vacuum packed food items

FTLcruisers

When traveling in Europe, my husband and I often see vacuum packed food items (specifically meats and cheeses) that we would like to bring home with us. We are not sure whether they can be brought aboard the ship and even if they are, will they be allowed back through customs when we get home?

Marianne

When traveling in Europe, my husband and I often see vacuum packed food items (specifically meats and cheeses) that we would like to bring home with us. We are not sure whether they can be brought aboard the ship and even if they are, will they be allowed back through customs when we get home?

Marianne

I hear of US customs confiscating these types of things all the time.

Thank God we can import some meats, cheeses and wines from Europe. Life would be very sad without Brie and merlot.

I found this link which might provide some helpful information from the CBP website:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Thank God we can import some meats, cheeses and wines from Europe. Life would be very sad without Brie and merlot. I found this link which might provide some helpful information from the CBP website:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Thanks = I had looked at that website but obviously didn't look hard enough. Can I assume that if we can bring cheese back to the US, there is no problem bringing it on the ship?

Marianne

I bought a wheel of Gouda cheese once in Aruba. Customs questioned me about it but allowed it when a more experienced agent came to my rescue. It was wrapped, unopened and had the wax seal around it. I think the Dutch writing confused the first agent. He kept asking me if it was meat. :eek:

If they are sealed for shipping, then it's fine. Fresh or raw anything is not allowed.

Wrong. Packaged items must be commercially done by inspected processors. See post #4. Even then, the regulations do not account for additional prohibitions when entering states like Hawaii or California.

Just last week, a Khapra beetle was found in a routine inspection of a foodstuffs shipment arriving at the Port of Oakland. That container (and related ones) were sent back to their originating ports.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Wrong. Packaged items must be commercially done by inspected processors. See post #4. Even then, the regulations do not account for additional prohibitions when entering states like Hawaii or California.

Just last week, a Khapra beetle was found in a routine inspection of a foodstuffs shipment arriving at the Port of Oakland. That container (and related ones) were sent back to their originating ports.

I agree, just a flat "Oh its OK" does not cut it and can get one in a bunch of trouble not to mention several thousand dollars in fines.

I surely would not get someone's OK on Cruise Critic. I guess though if one prints out this thread and shows it to CBP upon entry back into the US that might suffice?

Marianne

No problem bring them on the ship, and most, but not all of them can be brought back into the US without any issues. Make sure to declare them. Spices that you buy in bulk and have sealed, such as at the spice market in Istanbul, are fine.

Edited by zqvol

No problem bring them on the ship, and most, but not all of them can be brought back into the US without any issues. Make sure to declare them. Spices that you buy in bulk and have sealed, such as at the spice market in Istanbul, are fine.

Again- not necessarily OK. If I remember correctly, Turkey is on the nasty list for Khapra beetles. At entry into CA or HI, there would be extreme scrutiny of any uninspected and non-commercially prepackaged spices, grains, etc. and, if even the slightest question was raised, the items would be confiscated.

Thanks = I had looked at that website but obviously didn't look hard enough. Can I assume that if we can bring cheese back to the US, there is no problem bringing it on the ship?

Marianne

I can't speak about any other cruise line but we have openly and obviously brought a number of food items aboard HAL ships with no problems. We have brought big shopping bags of smoked meat sandwiches in Montreal, Lobster rolls in Bar Harbor, cheese in France etc etc etc

We do not bring food off the ships but food on has been no issue.

As an American living in Europe, I often take food both ways - 'English' things to my family in the U.S. and American things I still miss back to the UK. I'm fairly certain you can't take meat products into the U.S. (Mad cow and all that) and not too sure about diary (particularly if unpasteurised) would always make sure to check the relevant government website.s. Also, be sure to complete your declarations correctly, saying you're bringing food into the country and be prepared for your bags to be searched.

Funny story - I always take store bought 'Mince' pies to the U.S. For Christmas and packaging says mincemeat (chopped dried fruit, spices, and suet). Customs took a bit of convincing that they didn't contain 'meat'. Now I make sure I buy ones that are clearly marked with a 'V' and say suitable for vegetarians. LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk