Drink Prices Not That Bad

This was a seriously interesting thread with different perspectives before it devolved into the more usual CC hissing and spitting.

As to the "point" made by several that "if you can't afford it don't go" that is somewhat off the target and sophomoric.

I am lucky enough to afford (within reason) pretty much anything I want BUT I also demand value in exchange. I have zero problem spending money but HATE wasting it.

To use a different example, the Specialty restaurants. My wife and I eat out ashore roughly 4-5 times/week in some very decent places but she absolutely refuses to frequent an upcharge restaurant aboard. She feels it's a waste because "we've already paid for dinner". Doesn't mean anyone else is wrong but that's her take on it.

Now you can agree with her or not and all is well but the point is that people are objecting to the significant increase over a short time and the reduction is "perceived value" of the product. I documented actual costs and increases in my earlier post precisely so people could decide that question on their own.

As I said in my most recent review, my totally unsupported belief is that RCI wants people buying the packages pre-cruise so they can play the float on the prepaid cash for a couple of months. If true, that's not a bad business maneuver actually.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Nope, not the same thing at all, there are many things I can afford that I choose not to buy. Some are because they are priced beyond what they are worth, others because they simply are not worth having.

Just because I desire something, and can afford it, that means I should have it? That would suggest a lack of self control. If the value of something exceeds the cost that has been placed on it and I can afford it, then I might purchase it. But these don't look to be worth it.

Well if you don't desire it, I think you're on the wrong thread. :)

Well, here is the way I see it, either buy the drinks or don't, either go on a cruise or don't, it is entirely up to the individual. Complaining about it is NOT going to change anything, the prices are what they are and RCCL is not going to suddenly have an epiphany from reading these threads and say "hey, maybe we ARE charging too much".

Supply and demand folks, supply and demand. Why do stores charge so much for diamonds? Because they can AND people WILL pay it, same concept :D

Cheers :p

As I said in my most recent review, my totally unsupported belief is that RCI wants people buying the packages pre-cruise so they can play the float on the prepaid cash for a couple of months. If true, that's not a bad business maneuver actually.

In addition to this, how many people might curtail there drinking before reaching the cost of the packages? The 49 dollar package comes to $809.48 for 7 days for two people, how much is too much for drinks? My thought is with port days, and seeing the prices adding up during the week, would more people cut themselves off sooner? I know not everyone would but I suspect a lot of people would start to slow down.

Enter the high prices to encourage people to buy the package.

First off, that point is ridiculous because they very rarely ever offer a half price beverage package promo. Second off, $85 plus tip is the onboard deposit for another cruise.

I guess you can say it's ridiculous that I will spend $5,000 for a week in a suite and fuss over another $200 (assuming four a day) of drinks, I don't care. I'm the also type of person that goes one block down if gas is 30 cents a gallon cheaper. That is logical...

I'm not going to buy something that is obscenely overpriced and if you want to try and justify and act like they're doing the customer a favor by raising prices 40% overnight, I don't really know what to say I'm just going to roll my eyes.

I'm not attempting to justify anything for anybody. It's you that I think is trying to justify yourself of not drinking due to prices. My cost has not increased. I've never cruised w/o the Premium Bev Pkg. So nothing has really changed for my budgeting of a cruise. You appear to ignore the math just to pitch a fit. Which is absolutely not going to change anything, but perhaps your personal satisfaction. If you don't want to drink in protest, be about it. One thing I suggest that you do NOT do.. don't attempt to go one block removed from the ship to find a cheaper drink!

I'm not attempting to justify anything for anybody. It's you that I think is trying to justify yourself of not drinking due to prices. My cost has not increased. I've never cruised w/o the Premium Bev Pkg. So nothing has really changed for my budgeting of a cruise. You appear to ignore the math just to pitch a fit. Which is absolutely not going to change anything, but perhaps your personal satisfaction. If you don't want to drink in protest, be about it. One thing I suggest that you do NOT do.. don't attempt to go one block removed from the ship to find a cheaper drink!

This...

🙌🙌🙌

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by jakenashleysmom

This...

Didnt even have to go a block last year in Costa Maya or Cozumel, it was at the end of the pier, half the price of the drinks onboard.

A bars overhead?? Are you joking?? Do you have any idea what the overhead is on a $1.5 billion dollar ship? The price Royal pays for a bottle of booze is but a tiny, microscopic fraction of what goes into the price of their drinks. What do you think it cost to purchase, staff and maintain a one and a half billion dollar ship? There isn't a bar in the world with those kinds of expenses. Are RCI's drinks relatively expensive? Yes, but I'm shocked they're not much, much more.

Ok Rusty, I'll play. If you are making that comparison you have to look at what The Schooner Bar's overhead is, not the entire ship. You think the Schooner Bar has anywhere near the overhead that a bar in a major city has ?

That would be like saying a bar at The Bellagio has tremendous overhead because the hotel cost $2 billion to build. Any idea what the overhead is on a $2 billion dollar hotel ? However that is completely irrelevant since we are only

talking about the bar business.

The point was and remains that the cost to RCCL to make a drink is a fraction

of what it cost a land based bar to make. RCCL's cost to make a drink is but a tiny, microscopic fraction compared to what they charge.

Didnt even have to go a block last year in Costa Maya or Cozumel, it was at the end of the pier, half the price of the drinks onboard.

Please dont confuse this thread with actual instances that brings facts to this debate. Some here will not want to hear it. But, while we are on this story, I too drank at the two biggest tourist traps in Falmouth (Margaritaville) and Cozumel (Senor Frogs) significantly LESS than I did on the ship. The last time I checked, BOTH places were within stones throw of the ship.

But hey, our facts dont matter around here as we are only "pissing and moaning until hell freezes over" :rolleyes:

Ive hardly found myself on the same side of an argument as you around here. Im 100% fully on the same side in this one.

Please don't confuse the thread with actual math that adds some facts to the debate. Some just want to piss & moan til hell freezes over. But if $85 is going to stop someone from drinking on a ship, then so be it. But is silliness to get on a message board and state they're going to spend $5000 on vacation and then fuss til the cows come home about another $85. They won't change anything and we can't stop them.

But to the OP, I think prices are in line. I think while floating on a ship in the Caribbean that alcohol will cost you more than your local drinking hole around the corner. Silly me.

Toodaloo! :D

$85 is not stopping us from drinking on the ships, we will continue to drink what we want, when we want. I just don't need to drink a frozen drink, that costs almost twice as much as a gin and tonic.

We just don't drink as much as some on this thread do. We were only considering the Ultimate package for my DH because, with the current promotion, the flyer said we would get a free replenishment package. The value in those packages, for us, was the fresh squeezed OJ, specialty coffee and bottled water choices. Since the cruise line has decided to pull a bait and switch, we have decided not to spend more than $500 on a package that my DH would have probably not actually consumed $500 worth of drinks.

You can fuss over what you deem worthy, so can everyone else.

$85 is not stopping us from drinking on the ships, we will continue to drink what we want, when we want. I just don't need to drink a frozen drink, that costs almost twice as much as a gin and tonic.

We just don't drink as much as some on this thread do. We were only considering the Ultimate package for my DH because, with the current promotion, the flyer said we would get a free replenishment package. The value in those packages, for us, was the fresh squeezed OJ, specialty coffee and bottled water choices. Since the cruise line has decided to pull a bait and switch, we have decided not to spend more than $500 on a package that my DH would have probably not actually consumed $500 worth of drinks.

You can fuss over what you deem worthy, so can everyone else.

I saw that flyer and think its ridiculous they will not honor it if one still has proof said flyer exists. It certainly screams bait and switch for sure!

Please dont confuse this thread with actual instances that brings facts to this debate. Some here will not want to hear it. But, while we are on this story, I too drank at the two biggest tourist traps in Falmouth (Margaritaville) and Cozumel (Senor Frogs) significantly LESS than I did on the ship. The last time I checked, BOTH places were within stones throw of the ship.

But hey, our facts dont matter around here as we are only "pissing and moaning until hell freezes over" :rolleyes:

Ive hardly found myself on the same side of an argument as you around here. Im 100% fully on the same side in this one.

I'm the other way around. I'll have a beer, maybe two while in ports as I'm generally out exploring the ports vs sitting at a local bar all day just to my drink on.

But hey, you can always check w/ Jimmy, he might be able to deliver you a drink in between the ports!

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

The prices around here have gone up substantially as well, but I assume that is based upon our weak dollar (someone asked upthread why Canadians weren't objecting more strenuously). Over the weekend, I drank $18 Mai Tai's. They were delicious, but I could get them much cheaper in Hawaii. However, then you have to factor in the cost of the trip to Hawaii...

So, I can bear the prices. I see them here. What I object to is the decrease in service. I want my drinks in a timely fashion, and I want them brought to me. I don't think those are unreasonable expectations.

Cool. So you drink when you can. Got it. Will they deliver to the ship at dinner? After dinner? If so, you may be on to something!

:confused: you implied that cheaper drinks could not be had within a block of the ship in port at a better price, what does that have to do with after dinner? How does that justify higher than standard prices on the boat? I simply stated that I couldn't find drinks even approaching these prices immediately adjacent to the ship, perhaps I didn't go far enough? :confused: Is that some new debate tactic? Introduce a tangent and then imply someone else brought it up?

If I were willing to submit to robbery then I presume a server or bartender on the boat would give me a drink after dinner, is that what you meant? :confused:

Edited by Sitzmark

Coming from NYC I don't find these prices all that outrageous. What I don't understand is what the discussion is about. These are the prices, if you find them too high, don't order them. The price is what the price is, you can't change it. I don't see the point in stressing over a small item you can't control. Drink, don't drink, who cares? The bottom line is to just enjoy your cruise. Happy sailing.

:confused: you implied that cheaper drinks could not be had within a block of the ship in port at a better price, what does that have to do with after dinner? How does that justify higher than standard prices on the boat? I simply stated that I couldn't find drinks even approaching these prices immediately adjacent to the ship, perhaps I didn't go far enough? :confused: Is that some new debate tactic? Introduce a tangent and then imply someone else brought it up?

If I were willing to submit to robbery then I presume a server or bartender on the boat would give me a drink after dinner, is that what you meant? :confused:

No confusion warranted. I was replying to the poster that said he/she shopped to save gas and drove a block away to save .30/gallon. My comment was that he/she shouldn't get a drink a block away from the ship as he/she would be in the ocean. But I guess you can while in ports. But if you wish to have a drink during dinner or after dinner while the ship's at sea...you can't unless Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville delivers. He may, after all, it's 5 o'clock somewhere!

No confusion warranted. I was replying to the poster that said he/she shopped to save gas and drove a block away to save .30/gallon. My comment was that he/she shouldn't get a drink a block away from the ship as he/she would be in the ocean. But I guess you can while in ports. But if you wish to have a drink during dinner or after dinner while the ship's at sea...you can't unless Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville delivers. He may, after all, it's 5 o'clock somewhere!

Ah, I didn't realize you were only referring to the moments they have you trapped in the back of the windowless van known as a ship at sea. When you said go a block from the ship, you appeared to be referring to those times when you can in fact go a block from the ship. And since I've never seen prices like those on Royals boats (including at professional sporting events) I simply pointed out you don't have to go that far. If you only meant at night or while at sea, well then you should have said so. :rolleyes:

Coming from NYC I don't find these prices all that outrageous. What I don't understand is what the discussion is about. These are the prices, if you find them too high, don't order them. The price is what the price is, you can't change it. I don't see the point in stressing over a small item you can't control. Drink, don't drink, who cares? The bottom line is to just enjoy your cruise. Happy sailing.

Who's stressing over them? Some of us just don't understand those that seem to think it's appropriate and even worth defending.

A multi billion dollar company can certainly charge whatever it wants for its product, but why should I blindly pay it? Why should I not only accept and pay it, but actively defend it and argue that they should gouge their customers? The reality is that they don't charge these rates because they have to, it is because they can. If enough people don't like it enough to pass on it, then it will go down. If people continue to pay and fight for higher prices, then I'm sure they will oblige and provide them. I stated some time ago after reviewing these prices that I would simply skip the drinks and stick to soda.

I went to NYC once, as I got out of the car at the Grand Hyatt I asked "what's that smell". The doorman answered without missing a step, "That's New York."

Ah, I didn't realize you were only referring to the moments they have you trapped in the back of the windowless van known as a ship at sea. When you said go a block from the ship, you appeared to be referring to those times when you can in fact go a block from the ship. And since I've never seen prices like those on Royals boats (including at professional sporting events) I simply pointed out you don't have to go that far. If you only meant at night or while at sea, well then you should have said so. :rolleyes:

Perhaps without a sodden noggin you might grasp the intent without it having to be spelled out for you.

Keep yammering about how you can get bargain liquor off the "boat" (your word, not mine). It is still a meaningless comparison when the ship is not in a port.

You can argue the prices are high and therefore not of your choosing but dont try to make unsustainable analogies you cant support.

Perhaps without a sodden noggin you might grasp the intent without it having to be spelled out for you.

Keep yammering about how you can get bargain liquor off the "boat" (your word, not mine). It is still a meaningless comparison when the ship is not in a port.

You can argue the prices are high and therefore not of your choosing but dont try to make unsustainable analogies you cant support.

Perfectly fine and appropriate word whether yours or mine. I certainly never said anything about "bargain liquor" only a reasonably priced drink. And since you can't leave the boat when not in port it is a valid inference that we are talking about when in port. suggesting leaving the boat while at sea is simply silly. I certainly made no unsustainable analogy, I simply responded to an implication that prices ashore next to the boat were no better than those aboard. Why are you in favor of exorbitant prices?

I am one who feels the sudden jump in price is outrageous. I also find that the bar service on the pool deck has really gotten slow. When drinks were easy to get and $8, I would buy a few a day. Now that I have to go up to the bar, wait and pay $14, I am unlikely to buy any drinks. Does Royal Caribbean make money on me because they have to pay fewer staff and they made no money on $8 drinks anyway or are they losing money because I am not buying anything? Don't know! Only they know what their cost/benefit ratio is. And we can only answer if it worth buying packages or individual drinks at all for ourselves.

It is a pretty limited perspective though. For a different perspective there is nothing near here that approaches those prices. Why should I pay more for a drink on this boat than I do at a baseball game? Or with a nice dinner? There isn't a valid reason to do so and so I simply won't do it. I'm sure I'm not alone since as I travel around I don't run into these ridiculous prices everywhere. I ran into extremely high bar prices once when I had the misfortune to be in NYC and had a 7 dollar miller light at the Hotel bar, since it didn't taste any better than the $1.50 miller light I used to get, I stopped at the one. I suspect that the places where these prices are the norm are far outnumbered by places that are half or less the cost.

Really that's all I'm saying, you have a choice. Your choice sounds like it's not to buy it. Great! Mine is to buy it but to a lesser degree.

You're saying the beer on the boat is higher than your local ballpark? I tried to Google prices at my local ballpark Petco park and the only things I could find were craft beers for 11.50 (20oz) and a plastic bottle of domestic beer for $7.75 from 2010. So I'm guessing it's more now and I'm thinking Petco is probably the middle of the road or more towards the bottom when it comes to pricing. Anyways....