Power Strip

micruiser12

Can anyone tell me if on the most recent cruises they are allowing power strips? Last year I think we brought one, but I thought I heard somewhere that it might not be allowed now? Anyone taken one onboard or told that they can't be used? We don't want to bring one if it will be taken from us.

Can anyone tell me if on the most recent cruises they are allowing power strips? Last year I think we brought one, but I thought I heard somewhere that it might not be allowed now? Anyone taken one onboard or told that they can't be used? We don't want to bring one if it will be taken from us.

I have never had a problem bringing a power strip on board, although I am sure there are others who will tell you differently. I always have one in my carry-on luggage.

Our cabin steward saw we had one and he politely requested we only use it when the cabin is occupied reporting an earlier sailing had experienced issues with one. He said if there was a problem with ours he would get in trouble.

We complied and only turned it on to charge things when we were in the cabin.

Our sailing was just last month.

We used a three prong plug in instead of the power strip and we used the USB 3 plug in power plug for our tablet and phone. Both can be purchase on Amazon. Our Butler did request that we only use them when we were in the cabin. That was one week ago. Hope this helps

They were taking them on May 1 Alaska cruise but did not take my Belkin 3 outlet and dual USB. Table was full when we got off. Several rice cookers also!

I was on this same cruise and the table was full of confiscated items, and yes I saw the cooking pots and other things too! Bizarre! Not sure what people were thinking.... :rolleyes::p

We had a power strip confiscated on the Reflection in January, but was able to recover it when packing; however, as a slow learner, We used it again on the Summit in April with no problem. Have since purchased the Belkin adapter.

I was on this same cruise and the table was full of confiscated items, and yes I saw the cooking pots and other things too! Bizarre! Not sure what people were thinking.... :rolleyes::p

Up until a few years ago, Celebrity actually had on their prohibition list, hand grenades. Wife always packed them before we saw that.!!!!!!

Try a Belkin adapter. You can find them at Amazon.com. There are 3 U.S. Outlets and 2 USB outlets in one unit that fits into 1 outlet. Very good for charging multiple ite,s at once.

PLEASE....if you decide to take a Belkin Adapter, remember that it is rated for 110V NOT 220V.

DO NOT PLUG IT INTO A 220V OUTLET WITH AN ADAPTER UNLESS YOU LIKE SPARKS, POTENTIALLY FLAMES AND NO LIGHTS IN YOUR CABIN/HOTEL ROOM AFTER THE FUSE BLOWS>

I have attempted to read all thru the doccs to see where the power strip reads a "prohibited item"...anyone enlighten me exactly where it states that please.

We are new to X and have always been able to bring one on Princess. As we will be in the UK pre and post cruise, we would be bringing one with us to use there.

I'm not sure how the Belkin model would adapt to our Aussie appliances?

I have attempted to read all thru the doccs to see where the power strip reads a "prohibited item"...anyone enlighten me exactly where it states that please.

We are new to X and have always been able to bring one on Princess. As we will be in the UK pre and post cruise, we would be bringing one with us to use there.

Do not use the Belkin in the UK or Australia. Both are 240V countries and the belkin is 120V only.

Many modern chargers for items like iPhones, iTouch, iPads, and the Apple laptops will charge on either 110 or 220 power. Most cruise ships we have been on have several of each type of outlet, so all you need is a cheap plug converter - slot to round plugs!

However, you need to make sure your item's charger is designed for the 100-240V and 50/60 HZ power.

It can make a power strip unnecessary.

Edited by DaKa2002
Add info

I recommend the Outlets To Go 4 strip by Monster Power. It supports up to 300V, it's compact and not that expensive. A MUST for any traveler. Among my favorite travel gadgets.

Edited by Pipo

It used to be in the ebrochures but don't think its there anymore. They do have a prohibition on extension cords and actually a power strip is an extension cord.

October 2014 - Celebrity Summit - Bayonne Embarkation - Called to the "Naughty Room" because of Power Strip in checked bag. Strip was eventually released when engineer discovered it was fuse-protected.

May 2015 - Celebrity Summit - Bayonne Embarkation - Same power strip, same bag, same trip to "Naughty Room" - refused release, power strip confiscated, returned at disembarkation.

Consistency, thy name is Celebrity

PLEASE....if you decide to take a Belkin Adapter, remember that it is rated for 110V NOT 220V.

DO NOT PLUG IT INTO A 220V OUTLET WITH AN ADAPTER UNLESS YOU LIKE SPARKS, POTENTIALLY FLAMES AND NO LIGHTS IN YOUR CABIN/HOTEL ROOM AFTER THE FUSE BLOWS>

Thanks for this important reminder. I've pretty much stopped taking the Belkin because of it, and have been using a simple three-outlet block instead.

I recommend

1) the Anker 40W USB charger which is 110/220 friendly...charges all of your USB chargeable devices at the same time (amazon). I can charge our two phones, kindle, ipad and GPS at various times.

2) a simple grounded 115V three outlet plug (to plug in a laptop)

3) an adapter for a grounded EU (two round pins) to allow me to plug in my laptop charger which is 110/220V into 220V (not needed on the ship...but needed in hotels to plug in the USB charger or laptop charger).

4) If going to the UK, I take a grounded UK adapter for the laptop (same).

I actually have a power cable for the Anker charger that's very clever...it's a 4' cord with an EU round pins plug which is plugged in to it's own round pin to US pins adapter. It came with some sony device....probably can be bought online.

Think about why you really need a power strip....with the number of devices that are USB chargeable, the Anker may reduce the need.

I recommend

1) the Anker 40W USB charger which is 110/220 friendly...charges all of your USB chargeable devices at the same time (amazon). I can charge our two phones, kindle, ipad and GPS at various times.

Just to confirm --- this is dual voltage, so no issues using an adapter to plug it directly into a European outlet, right? (Unlike the issue with the Belkin...)

......Think about why you really need a power strip....with the number of devices that are USB chargeable, the Anker may reduce the need.
(1) Already have it -- so no need to purchase anything additional.

(2) It has a good surge suppressor

(We traveled with people who had their devices zapped by power surges without one)

and

(3) The long cord allows for extensive use of plugged in devices a good distance away from the desk without needing to run down the battery.

It is good that there are so many different options available to suit various preferences.