Alaska in September?

GeezLouise1

I really want to go to Alaska again, but no holiday time available until September, last half. Is this too late? We are looking at Vancouver return. We went in early July last time and it was spectacular. Any recommendations? Too cold, foggy, rainy? Will anything be open still in the towns? Don't really want to wait until next year.....:p Many thanks for any recommendations.

Edited by GeezLouise1

It will probably be a bit more rainy if you look at average rainfall numbers.

As long as cruise ships are around, shops will be open. September is also the month for HUGE sales discounts at each port as they reduce inventory prior to season closure.

Edited by Crew News

Like any time in Alaska it will either be raining or it won't :)

Out of Vancouver normally very smooth- out of Seattle can be iffy in September due to storms. We have pretty much been in summer since mid May so we may end up having a long summer with great weather in September.

We are sailing out of Seattle on Sept 12. I kind of like it when the ship rocks and rolls- like the feeling of being at sea.

I really want to go to Alaska again, but no holiday time available until September, last half. Is this too late? We are looking at Vancouver return. We went in early July last time and it was spectacular. Any recommendations? Too cold, foggy, rainy? Will anything be open still in the towns? Don't really want to wait until next year.....:p Many thanks for any recommendations.

Our first Alaska cruise departed on 18 Sept. For the most part things are open in ports, but some had started closing down by then (we were the last sailing for Alaska that year - any cruise line).

We found the weather quite similar to the weather we had in early June (our next Alaska cruise). But, the dark (nighttime) comes earlier than July.

We sailed Statendam this past September 20th on the 7 night round trip out of Vancouver. Sunny every day but one, but did hear the previous week was quite wet. Bit of a gamble but what worthwhile is not? :)

We went on the last HAL Alaska cruise last Sept. 23, from Vancouver, and had the greatest weather. The captain proclaimed it the best cruise of the entire season weather wise.

When we got to Juneau, folks were saying it was raining for over 20 days, but cleared up, and got sunny the day we docked.

Similar stories for Skagway, Ketchican, and Glacier bay. I dressed in layers, and ended up taking the jacket and shirt off most times.

We had rain on one evening during the entire 7 day cruise while on ship.

On returning we saw hundreds of dolphins swimming and frolicking near our ship. It was an awesome sight.

Of course it can be rainy any day at any or all ports, as its a crap shoot.

Would not hesitate to do Alaska in late September again.

Our first cruise was out and back Vancouver late September. Had some rain first sea day, clear blue sky and bright sunshine in Ketchikan, low ceiling in Skagway but got to do a helicopter flight to a glacier, fabulous. Intermittent drizzle and sun in Juneau. Always expect wind in Skagway as it pours down form the mountains.

had fabulous sales both on land and on the ship - our was the last Alaska sailing of that ship so they were dumping their inventory before they got to Hawaii.

I'd do it again in heartbeat. Enjoy, m--

My only reservation about September is that you are down to about 12 hours of daylight as you get to the equinox, whereas in May you get closer to 18 hours to daylight. This can make for much more opportunity for activity in Juneau and Skagway where you are docked late.

But the only bad cruise is the one you don't take! :)

It's a gamble but the weather might still be decent. We did a B2B from 9/4 through 9/18 and I never needed anything outside but a light jacket. The weather was actually better the second week.

Our first cruise was out and back Vancouver late September. Had some rain first sea day, clear blue sky and bright sunshine in Ketchikan, low ceiling in Skagway but got to do a helicopter flight to a glacier, fabulous. Intermittent drizzle and sun in Juneau. Always expect wind in Skagway as it pours down form the mountains.

had fabulous sales both on land and on the ship - our was the last Alaska sailing of that ship so they were dumping their inventory before they got to Hawaii.

I'd do it again in heartbeat. Enjoy, m--

I love end of season cruises. Ports are generally less crowded, hot places are a little cooler, and oh my yes the end of season sales are a nice benefit. We were on the last New England cruise 16 years ago and I still have both of the really nice cotton pullovers I got dirt cheap on the ship.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

A co-worker went to Alaska in September two years ago.... yep prices are cheap, but the weather was stormy.... the boat could not dock in Ketchikan.

I cruised from Vancouver to San Francisco a week later. The Pacific storms along Oregon made the Princess four hours late pulling into port. I remember dining room dishes crashing to the ground while I was eating in the rough seas.

Our first cruise to Alaska was 18 years ago. I still remember bundling up to be out on deck, listening to the glaciers calve, being served hot pea soup, then wrapping up in a wool blanket and relaxing on a deck chair to just sit and listen, and take it all in. I loved it! It might have been misting, but wasn't raining the day we were in GNP. We always take rain jackets with the belief that rain will never ruin the day or the experience for us. A little cool air in September is welcomed.!

Like others have said, we were on the last sailing in September. For us it rained every day, not all day but we did have rain daily. It was also chilly, I lived in sweatshirts the whole time. Shops were limited and had great sales. Get used to hearing - you're our last tour or whatever. Just plan on layers and pack an umbrella. The scenery is still beautiful.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by ksqueak

We did the last cruise of the season to Alaska a few years ago and had gorgeous weather. I think we had a little rain the last day.

One advantage of the late cruise is that some ships will have left Alaska, so ports won't be as crowded. Google "whats in port" and you'll find a website that lists cruise ports and the ships that will be there each day. I think we had only one other ship with us most days. It was nice not to have huge crowds.

As someone else mentioned, it will get dark earlier, but that's the only minus I experienced and it was a minor thing for us.

We did the last cruise of the season to Alaska a few years ago and had gorgeous weather. I think we had a little rain the last day.

One advantage of the late cruise is that some ships will have left Alaska, so ports won't be as crowded. Google "whats in port" and you'll find a website that lists cruise ports and the ships that will be there each day. I think we had only one other ship with us most days. It was nice not to have huge crowds.

As someone else mentioned, it will get dark earlier, but that's the only minus I experienced and it was a minor thing for us.

Thanks for the what's in port info...will be helpful...am really soaking up Alaska info...but still confused and undecided on August or September:eek:...am trying to wait until the 2016 repo cruises come out...thinking perhaps take one down to San Diego after Alaska...brother and Sil live near there...

We found many of the shops were closed for the season in Skagway. Stock was limited to XL, XXL and above. But we don't go to alaska to shop.

The limited sunlight was a factor for us- we are deck rats and consider sail in and sail away (basically all the movement time in the inside passage) as scenic cruising.

As no one has mentioned it, the high country above Skagway will likely have fabulous fall color. Breathtaking. If you are considering southbound from anchorage, expect leaves there too. If the weather cooperates of course. I was more impressed than the fall leaves in New England. And that's coming from a Yankee ( whose in danger of being shaken off from the family tree for saying that).

Thanks for the what's in port info...will be helpful...am really soaking up Alaska info...but still confused and undecided on August or September:eek:...am trying to wait until the 2016 repo cruises come out...thinking perhaps take one down to San Diego after Alaska...brother and Sil live near there...

We chose the last Alaska cruise of the season because we wanted to tack on the first three days of the repo. In our case, it took us to San Francisco. We got to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge!

We were in Alaska the second week of September in 2007. Juneau was in the 50s with occasional rain (we got our helicopter on a glacier excursion in, many others' were cancelled); Glacier Bay was cold in the high 30s while it was in the mid 70s with blues skies in Sitka and Ketchikan.

We chose the last Alaska cruise of the season because we wanted to tack on the first three days of the repo. In our case, it took us to San Francisco. We got to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge!

Sailing under the Golden Gate was a bucket list item for me...lived there as a young child...we did the Westerdam repo last year Vancouver to San Diego...with a sail in to San Francisco..it was amazing:) I think I will email PCP to find out when the 2016 repos will come out...think that would be a wonderful trip...thanks again for the port info.

We cruised to Alaska in June 2008. Since we loved it so much, we are planning to drive to Alaska for the summer within the next five years (haven't done any research yet) and I've wondered what Sept weather is like in Alaska. Glad to read September isn't overly cold yet.

I did an Alaska Cruise last year in June. My cousin did one in September. I had so much rain that several ship sponsored shore excursions were cancelled due to weather conditions. My cousin had no rain at all, not even in Ketchican. Her temperatures were warmer than mine, too. I had more daylight hours, but that was the major difference. I think my next Alaska cruise will be in September!

We are booked on the last Alaskan cruise of the season out of Seattle on September 19th. I am prepared for rain, but the reports here are making me hopeful!

The last time I went to Alaska we did it the first week of September and we had a glorious day in Juneau and the last sea day. The rest were either rainy or overcast and gloomy.