Pacific Princess Question

Woobstr112G

Looking at the possibility of a 17 day Panama Canal cruise in May of 2017. Was curious about the very forward PH suites. Since this ship is smaller, is there a lot more movement? Also, are the balcony doors locked while the ship is underway. If anyone has any pictures, I'd love to see them. Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

Looking at the possibility of a 17 day Panama Canal cruise in May of 2017. Was curious about the very forward PH suites. Since this ship is smaller, is there a lot more movement? Also, are the balcony doors locked while the ship is underway. If anyone has any pictures, I'd love to see them. Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

I can't speak to the suite, but , yes, there is more movement forward. I never found it a problem, myself, but some people do.

In French Polynesia, I was occasionally bothered by slight sea sickness on the ship, but only at the very front (for me, that was the Pacific Lounge, the Fitness Center and the Cabaret Lounge). I had no issues anywhere else on the ship. We heard from others in the cabins at the very front that they were similarly bothered. Since I am not often affected that way, I have to say that I think motion is more pronounced on the small ships.

I was in suite 7005 on the Ocean Princess on a trans-Atlantic from Civitavecchia to Fort Lauderdale in December 2014. The forward suite in the Pacific Princess should be identical.

The suite was huge. It has separate living and sleeping rooms with a curtain separating them, and they are really separate. It also has a second bathroom (with sink and toilet) off the living room which is very convenient when two people are getting ready for dinner.

It does not have a separate shower - the shower is located in the whirlpool tub. The sides of the tub are very high, and it was a problem for my wife who has some problem with her knees.

The balcony is large with doors from the living room and large floor-to-ceiling windows from the bed room.

The balcony doors were not locked at any time. However they were not sliding doors. The balcony doors opened outward from the room into the balcony. When we were underway, they were difficult to open against the wind - and there were several times when they were completely unusable. My wife could not open them by herself underway even on relatively calm days.

Some of the time underway, the water was coming over the bow onto the balcony - even though were on deck 7 immediately under the bridge. In fact, we could see on the bridge camera that the bridge was using its windshield wipers even though it was not raining - the water was reaching that high. The water was leaking under the balcony doors and the cabin steward had put towels at the bottom of the doors to absorb the water. Certainly there was no way to open the balcony doors that day.

That forward balcony was fantastic when leaving and entering port - just not so good underway crossing the Atlantic.

The aft balconies were much more usable, but you may not have that option - they sell out a lot sooner.

You may not have the same problems on a Panama Canal cruise that we had on a trans-Atlantic. The seas may not be as rough.

We had some up and down movement on some days, but we were crossing the Atlantic. Neither my wife nor I has a problem with seasickness, and it didn't bother us. However, my wife was not able to use the shower on some of the sea days.

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and booked an S2 (6088). Our first cruise with "Elite" status....:):):)

Bob

Congrats on reaching Elite status, Bob and Holly! Haven't you had fun getting there?

Jan

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and booked an S2 (6088). Our first cruise with "Elite" status....:):):)

Bob

We promise to take care of it for you-we have this cabin in August in Alaska. Decided against the wonderful views that the forward cabins would offer for the balcony usefullness when underway. Looking forward to it for sure!

Wonder if she will be gone from the fleet in 2017?

My guess is that they are going to rework her in a similar fashion to the Island Princess. The deck plans have a before and after May 2016 (I think that is the date) set of plans.

Edited by 5waldos

Bob

Congratulations.

You get more movement

a. From being fore

b. Because she is a much smaller ship (one of the reasons I love the smaller ship is the movement of the ocean).

Never known any balcony door to be locked other than by the occupant.

Enjoy

My guess is that they are going to rework her in a similar fashion to the Island Princess. The deck plans have a before and after May 2016 (I think that is the date) set of plans.

No all the ships are undergoing a cabin category change. That's why you see the before and after dates on the deck plans.

We had heard from a Captain that the Pacific will be sold after the Ocean goes.

No all the ships are undergoing a cabin category change. That's why you see the before and after dates on the deck plans.

We had heard from a Captain that the Pacific will be sold after the Ocean goes.

Seems almost inevitable.

Also very very sad.

We spent 104 days on the Pacific Princess - it is a fine ship. I feel it handles seas very well - we were in cabin 7016.

Wow 7016 on Pacific Princess was the first cabin we ever sailed in, got a lot to answer for that little cabin.

We've been on the R ships several times, including Tahiti to Hawaii in a forward facing cabin. While we enjoyed the view, especially sailing into port, and anchoring / mooring activity on the foredeck, the balcony is unusable while underway. There is definitely more motion in the bow. We find it quite pleasant, but many would not.

Ah- so the note on the website deckplans is generic and not specific. Since I had only looked at the PP, and only to the current plans, I had no way of knowing.

Correct. I don't see them spending a dime on upgrades when the ship may go away.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hi Bob, Congrats. on your Elite status. You have finally made it. :) Too bad you can't bring up the old Renaissance Cruise posts. I remember many posts stating that the ships were really not designed for rough weather. We had a mid ship balcony and were in the Caribbean and there was one day that didn't look bad outside but we felt it all day. With that being said the small ships are classy and so NOT like the normal Princess ships. Yes they are small but elegant and really easy to get around. Jak and I thought the food a tad better then the bigger ships and the crew we had were excellent. If you can put up with a bit of movement I don't think you will have any problems with the ship. Enjoy.

Joe

I've spent about a hundred nights on her. I think no announcement will be made until after the 50th anniversary cruise in December, but I'm guessing she will be gone sometime in 2016 and the new Royal-class build will be the third Pacific Princess.

I've spent about a hundred nights on her. I think no announcement will be made until after the 50th anniversary cruise in December, but I'm guessing she will be gone sometime in 2016 and the new Royal-class build will be the third Pacific Princess.

That is so depressing. :(

Correct. I don't see them spending a dime on upgrades when the ship may go away.

We heard several times last winter that the funds were already limited for upholstery/carpeting-type upgrades. But that ship is so special that I'm willing (more than) to put up with some wear and tear to enjoy cruising on it.

That is so depressing. :(

I know. I know. I've had good times, and now and then, not so good times aboard her. But I will be terribly sorry to see her go. I think it's inevitable. The rationale for having one small ship is less convincing than the rationale for having two.

• 2 weeks later...

Sliding a bit off topic does anyone know [when looking at the Pacific Princess deck plans] what the green 'thingies' are in several different public locations? They kind of look like trees or large potted plants but I'm not sure. Are they?