World cruise gifts from the cruise line

Wayfairers

I recall someone years ago telling me that they received gifts from the cruise line during world cruises such as coats before the cold ports, bags before the first port and other such items. With most businesses doing cost reductions these days are there still gifts during the world cruises?

Like most things this will vary by cruise line.

On Crystal Cruises we do received several gifts early on in the world cruise including jacket, hat, shirt, diary/journal, wall map, magnet, and this year a bag.

On each segment of the world cruise we also received a gift which usually was something related to the area of the world we were sailing.

Keith

1. Do leave space in your luggage coming home for them. Anticipate more stuff coming home. We allocated space in an extra rolled up soft duffle in our luggage to ship them home.

2. Keep your expectations in check. Don't expect anything fabulous. You will some that you treasure and some you might toss. That varies from one cruiser to the other.

3. If you don't care for a gift, offer it to the staff, to your kids, or leave it behind. Please don't complain. It was a gift after all.

On Cunard's 2014 World Voyage we received a tote bag (ball cap for the men) embroidered with the logo, a Wedgwood mug with logo, a diary, and a silk scarf (tie for men) in Cunard colors.

I was also on a Cunard's 2014 World Voyage, (different one from Scrapnana). We also received a diary but on one of the last days. I would have thought it should have been given out on one of the first.

We did receive a world map with the voyage marked. I had a lot of the crew sign it and it's one of my best souvenirs.

Yes you do need room for all your souvenirs but you will have used up some of the items to took on board so that frees up some space.

Don

• 2 months later...

Holland still provides gifts and traditionally you get a shoulder / messenger bag before the 1st port, a roller bag close to the end, a really nice gift (2014 WC was Tiffany world mugs), a commemorative hand painted plate of the cruise path, a diary with maps and other info, plus other gifts along the way. Have seen a decrease in the number of gifts but an increase in the quality.

I was also on a Cunard's 2014 World Voyage, (different one from Scrapnana). We also received a diary but on one of the last days. I would have thought it should have been given out on one of the first.

We did receive a world map with the voyage marked. I had a lot of the crew sign it and it's one of my best souvenirs.

Yes you do need room for all your souvenirs but you will have used up some of the items to took on board so that frees up some space.

Don

Great idea!

Holland still provides gifts and traditionally you get a shoulder / messenger bag before the 1st port, a roller bag close to the end, a really nice gift (2014 WC was Tiffany world mugs), a commemorative hand painted plate of the cruise path, a diary with maps and other info, plus other gifts along the way. Have seen a decrease in the number of gifts but an increase in the quality.

I would rather get something meaningful so I like that. Can't wait to get some gifts in 16 months :p

• 3 weeks later...