Drink Prices Not That Bad

There's alot of complaining about the prices of drinks but few if any discuss the discounting of the Premium Bev Pkg. I booked a cruise on BOGO50 and was able to purchase two unlimited drink pkgs for $600. That's $85/day for myself & DW each day of the cruise. She doesn't drink as much as I do, but I figure between the both of us we'll drink an avg of 12 drinks per day.

That's $7 per drink for beer, wine, shots, mixed, and foo foo drinks.

I'm all good with that as we're going to be on a Cruise Ship in the middle of the Caribbean. Hell, the Chili's down the street serves Margaritas for $11.

My point is some will fuss up a storm over little to nothing. Example, some say, "I only drink a couple of drinks a day." So two drinks/day in 2014 at $8 ea or $16/day or $112/week. Now in 2015, those same drinks could be as high as $14, $28/day, or $196/week. So what we're really talking about here is about an $85 difference for the cruise. There's alot fussing and complaining over $85.

Stop whining and start wining. :D

My point exactly! If I drink 35 beers over the course of the week (that's a lot for me) and they are $1.50 more than their competition or what they used to be, that's $53 for the week. I just plunked down $3200 for the cruise for my family of 4. Me personally, I'm not going to fret it.

Again this is just me and if those beers were actually mixed drinks then I may have issue with that other than being an alcoholic 😂

My point exactly! If I drink 35 beers over the course of the week (that's a lot for me) and they are $1.50 more than their competition or what they used to be, that's $53 for the week. I just plunked down $3200 for the cruise for my family of 4. Me personally, I'm not going to fret it.

Again this is just me and if those beers were actually mixed drinks then I may have issue with that other than being an alcoholic

Your point is valid, but for me the price difference for those 35 beers would be closer to $210. Since I'm married and both bills come to the same address, you can double it to $420, before gratuity, 495.60 after. So it's a diet coke week since a slight buzz isn't worth that much.

Edited by Sitzmark

This topic has been beat to death. I live in Columbus, OH and I can go to a top end steakhouse during happy hour and drink for $5 each. My favorite is the Long Island at Max and Ermas (a middle of the road restaurant) for $3.50. If I drink two of those, I am NOT driving. If you think it's a good deal on the ship, go for it. For us, I can assure you I will not buy any drink on the ship. We cruised in April after the price increase. We drank in the Diamond lounge and our bar bill was $0, where we used to always buy drinks during the day and would finish with a moderate bill. Alcohol is not mandatory in my life. I hope this 40% price increase works well for them.

This topic has been beat to death. I live in Columbus, OH and I can go to a top end steakhouse during happy hour and drink for $5 each. My favorite is the Long Island at Max and Ermas (a middle of the road restaurant) for $3.50. If I drink two of those, I am NOT driving. If you think it's a good deal on the ship, go for it. For us, I can assure you I will not buy any drink on the ship. We cruised in April after the price increase. We drank in the Diamond lounge and our bar bill was $0, where we used to always buy drinks during the day and would finish with a moderate bill. Alcohol is not mandatory in my life. I hope this 40% price increase works well for them.

Amen.

Your point is valid, but for me the price difference for those 35 beers would be closer to $210. Since I'm married and both bills come to the same address, you can double it to $420, before gratuity, 495.60 after. So it's a diet coke week since a slight buzz isn't worth that much.

Those 35 beers are costing you $6 more a piece? Before tip? That seems little out of whack. 35 beers times $6 more than what they used to be is $210. Is what your saying? What the heck kind of beer are you buying? 😆 I will say I am lucky that my wife doesn't drink, but her bill still comes to the same house.

But if what u say is true, then yes, $495/is a bit steep for an increase for 70 beers, but I am thinking I'm misunderstanding.

I agree also, again its a choice. But I do have to say that you comparing a sale price (happy hour) to a regular price (ship). So not a complete comparison since you can only get that price at a certain time that the restaurant is mandating. You could say that the restaurant is way over priced because you can go to happy hour on rccl and get your drinks for free! 😂

:confused: you implied that cheaper drinks could not be had within a block of the ship in port at a better price, what does that have to do with after dinner? How does that justify higher than standard prices on the boat? I simply stated that I couldn't find drinks even approaching these prices immediately adjacent to the ship, perhaps I didn't go far enough? :confused: Is that some new debate tactic? Introduce a tangent and then imply someone else brought it up?

If I were willing to submit to robbery then I presume a server or bartender on the boat would give me a drink after dinner, is that what you meant? :confused:

A reasonable person would realize that his comment referred to when the ship was at sea.

Edit -- I really hate reading to the end of a thread to post, but once again it bites me in the tukas.

Edited by John&LaLa

Those 35 beers are costing you $6 more a piece? Before tip? That seems little out of whack. 35 beers times $6 more than what they used to be is $210. Is what your saying? What the heck kind of beer are you buying? 😆 I will say I am lucky that my wife doesn't drink, but her bill still comes to the same house.

But if what u say is true, then yes, $495/is a bit steep for an increase for 70 beers, but I am thinking I'm misunderstanding.

No worries, apparently they don't teach math very well in Ohio. ;)

I agree also, again its a choice. But I do have to say that you comparing a sale price (happy hour) to a regular price (ship). So not a complete comparison since you can only get that price at a certain time that the restaurant is mandating.

It is even less a reasonable comparison, as the baseline was an establishment in a non-tourist destination. It's great that they can get a cheap drink in their town but by their own admission, it is just a plain city and in December is certainly not the same as the Caribbean.

You could say that the restaurant is way over priced because you can go to happy hour on rccl and get your drinks for free! 😂

Touche'

My cynical voice just suggested that the raising of the prices was to lower the break-even point for the packages (apologies if someone has already posted this). A lot people will buy the packages and then try to get their money's worth. More expensive drinks means less drinks to break even.

I have been following this thread as I am booked of the FOS March 2016. We have not cruises with RCCL since 2007 so I expect prices to be higher but I think the recent increase is too high. I have been paying $7.95 for a Knob Creek and diet coke with Princess. Not sure what I will pay on RCCL but I do have to question something I read on another thread. Is it true that RCCL does not have bar menus with prices posted? I object to ordering or buying something without a posted price. Yes we can afford the cruise (and the three other cabins I booked for our children) but I am retired and need to budget well so we may continue to cruise. Another thing I haven't seen mentioned but I have heard many times from people who have bought the drink packages on RCCL and on other cruises lines is they will dump their drink if it gets watered down when ice melts or beer gets warm before the finished it. They figure they paid for unlimited drinks so why not. So I guess drink prices are covering this waste.

Is it the anonymity of the boards???

I originally posted the drinks prices solely as a guideline for those who may have been wondering what I call a regular drink would cost.

Now I'm sorry I did it.

No worries, it was a bumpy ride

I have been following this thread as I am booked of the FOS March 2016. We have not cruises with RCCL since 2007 so I expect prices to be higher but I think the recent increase is too high. I have been paying $7.95 for a Knob Creek and diet coke with Princess. Not sure what I will pay on RCCL but I do have to question something I read on another thread. Is it true that RCCL does not have bar menus with prices posted? I object to ordering or buying something without a posted price. Yes we can afford the cruise (and the three other cabins I booked for our children) but I am retired and need to budget well so we may continue to cruise. Another thing I haven't seen mentioned but I have heard many times from people who have bought the drink packages on RCCL and on other cruises lines is they will dump their drink if it gets watered down when ice melts or beer gets warm before the finished it. They figure they paid for unlimited drinks so why not. So I guess drink prices are covering this waste.

I'm thinking you'll find your drink priced around $7-8 plus gratuity. It's the foo-foo drinks, margaritas and specialty drinks that have gone up. BTW, just ask your bartender for a menu and/or the price of the drinks.

I haven't read through ALL of the comments, but I believe the price increase is just another marketing ploy to make it justifiable to buy a package. I bet every person whose defending it buys the package. I'm not sure what the prices are, but to me spending $400 or $450 per person a week to drink is ridiculous. Could be sort of a brilliant move on RC'S part, and it sure seems to be working. I won't be buying into it.

It is not uncommon for most land based establishments to not post drink prices unless there is a special. But I'm sure they will tell you if you ask.

BTW, I haven't been in a few years, but Morton's Steakhouse doesn't even publish the prices on the food and all the sides are alla carte

Edited by John&LaLa

So at $60 per person per day if an average drink is say $15 bucks that would be about 28 drinks for a weeks cruise total. For us, our cruise will have three port days, I can't imagine drinking that much to make it cost effective. We'll order our drinks ala carte.....I don't want to be feeling "obligated" to drink that much to justify the expense, that's just how we feel. My liver should not need a vacation from my vacation.....:eek:

I just pulled up the menu from the place we went for Mother's Day, not a fancy place, bottle Bud was $4, Sam on tap was $5.50 and $7.50. House margarita was $6.99 and over the top shelf margarita as they call it was $8.99. Online menu doesn't show basic cocktails so not sure about a gin and tonic.

Same chain also has restaurants in Virgina, one less than an hour from where cb says she is from and the prices for some of the drinks I just posted are actually higher in Virginia.

Moral of the story, we are all coming to Georgia, Ryan, and you are buying!:eek::D:p

Keep driving south to Florida(Gulf Coast), most of the rests. and bars down here run 2 for 1 specials most of the day!

You have got to be joking, you cant get a glass of regular ice tea at a chain restaurant for less than $2.50. At least thats here in Socal.

Not true in Florida, (Chilli's, Applebys, etc.) run 2 for 1 specials bringing the price down to $2. to $4. depending on what you buy.

Edited by American Bear

Keep driving south to Florida(Gulf Coast), most of the rests. and bars down here run 2 for 1 specials most of the day!

Might want to avoid Massachusetts as restaurants and bars here can't even have happy hour specials. Even Embassy Suites in Massachusetts can't offer free alcohol at their nightly evening reception.

Sorry, I'm not. There is a mark-up no matter where you are; cruise ship, hotel restaurant/bar, club, bar/pub, restaurant, greasy-spoon, etc. You can't compare day-to-day spending to buying duty free liquor. A bottle of wine in a restaurant can be anywhere from 30% to 50% over what it would cost to buy it in our liquor store. Knowing what some of the wines cost me at home, and what they might cost in the US I don't find their mark-up out-of-whack.

Totally disagree. RCL's markup is way over the top.

Here's an example to show how crazy RCL has gotten with drink prices,,,,

We took a B2B on the MSC Divina (brand new ship) out of Miami last year, they offered drink voucher books that cost as follows,,,

Mixed Drinks 14 vouchers=$72. gratuity included. (abt. $5.15 a drink)

Beer bottled 12 vouchers=$52. gratuity included. (abt. $4.35 a beer)

This is why on RCL we'll stick to the freebies in the Diamond Lounge.:)

Might want to avoid Massachusetts as restaurants and bars here can't even have happy hour specials. Even Embassy Suites in Massachusetts can't offer free alcohol at their nightly evening reception.

Very true...we specialize in Unhappy Hours here! :D;)

Totally disagree. RCL's markup is way over the top.

Here's an example to show how crazy RCL has gotten with drink prices,,,,

We took a B2B on the MSC Divina (brand new ship) out of Miami last year, they offered drink voucher books that cost as follows,,,

Mixed Drinks 14 vouchers=$72. gratuity included. (abt. $5.15 a drink)

Beer bottled 12 vouchers=$52. gratuity included. (abt. $4.35 a beer)

This is why on RCL we'll stick to the freebies in the Diamond Lounge.:)

How did you like MSC? we did a old ship 10 years ago and loved the food

It is not uncommon for most land based establishments to not post drink prices unless there is a special. But I'm sure they will tell you if you ask.

BTW, I haven't been in a few years, but Morton's Steakhouse doesn't even publish the prices on the food and all the sides are alla carte

I actually have this issue with inconspicuous pricing. If I am in a store and have to do any work to find a price other than grab a clearly visible tag, I rarely buy. The way I see it, if someone wants to sell something to me I shouldn't be the one having to do the work.