Getting away from infernal MUTS noise: Diamond Princess

lahore

Hi, having had a look at Diamond Princess deck plans, I'm not sure how far MUTS noise will travel around the pools. I loathe MUTS during the day and do not understand at all why anyone would want to 'relax' around a pool with booming MUTS noise. Therefore I am looking for a quite poolside place on an upcoming cruise in hot weather in Japan (that is not somewhere I have to pay extra to escape the noise - like 'the sanctuary). Anyone got any experience please?

Hi, having had a look at Diamond Princess deck plans, I'm not sure how far MUTS noise will travel around the pools. I loathe MUTS during the day and do not understand at all why anyone would want to 'relax' around a pool with booming MUTS noise. Therefore I am looking for a quite poolside place on an upcoming cruise in hot weather in Japan (that is not somewhere I have to pay extra to escape the noise - like 'the sanctuary). Anyone got any experience please?

Try the Lotus Pool or the aft pools. The inside Calypso pool would also be away from MUTS.

Why don't you want to do MUTS? I would think it would be nice to watch a movie out by the pool?

The Diamond has the covered pool area, the Calypso Pool, which will be relatively quiet and much cooler.

Although I haven't sailed on Diamond I have sailed on similar ships. I often read on the deck overlooking Calypso Pool and I never hear anything from MUTS when I'm there. Very peaceful and relaxing.

Why don't you want to do MUTS? I would think it would be nice to watch a movie out by the pool?

Many times MUTS has concerts during the day. A lot of people aren't interested in listening to a concert by artists they wouldn't normally listen to in the real world. I don't have a problem finding a nice and quiet place to read if I don't like what is happening on MUTS. Of course I was totally sucked in one day when I was crossing the area and saw that Casablanca was playing. I just settled right in and had some milk and cookies and watched the movie. :)

That's a rhetorical question, right? There might be 50 reasons he wants to avoid MUTS. After having my ears blasted by yet another repeat of Tina Turner, I asked why anyone would want to do MUTS.

That's a rhetorical question, right? There might be 50 reasons he wants to avoid MUTS. After having my ears blasted by yet another repeat of Tina Turner, I asked why anyone would want to do MUTS.

Some people like to watch movies, in fact most people do. Of course it depends on what they are showing. I guess it also depends on the age of the OP, if your older than yes you might want to avoid the loudness if it. It all depends on what is being shown. I am doing one on a few weeks and I am really looking forward to watching amicus under the stars, as long as they show a good and recent movie.

Some people like to watch movies, in fact most people do. Of course it depends on what they are showing. I guess it also depends on the age of the OP, if your older than yes you might want to avoid the loudness if it. It all depends on what is being shown. I am doing one on a few weeks and I am really looking forward to watching amicus under the stars, as long as they show a good and recent movie.

Oh, you haven't experienced MUTS yet, right? I guess you'll form your own opinion when you do, but it's not a steady diet of "good and recent" movies, and if you have no taste for the rerun concerts they are playing, the noise does wear on you, regardless of age. Good luck. I hope they show all your favorite artists and lot of good movies.

Oh, you haven't experienced MUTS yet, right? I guess you'll form your own opinion when you do, but it's not a steady diet of "good and recent" movies, and if you have no taste for the rerun concerts they are playing, the noise does wear on you, regardless of age. Good luck. I hope they show all your favorite artists and lot of good movies.

Same old same old for all cruises. All cruises I have been on always have loud music and other things playing out on the pool decks. It is to be expected from going on cruises, especially during the summer. Never been on one that hasn't had something playing on the outside screen regardless of the line.

There are plenty of places on deck to avoid the noise.

I like MUTS. I like movies on the big screen and especially at night Under The Stars. I'm a product of the drive-in-movie generation. However, I have no desire to be blasted by Tuna Turner. I simply go elsewhere when that is happening.

I stopped cruising Princess when they started MUTS. You could do the same.

Finally, a voice of reason.

I had thought there was some requirement of maritime law

that people do things they don't like, and then come to

cruisecritic to complain.

Surely there must be a ship/line that doesn't feature MUTS

(or equivalent).

Smile, everyone:)

As a Tina Turner fan, I just had to say a kind word about Tina on MUTS:)

I love it! Love seeing Tina and her dancers on the big screen with big sound. I like the Tina Turner concert morning, noon, or night:)

Proud Mary is fab!

Smile. Just had to offer this different view. And I do love the Diamond:)

I have also seen Tina live, in person, twice:). Ah, what a life:)

Same old same old for all cruises. All cruises I have been on always have loud music and other things playing out on the pool decks. It is to be expected from going on cruises, especially during the summer. Never been on one that hasn't had something playing on the outside screen regardless of the line.
How about a game of Wii the kids are playing on the big screen with all the loud noises? Or, a lovely promo to visit the shops that goes on and on. The sound level of MUTS is much, much louder than a band or poolside music. I've also experienced MUTS so loud that I couldn't sit on my balcony two decks below. When it's that intrusive, there's a problem. The sound is controlled by the CD's staff and some really crank it up. I'm not a fan.

How about a game of Wii the kids are playing on the big screen with all the loud noises? Or, a lovely promo to visit the shops that goes on and on. The sound level of MUTS is much, much louder than a band or poolside music. I've also experienced MUTS so loud that I couldn't sit on my balcony two decks below. When it's that intrusive, there's a problem. The sound is controlled by the CD's staff and some really crank it up. I'm not a fan.

Most cruise ships have a version of it on them nowadays cause most people want to be entertained while outside especially on cruises to the Caribbean or other warm climates. My last cruise on RCL they also have an outdoor television screen that is very similar to princess. It was on all day, the World Cup was going on as well. So they were always playing movies, games, music, concerts, etc on it. Also it was always loud out there. It's the price that you pay for having it there. If the sound was lower you wouldn't be able to hear it because most people are really loud. We didn't actually get to experience it, although we did want to watch a game out there. There wasn't a ouch seating to accommodate everyone or else we would have stayed out there.

Haha I totally am with you on that. I really dislike kids so I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise to Alaska I princess which from what I hear will be more older people which I don't mind.

Oh, I wouldn't count on that. Many parents bring their kids along because Alaska is lots of fun for kids and very educational. Maybe not as many as Caribbean cruises but there are still plenty of kids, at least in my several experiences. I might add, I do not have children but I do notice when there are kids on board.

I've never even noticed a MUTS during the day. I guess I always hang out aft of the ship or on our balcony. We do enjoy MUTS in the evening and love watching the movies which generally are current. It's nice to cuddle under a blanket on the loungers. It reminds me of "back in the day" at the drive-ins.

And then there was the cruise last year when they played the World Series on MUTS. Being from the Bay Area that was the best experience with MUTS. We even gave up dinner to watch the games.

Edited by iceleven

I have been on the Diamond and the Ruby and on both ships there were plenty of places where the sound during the day from MUTS was not to be heard.

Pool? All three of the other ones for a start. The Lotus is adults only and there is no charge for it. It was always quiet with few people.

Watching the ocean go by the Promenade Deck always has some nice quiet places.

On a ships this large it is easy to find a place that suits your needs.

PS I have never heard the sounds from my Balcony but they were not right below that area where MUTS is.

PS I have never heard the sounds from my Balcony but they were not right below that area where MUTS is.

We did 15 days on Star Princess in cabin A408. It's a balcony cabin smack dab under the middle of the Neptune's Pool area. MUTS is right there. We never heard anything from MUTS in our cabin or on our balcony. It may well depend on the CD. We never had an issue with chair scraping from above either despite what may others have reported.