-contamination.

I think it's very relevant if people think they need to use wipes.

:eek: As an added reminder- put the used wipes in the bin, not down the toilet where they'd block the system.

Edited by gaelsail